2018 Honda Accord Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been driving AWD cars the last 8 years and live in the Midwest. We get snow and sometimes lots of it. Seriously looking at the Accord, but concerned about FWD in the snow. I had many FWD cars before my AWD cars, but that was awhile ago. I know I can put dedicated snow tires on the Accord, but I probably would not do that due to the expense and the hassle of storing and changing tires twice per year.

Thoughts? Recommendations?

Thanks.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Having worked in the aftermarket wheel industry for a while, this is a problem that all of my FWD and RWD customers face. What they normally do is run a set of aftermarket wheels with summer or all season tires, then switch to their OEM wheels with dedicated snow tires. It's just a simple swap as long as none of the wheel weights fall off (which almost never happens if the barrel was clean properly for installation). The Accord's TPMS system is done through the ABS system, so there's no need to run 2 sets of sensors. The main annoyance is that you'd have 2 sets of wheels and tires and need to figure out how to store them when not in use.

FWD does a little better than RWD in the snow (generally speaking), but nothing beats AWD.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I survived several St. Louis winters with my 1998 Accord 4-banger. Never had more than 8" at one time though.
I’d be concerned about clearance with the 10th gen. It sits low.

Reactions: Jeffbet

·
Registered
4 Posts
I’ve had a lot of issues with driving in the snow in this car. It’s not great I’ll admit but I’m looking into getting a 2020 Toyota 4Runner for the Wyoming winters

·
Registered
136 Posts
I've only ever had Front Wheel drive cars. North area of New Jersey I have had very few issues getting to work before. However there is a point, like some are worried about, where the snow is not packed enough and clearance becomes an issue.

There is a certain point where my Car simply just cannot go and I think that may be the case with most cars. But yah, I will not be worried about it personally if and when I ever do get to buy this dang 2.0t Sport that i want so badly.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I had AWD cars for the previous 19 years (3 cars, I keep them a while usually) before getting my 2018 Accord the clearance is about the same as with my last two cars and I do miss the AWD for getting going mainly when on a slope. I live in the midwest as well and we get plenty of snow and ice. I did get winter tires almost right away and they helped some. AWD was never any better at stopping or steering other than when pressing the accelerator and since I always ran all season on my AWD cars I think I have a little better steering and stopping with the dedicated snow tires. Overall I haven't missed my AWD most days.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I've been driving all over Vermont and Upstate NY for 50 years. Most of that was for work at client sites in small towns in the Catskills, Adirondacks and Vermont. I've never felt the need for AWD.
The biggest disadvantage of RWD is that you can only go forward and back when the city plows you into a street parking spot. With FWD you can just steer the power whatever direction you need to go. AWD is even better for leaving the parking spot.
Once you are moving, tires and ground clearance are the only things that matters.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had AWD cars for the previous 19 years (3 cars, I keep them a while usually) before getting my 2018 Accord the clearance is about the same as with my last two cars and I do miss the AWD for getting going mainly when on a slope. I live in the midwest as well and we get plenty of snow and ice. I did get winter tires almost right away and they helped some. AWD was never any better at stopping or steering other than when pressing the accelerator and since I always ran all season on my AWD cars I think I have a little better steering and stopping with the dedicated snow tires. Overall I haven't missed my AWD most days.
Depending on weather, I think most days it doesn't make much difference. It's those handful of days that I worry about. But, probably 95% of the time it is not an issue. Roads are mostly plowed in winter, but not always.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've been driving all over Vermont and Upstate NY for 50 years. Most of that was for work at client sites in small towns in the Catskills, Adirondacks and Vermont. I've never felt the need for AWD.
The biggest disadvantage of RWD is that you can only go forward and back when the city plows you into a street parking spot. With FWD you can just steer the power whatever direction you need to go. AWD is even better for leaving the parking spot.
Once you are moving, tires and ground clearance are the only things that matters.
I've spent time in Upstate NY and Vermont. Winter can be brutal. Definitely on ice RWD/FWD/AWD is a moot point. But, I thought when driving on snow AWD can make a difference. You are powering 4 wheels instead of two. What if one wheel finds some dry pavement? Maybe I'm incorrect here, not sure.

·
Registered
43 Posts
... I thought when driving on snow AWD can make a difference. You are powering 4 wheels instead of two. What if one wheel finds some dry pavement? Maybe I'm incorrect here, not sure.
Once you are rolling, AWD doesn't help much. YOu can accelerate a little better, and climb hills a little better, but snow tires are still way more important. OTOH the only RWD cars you get now are BMWs and Mustangs, and they're all too powerful for driving in slippery conditions, and none of them have enough ground clearance for deep snow. The biggest advantage of AWD may be that you can get a vehicle with good ground clearance.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Get snow tires. I have AWD and FWD cars. I’m from Buffalo originally...I had a FWD Saab wagon with snow tires that easily pushed thru 8-10” of snow. Where I live now I’ve had snows on a 2009 Accord, no issues with 6” of snow. My 1999 Saab was great in snow with snow tires. Tires matter...

·
Registered
903 Posts
Right Tires are Huge Effect on Pulling Car through .. Old FWD were Dangerous lift of Throttle and they would swap Ends in 2 sec.
Newer FWD are way better balanced ~ Plus ABS ~ makes it so much Easier . .

I have seen the Lightweight "Spare Steel" Wheels being Run with 215's / 55's seems to work well ..

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've been driving AWD cars the last 8 years and live in the Midwest. We get snow and sometimes lots of it. Seriously looking at the Accord, but concerned about FWD in the snow. I had many FWD cars before my AWD cars, but that was awhile ago. I know I can put dedicated snow tires on the Accord, but I probably would not do that due to the expense and the hassle of storing and changing tires twice per year.

Thoughts? Recommendations?

Thanks.
I think it was consumer reports who did the test. Snow tires on a fwd drive better than summer tires on a awd

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have never had the need for actual Snow Tires. Is there really any major benefit to them vs the every day all weather cheap stuff?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have never had the need for actual Snow Tires. Is there really any major benefit to them vs the every day all weather cheap stuff?
Performance is like night and day in the snow. You would be amazed. If you were winter hiking would you wear running sneakers or boots? Dedicated snow tires offer 2 major features that all seasons do not; aggressive tread with extra water siphons and a compound that stays pliable in cold conditions. If you live were snow is occasional and temps stay mostly above freezing in the winter then all seasons will get you by. In Canada, snow tires are mandatory.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I agree with @fazzster that it is a night and day difference between winter tires and all season tires. I never used the so called “all weather” tires, I prefer to have good winter tires and then when winter is over I enjoy the smoother ride and better handling of the all season tires. I currently have Continental WinterContact Si tires on dedicated wheels. What I like about them is that they perform well in snow and ice, but then they are quiet on dry highway pavement. They have a good combination of features.
I live in Canada, in a snowbelt, and although it is not mandatory to use winter tires where I live, about half of the drivers put them on. The province of Quebec I believe is the only one where winter tires are mandatory.

·
Registered
136 Posts
If I lived where it Snowed for sure, I think I would simply invest in two sets of wheels. Nice and quick to just pop them on and off for the winter etc. But here in NJ its not so bad.

·
Administrator
2,545 Posts
Since I don't drive my car in the snow (have a 4X4 SUV) has anyone noticed with or without snow tires if snow accumulates over a certain amount of inches it gets difficult to drive? Was wondering with the Accords being so low to the ground was it a certain depth of snow that it would start pushing/plowing the snow instead of riding/driving on top of it.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Since I don't drive my car in the snow (have a 4X4 SUV) has anyone noticed with or without snow tires if snow accumulates over a certain amount of inches it gets difficult to drive? Was wondering with the Accords being so low to the ground was it a certain depth of snow that it would start pushing/plowing the snow instead of riding/driving on top of it.
So I have experience with this in my stock 98 Civic LX. I think it mostly depends on the type of snow. Heavy, wet, light, or packed in. There was certainly a blizzard one time that my Car was unable to leave the driveway. Another time where the snow was actually very light, not packed in at all, and my car just pushed it out of the way without issue. Until you run into afoot tall snowdrift.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts