2018 Honda Accord Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. New platinum white 2020 Honda Accord Hybrid owner here from the Bay Area. This is my first Honda and hybrid vehicle.

I bought it last Sunday and have driven about 600 miles so far. I’ve been stalking this forum for the past 1.5 weeks and have learned a lot already. I’m looking forward to being a contributing member on here.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Be sure to share your experiences with the car... everyone's input is helpful. Here on the board I have learned what to expect from my car ... and what not to be worried about "because it is normal" for the car to do a particular thing.

For example I have learned that it is normal for the car to get about 5 or so mpg less in the winter than other months. Also that the VENT under the back seat is what keeps the batteries operating at the correct temp. using the cabin air to heat or cool them... thus do not attempt to "save" by not using the AC or Heat... if you want the batteries to be operating in the correct temperature range.

It is good to know also that the Honda Accord Hybrid is designed to function at it's peak when "everything is warmed up" to operating temperature. That takes a little while. You should drive at least 10 miles before expecting it to reach the expected and advertised mpg. If you do a lot of short trips, as I do, you are bound to be disappointed average mpg.

One other thing... I have noticed if I just drive the car like I would any normal gasoline car it seems to perform better than if I try to drive like the "little old man" that I actually am. The car seems to know how to save gas better than I do... it is programed to economize with "normal" driving. At least I haven't been able to "out think it". :confused:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Frank,
Great Information! I did not know about the purpose of the rear passenger, under the seat vents.

It’s also funny that you mentioned driving the car like a normal gasoline car. I was driving like a granny this morning on my way to work (30 miles of counter commute highway) and my onboard trip computer read 38.9mpg for the trip average; a few mpg lower than yesterday’s commute- when I was driving more aggressively. I should also mention that it was a few degrees colder this morning, too. I’m going to keep an eye on that.

Be sure to share your experiences with the car... everyone's input is helpful. Here on the board I have learned what to expect from my car ... and what not to be worried about "because it is normal" for the car to do a particular thing.

For example I have learned that it is normal for the car to get about 5 or so mpg less in the winter than other months. Also that the VENT under the back seat is what keeps the batteries operating at the correct temp. using the cabin air to heat or cool them... thus do not attempt to "save" by not using the AC or Heat... if you want the batteries to be operating in the correct temperature range.

It is good to know also that the Honda Accord Hybrid is designed to function at it's peak when "everything is warmed up" to operating temperature. That takes a little while. You should drive at least 10 miles before expecting it to reach the expected and advertised mpg. If you do a lot of short trips, as I do, you are bound to be disappointed average mpg.

One other thing... I have noticed if I just drive the car like I would any normal gasoline car it seems to perform better than if I try to drive like the "little old man" that I actually am. The car seems to know how to save gas better than I do... it is programed to economize with "normal" driving. At least I haven't been able to "out think it". :confused:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So far, I’ve driven about 800 miles since purchasing the car. A few less than stellar things I’ve noticed:
  1. HUD compass disappeared around 600 miles
  2. Occasional ANC feedback (loud humming/buzzing from driver’s side speaker when driving 51-52 mph. When I roll down my window an inch, the sounds disappears. I first heard this around 500 miles.
  3. When switching the units of measurement on my digital dash, this changed the units of measurement on my car’s navigation as well. I was able to switch back to feet/miles on my dash but was unable to switch back on the navigation screen. The only solution I found was a Factory Data Reset, which also brought back my HUD compass but reset some of my settings.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yes, doing the "factory data reset" can cause great inconvenience redoing all of your settings. I forgot to mention one thing that has poked itself up to many of us Hybrid, and non hybrid, owners... you may have experienced it... is the computer (middle of the dash big screen) "REBOOT". The darn gets a wild hair every once in a while and shuts down then reboots. The computer info doesn't seem to get lost while doing so and it normally picks up where it left off, but it is an inconvenience to say the least. I have spoken to the dealer's shop people who don't know what to say other than the company is working on it. A friend of mine who works for a dealer in CA told me that they have gotten many reports of the same problem, but can't give anyone a satisfactory answer to what is happening. That guy has told me that the factory folks are aware of the problem and are said to be working on it. The computer "rebooted" about 4 times for me during one 30 mile drive... that was the most it happened. Sometimes it goes for a month or so before it reboots. Who knows?!?!
Maybe it is doing one of those "Tesla over the air updates"

1 - 8 of 8 Posts