2018 Honda Accord Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I pick up my 2019 Accord 2.0T sport this Saturday and wanted to get everyone's thoughts on break in procedure for the engine. Generally when I get a new car I keep the RPM's within 3000-3500 rpm and don't use cruise control for about the first 1500-2000km. When I bought a new Toyota back in 2011 I was told to leave the oil it came with for the complete service interval and not to change it immediately or early as some people would tell you too. I was told there are special break in additives that need to cycle through. True or false not sure but I don't see any reason not to leave the oil in. Anyone know what the correct procedure is or have a different way of breaking there car in?

·
Registered
213 Posts
This isn't 1960 engine technology. Just drive like a normal human and follow the maintenance schedule. There is no such thing as special break-in oil, fluids, or additives.

Basically, as long as you don't gun the engine until it screams and slam on brakes at every stop, you'll be OK. You can use every feature and option from day one, including the cruise control and the radio.

Read your owner's manual, and ignore what some jerk says that contradicts what you read.

·
Administrator
2,549 Posts
This isn't 1960 engine technology. Just drive like a normal human and follow the maintenance schedule. There is no such thing as special break-in oil, fluids, or additives.

Basically, as long as you don't gun the engine until it screams and slam on brakes at every stop, you'll be OK. You can use every feature and option from day one, including the cruise control and the radio.

Read your owner's manual, and ignore what some jerk says that contradicts what you read.
X2 on reading the manual... there is a lot of information in the manual that will help in learning all the features of your car. I read mine and when I got to some feature I wanted to use I would go out to the car w/the manual and set it up. Reading the manual and putting hands on when I found something I wanted to know about or feature I wanted to use was my best way of learning about my car.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I did nothing to break in this engine. I just didn't ride it hard for the first 500 miles.

·
Registered
71 Posts
You can download a copy of the manual to read before you pick her up. There is a lot to learn with these cars. I know with my 2017 Camaro they wanted me to vary the engine rpm's for the first 500 miles not to exceed 3K rpm's. In other words don't drive 70 mph for extended periods. Vary the speed between 55 and 75 (I know 75 is 5 mph over on most hwys). Honda's may be different but I doubt it.

·
Registered
213 Posts
You can download a copy of the manual to read before you pick her up. There is a lot to learn with these cars. I know with my 2017 Camaro they wanted me to vary the engine rpm's for the first 500 miles not to exceed 3K rpm's. In other words don't drive 70 mph for extended periods. Vary the speed between 55 and 75 (I know 75 is 5 mph over on most hwys). Honda's may be different but I doubt it.
Apparently, Honda is different. Honda just says avoid full throttle operations for the first 600 miles and avoid slamming on brakes for the first 200 miles. Nothing is said about rpm limits, speed limits, nor drive times. In other words, just drive the car responsibly.

BTW, Who is the "they" in your posts regarding your Camero? Was it the sales person, service mechanic, some "expert"? How is what you were told match up with what's in your Owner's Manual? I'd be surprised if GM is still pushing ancient engine break-in methods.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Apparently, Honda is different. Honda just says avoid full throttle operations for the first 600 miles and avoid slamming on brakes for the first 200 miles. Nothing is said about rpm limits, speed limits, nor drive times. In other words, just drive the car responsibly.

BTW, Who is the "they" in your posts regarding your Camero? Was it the sales person, service mechanic, some "expert"? How is what you were told match up with what's in your Owner's Manual? I'd be surprised if GM is still pushing ancient engine break-in methods.

They would be GM per the owners manual.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Drive - It through the Mountains for 700 Miles that should vary the Load and Vary the RPM - Greatly ..

I Dropped out the Filter Early don't recall it was around 2400-3000 miles as Motor had 2 Long Mountain Trips under it's Belt .. in Very Warm Weather ..
Top off 10W-20 heading into the Heat .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts