2018 Honda Accord Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I was not really a fan of the heavy 19's on the all seasons... So, i decided to go lighter and add some summer rubber. Overall I was able to shave 12lbs per corner. As far as the tires, i went with some firestone indy500 firehawks which are fantastic. 235/45-18 so the speedo is basically unchanged.

Attachments

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hey guys, I was not really a fan of the heavy 19's on the all seasons... So, i decided to go lighter and add some summer rubber. Overall I was able to shave 12lbs per corner. As far as the tires, i went with some firestone indy500 firehawks which are fantastic. 235/45-18 so the speedo is basically unchanged.
Ditto, except I went with Pirelli P Zero Plus a/s, 225/45x18 on Enkei wheels. Forgot the model name. Because of the lighter weight, you should have improved the acceleration, braking, gas mileage, and ride by reducing the rotating mass; flywheel effect. The ride and handling should be better as well because of lower unsprung weight. The OEM Michelin Primacy’s are not performance tires. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea it does feel much more nimble. Still have trouble getting from 1st -2nd without the traction control stepping in (when it’s not turned COMPLETELY off that is). And yes the OEM tires were garbage.. loud, and In the wet, the traction was minimal..

·
Registered
849 Posts
Wow 12 Lbs - that's - Huge really like to Hear about Mpg If get some Early Reports - seems City Driving or anytime You Go from Zero or Stop Signs Lights etc.
You'd be Saving ..

Before & After Numbers ?

What Offset - any Gains in Stance ?

Thanks Dan

·
Registered
68 Posts
That's a lot unsprung weight savings per corner. However I would not go with 225's when I get 18's. I 'd like to improve handling so I would have kept the 235 diameter, or go to 245 even if the speedometer is off a little.

Reactions: BuickNut

·
Registered
163 Posts
That's a lot unsprung weight savings per corner. However I would not go with 225's when I get 18's. I 'd like to improve handling so I would have kept the 235 diameter, or go to 245 even if the speedometer is off a little.
Tire Rack suggests 225/45x18 as the replacement for the OEM 19”s to maintain the closest OD. My odo and speedo are spot on using tire this size Pirelli P Zero Plus. The 245 upsize will add some unsprung weight back as well. Might lose some steering precision as well. Should do great at protecting your wheels though.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Wheels

Yeah the Larger Tire Adds back 3 Lbs approx depending on Brand . .

Offset Used would be Interesting , maybe We haven't heard anything as what was Received didn't Fill Out the Wheel Wells Or Flush Out as Much as Thought . .
I Talked with Tire Rack Twice every Time Idiots have No Idea what the Proper Offsets are to Be .. ~

Might have Snow Certainly Not Driving those Firestone's in Winter ?

As Far as Speed-O I would worry about .2 in Height - even at 80 Mph would only be 1 Mph and Most of these Cars Today ~ Read Higher then what It's Actually Moving . .
Number of Reasons ( Leases ) Mostly - I have seen Cars 2.5 Mph High so in 36,000 Miles Least is Up 4000 miles Early and Faster . . ( I always Jacked the Tires ) so this went Other Way
I could Go 2000 Miles More - Still be in the Lease ( Window ) . . ( I Don't Lease any longer so it doesn't Matter )

I Bet I able to Go to 215 Tire that is Better Performing Tire and Actually Pull Higher - G's and Knock another 2 Lbs Off the - Hello - UnSprung Weight
Most Important is the Revolving weight

·
Registered
68 Posts
If I were to go with skinnier tires like 225-45-18's when I go to an 18" rim, and that's a big IF, I would then use much better rubber like Michelin Pilot Super Sports to get additional grip and make up for the tire width lost (if I can find the MPSS in that size). The only time I will probably put 225-45-18's on (which is the wrong size btw and does not match the circumference of our 235-40-19) is if I use the 18's for winter tires. I don't care much about handling in the winter or bad weather, and skinnier tires do better in the snow.

EngTech1 is right on the money. Most cars's speedometers read 1-2mph over the actual speed, which puts additional miles to your odometer that you did not drive. The best way to counter that is to go with a slightly taller tire. BTW, I know my speedometer is off by 1mph. There is a police radar display on the side of the road a few miles from me on a 35mph zone. I had the cruise at 40 and the radar read 39. It always reads 1mph less when I drive by it with my '19 Accord. Surprisingly my wife's 2013 Accord always matches the radar display.

Anyway, the 225-45-18 tire is actually still smaller in circumference that our stock 235-40-19, so your speedometer will read 1mph higher than actual speed, which means you are racking up extra miles on the odo and depreciating your car's value faster. The perfect match in 18" is 235-45-18. So don't trust everything that some customer rep at TireRack tells you (GHawkins). Look it up yourself on the many tire size calculators online. Do your own research when spending a large sum of your hard-earned $$, so you don't have to rely on a Rep. that's been on the job for a week or was told to move a certain tire in 225-45-18...

·
Registered
8 Posts

Those look great! A few questions - do they make them in hyper-silver or similar color vs black? Love the black on the white car, but I think a silver or grey would look better with my color combo. Second, are you running any wheel spacers? Do they make your wheels in different offset? If so, which offset are you running?

12 lbs is awesome - that will drastically improve everything from acceleration to braking and handling. Car and Driver did a cool test of the Mustang GT-350...one with stock wheels and one with the optional carbon fiber wheels. The carbon fiber wheel car was multiple tenths faster in the 1/4 mile, and it also coasted farther and felt much better vs the stock aluminum wheels. Great stuff!

Thanks!

-- Mike

·
Registered
23 Posts
I’m staying with my 19s but looking to change my tires to Michelin pilot sport 4s for the summer . Any feed back ? Did research they are ratted very high

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am in NY. Thinking of running 18 also. 19 is too much for the pot hole. How is the ride quality between both sizes?

Planning lower the car same time, what offset to fill the gap ad your all recommended?

·
Registered
16 Posts
255/40 18 Conti DWS06 on TFR 18 x 8.5 x 45mm

Reactions: Samuelx
1 - 13 of 13 Posts