2018 Honda Accord Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
AWD

And not just AWD on the base engine, available AWD across the lineup and engine options would be amazing. Honda offers AWD on every other vehicle in it's lineup besides the Civic and Accord. Honda has the platforms, Honda has the parts, Honda has the ability. Camry pairs AWD with their base engine, same with Nissan and the Altima and the Kia K5; Subaru pairs AWD with everything. If automakers want to stop pretending that the only thing consumers are interested in is SUVs, they need to start making their sedans competitive in relation to SUVs. I'm in the Midwest and (anecdotally) the main thing that draws consumers to SUVs is the availability of AWD.

I would gladly pay the $1,500 (the price Honda charges to add AWD to the rest of it's lineup) extra on top of my Accord Touring price. I don't care if Honda is trying to buffer Acura; an AWD 2.0T TLX needs to be speced over $48,000 to get the same features as the Accord Touring. I test drove a TLX and while I think it looks amazing, it didn't wow me enough to justify the significant price hike compared to the Accord. Likewise for any of the other premium/luxury sedan offerings from BMW/Audi/MB/Lexus/etc; the prices for their AWD variants with any of the features you actually want are almost $50,000 (or your stuck with a subcompact car).

Interior Color

The interior on the 10th Gen Accord is pretty good. It's reviewed well, and in my 40,000+ miles it's held up really well. But Honda needs to include a different interior color/color combination than just Black/Black. I think Honda offered a white interior on earlier year 10th gen Accords, but on their website and in almost every 2021 Accord i've seen, they only offer black interior. It just looks so bland. The German premium brands used to get flack back in the day for their black on black interiors being so drab. I think it would really help interior styling if they had some light(er) options.

LSD

IF no AWD option on higher output engine trims, at least offer or include a limited slip differential. I don't know how or why Honda included a LSD on the Civic SI, but no on the Accord Sport 2.0 or the Touring 2.0. If the price could be built into the lower Civic price, I don't see why it can't be built into the low selling higher engine trims. It would greatly help with power application. The current 2.0 Accords (and plenty of other FWD turbo cars) have way too much casual wheelspin.

New Rims

I don't care about the 19 in rim size, but for the love of god... PLEASE redesign the rims so the metal rim doesn't stick out further than the rubber tire. People complain about curb rash and the "hur-dur-durp" response is always some version of "learn how to drive." But seriously, go look at one of the 19 in rims head on and you can see the issue. Usually, the rim is more inset of the tire, allowing a slight buffer. I've driven plenty of big-rimmed cars before, including my partners BMW, and i've never had the issues with curbing as I have with this car.

Actual TPMS

An actual tire pressure monitoring system that can read each wheel individually and display current tire pressure. NOT the current wheel rotation sensing system that just tells you one of the tires is low.

Trunk Pass-through

Not sure why this was removed, my 8th gen Accord had it. But I miss the little cubby/door in the middle back seat where I could quickly toss things into my trunk.

Audio/Infotainment System

I'm hoping the Accord gets the Bose system in the 11th gen Civic. I'm no audiophile, so I don't need some groundbreaking audio system, but the "premium" system in my Touring is pretty meh.

More specifically, if they are going to continue to place the subwoofer in the rear deck, they NEED to better insulate or reinforce the back shelf. I didn't care that the premium sound system wasn't the best, but what was insanely annoying and embarrassing is the rear deck bass rattle. Despite taking the car to Honda more than once, showing them the known bulletin for the rear deck rattle, they never fixed it. So ... there's a sock bunched up between the rear window and the rear deck to help stop the rattle.

On the same topic/area, they need to have a better infotainment system. Mine has been buggy since day 1. Multiple trips to the dealer, multiple resets, and its still a buggy mess. I'll be fair and say it's probably a mix of the infotainment system and Android Auto. But I can't imagine that infotainment system is helping Honda's reliability scores (that take into account infotainment complaints and can weigh them the same as mechanical complaints. not apples:eek:ranges, but something to consider).

·
Administrator
2,838 Posts
But Honda needs to include a different interior color/color combination than just Black/Black. I think Honda offered a white interior on earlier year 10th gen Accords, but on their website and in almost every 2021 Accord i've seen, they only offer black interior.
They did offer ivory leather in '18... there were limited availability and I had to order mine to get it. Not sure why they stopped or why there were limited in production... as you stated black on black is common and bland IMO. If they don't want to do ivory again a red interior option on a black car would be sweeet!!!

·
Registered
2020 Sport 2.0T
6 Posts
AWD

And not just AWD on the base engine, available AWD across the lineup and engine options would be amazing. Honda offers AWD on every other vehicle in it's lineup besides the Civic and Accord. Honda has the platforms, Honda has the parts, Honda has the ability. Camry pairs AWD with their base engine, same with Nissan and the Altima and the Kia K5; Subaru pairs AWD with everything. If automakers want to stop pretending that the only thing consumers are interested in is SUVs, they need to start making their sedans competitive in relation to SUVs. I'm in the Midwest and (anecdotally) the main thing that draws consumers to SUVs is the availability of AWD.

I would gladly pay the $1,500 (the price Honda charges to add AWD to the rest of it's lineup) extra on top of my Accord Touring price. I don't care if Honda is trying to buffer Acura; an AWD 2.0T TLX needs to be speced over $48,000 to get the same features as the Accord Touring. I test drove a TLX and while I think it looks amazing, it didn't wow me enough to justify the significant price hike compared to the Accord. Likewise for any of the other premium/luxury sedan offerings from BMW/Audi/MB/Lexus/etc; the prices for their AWD variants with any of the features you actually want are almost $50,000 (or your stuck with a subcompact car).

Interior Color

The interior on the 10th Gen Accord is pretty good. It's reviewed well, and in my 40,000+ miles it's held up really well. But Honda needs to include a different interior color/color combination than just Black/Black. I think Honda offered a white interior on earlier year 10th gen Accords, but on their website and in almost every 2021 Accord i've seen, they only offer black interior. It just looks so bland. The German premium brands used to get flack back in the day for their black on black interiors being so drab. I think it would really help interior styling if they had some light(er) options.

LSD

IF no AWD option on higher output engine trims, at least offer or include a limited slip differential. I don't know how or why Honda included a LSD on the Civic SI, but no on the Accord Sport 2.0 or the Touring 2.0. If the price could be built into the lower Civic price, I don't see why it can't be built into the low selling higher engine trims. It would greatly help with power application. The current 2.0 Accords (and plenty of other FWD turbo cars) have way too much casual wheelspin.

New Rims

I don't care about the 19 in rim size, but for the love of god... PLEASE redesign the rims so the metal rim doesn't stick out further than the rubber tire. People complain about curb rash and the "hur-dur-durp" response is always some version of "learn how to drive." But seriously, go look at one of the 19 in rims head on and you can see the issue. Usually, the rim is more inset of the tire, allowing a slight buffer. I've driven plenty of big-rimmed cars before, including my partners BMW, and i've never had the issues with curbing as I have with this car.

Actual TPMS

An actual tire pressure monitoring system that can read each wheel individually and display current tire pressure. NOT the current wheel rotation sensing system that just tells you one of the tires is low.

Trunk Pass-through

Not sure why this was removed, my 8th gen Accord had it. But I miss the little cubby/door in the middle back seat where I could quickly toss things into my trunk.

Audio/Infotainment System

I'm hoping the Accord gets the Bose system in the 11th gen Civic. I'm no audiophile, so I don't need some groundbreaking audio system, but the "premium" system in my Touring is pretty meh.

More specifically, if they are going to continue to place the subwoofer in the rear deck, they NEED to better insulate or reinforce the back shelf. I didn't care that the premium sound system wasn't the best, but what was insanely annoying and embarrassing is the rear deck bass rattle. Despite taking the car to Honda more than once, showing them the known bulletin for the rear deck rattle, they never fixed it. So ... there's a sock bunched up between the rear window and the rear deck to help stop the rattle.

On the same topic/area, they need to have a better infotainment system. Mine has been buggy since day 1. Multiple trips to the dealer, multiple resets, and its still a buggy mess. I'll be fair and say it's probably a mix of the infotainment system and Android Auto. But I can't imagine that the infotainment system is helping Honda's reliability scores (that take into account infotainment complaints and can weigh them the same as mechanical complaints. not apples:eek:ranges, but something to consider).
2WD traction has come a long ways. The Type R performs better than the competition and does so with FWD, Honda design philosophy is capable of pretty amazing performance without. I drove a 300+hp AWD V6 car not long ago and my lightly modded, non-mechanical LSD Accord absolutely corners better. I feel like they are likely the last brand that would include mechanical AWD on their commuter cars. However, with electrification becoming more popular, you may see AWD electric accords as electric makes AWD more reasonable. But the idea of torque vectoring AWD on an accord -or it being on a fast accord even if it does exist seems extremely contrary to all of their design philosophy. AWD adds weight and unreliability, especially when a lot of power is mated to AWD (the STI is rated as the worst car in its class for reliability, #36 of 36), it worsens gas mileage and requires more resources to produce. Thats just not the direction things are going.
There were once rumors of a AWD Type R where the real wheels are electric. THAT sounds cool. I would buy that but based on everything I've seen, I wouldn't buy mechanical AWD car as a daily driver and thats what people buy accords for, even the top trim sports, still mostly bought as commuter cars.

·
Registered
2018 Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT
560 Posts
I doubt they go AWD but the LSD route does seem like a good idea. At least make it a standard feature of the 2.0t. I would also sign up for a read leather option for the interior, take my money right now for that. I guess my list is longer than just brining back the third pedal after all.

·
Registered
60 Posts
AWD adds weight and unreliability, especially when a lot of power is mated to AWD (the STI is rated as the worst car in its class for reliability, #36 of 36), it worsens gas mileage and requires more resources to produce. Thats just not the direction things are going.
Except... that's exactly the direction things are going in.

Want to know how many FWD, new vehicles there are within 50 miles of me (major Midwest metro)? 967. How many new vehicles within 50 miles that are AWD/4WD? 6,289! Even if you exclude pickup trucks, there are still 4,690 AWD/4WD vehicles for sale. It's not just snow climates either. Looking at a place like Phoenix AZ, Autotrader shows 3,343 FWD new vehicles within 50 miles and 4,152 new vehicles with AWD. No on NEEDS AWD in Phoenix, but it's clearly the direction things are heading.

You're not wrong, AWD does add weight, more parts means more issues that may come up (although I don't know of any reliability issues with Honda's AWD systems or Acuras SH-AWD systems), and it does hit mileage. But, SUVs are heavier and less efficient and they all come with available AWD, and that hasn't stopped manufactures from almost exclusively making SUVs nor stopped consumers from flocking to their new lifestyle purchase. I know Honda does amazing things with their FWD platforms, but people switching to the CR-V over the Accord (or other SUVs) probably don't care too much about handling characteristics and I don't think AWD on the Accord would ruin it in relation to it's competition. My next car (not SUV) will have AWD. If Honda doesn't offer it in the 11th gen Accord, I see it as shooting themselves in the foot and anecdotally, I'll go elsewhere.

·
Registered
2018 Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT
560 Posts
@Chad1064 I think you're right about AWD options becoming common place on everything. I think it would be cool to see on the Accord but I won't hold my breathe. @Grocery_Getter_A_GoGo mentioned the STI being ranked the least reliable in its class but that comes down to things that are not AWD related. Subaru makes plenty of reliable vehicles with AWD drivetrains. You can find plenty of AWD options that won't break the bank on fuel or reliability. There are also a lot of manufacturers using Haldex AWD systems that are essentially FWD with power pushed rearward during moderate to heavy acceleration over a fulltime AWD. Gives you a balance of benefits from FWD and AWD. I think throwing the "more parts means less reliability" line at AWD vehicles is much like people who are against the turbo 4 compared to a NA V6. We have plenty of turbo 4's running around racking up miles and the same with AWD vehicles. I think there is a shift to AWD happening despite the mild dip in MPGs because MPG ratings are already significantly higher in modern vehicles. If AWD added that much in cost, parts sourcing and reduced MPG that much it wouldn't be the centerpiece of a major manufacturer like Subaru and others following suit. Some time in the not too distant future we'll all be shopping for electric AWD cars anyway.

·
Registered
2019 Honda Accord 2.0T - M.T.
53 Posts
I really think that they should attempt to bring back the accord crosstour. It probably won't have as many sales as the other cars and suvs that honda has, but I think it'll cut into the sales of the venzas and muranos of the industry.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
See the problem is, the Honda products are so good that if they improved too much, the Acura and Honda products will be too similar.

My suggestions (off of the top of my head) would be:

• Get rid of the Claw taillights (many people turned off by the look of them)

• Refine the CVT in the 1.5T (since it’s obviously not going anywhere.)

• Raise power on the 2.0T to match the TLX’s output as it’ll be better to compete with the K5 GT/Sonata N-Line as it is down on power VS them.

• Make BSM/RCTA standard instead of being optional as the new Civic is being criticized for it.

• Keep it FWD ONLY as Honda does FWD better than any other manufacturer. Wheel spin isn’t really a issue in the Accord as it is in the K5 or Sonata, which can’t seem to put power down. Plus it’d be heavier and get worse gas mileage. AWD has always been a Acura thing & only available on the Honda SUVS.

• Improve tire combination on 19inch wheels as curb rash and ride quality are issues.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.