2018 Honda Accord Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My recently purchased Accord (2019) -- I was pulling small seed thingies out from the crack between the rear window and the body of the car when it occurred to me there should be no crack. The front window has a black sealant all around it, the rear window has a seal on the bottom, but the top and two sides you can actually see the edge of the glass. You could pry it up if you want with a screwdriver in there. I mean, it seems to me that you should have to dig out the rear seal before having access to the under side of the glass from the outside??? If th is is in fact an OEM defect I greatly fear for the future of this car.

·
Administrator
2,559 Posts
Not sure I'd call it a "defect".... IMO more like their "design". Like you I've found it's a trap for debris (I use the canned compressed air w/tube to clear it out), however I haven't noticed it to be an issue of water entering the vehicle which would be my primary concern. I wash my car on a regular (weekly) basis and have had no issues w/water getting in the car... I have also found that directing a straight stream of water in that area when washing the car also will clear the debris and further increase my confidence that it is sealed properly.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure I'd call it a "defect".... IMO more like their "design". Like you I've found it's a trap for debris (I use the canned compressed air w/tube to clear it out), however I haven't noticed it to be an issue of water entering the vehicle which would be my primary concern. I wash my car on a regular (weekly) basis and have had no issues w/water getting in the car... I have also found that directing a straight stream of water in that area when washing the car also will clear the debris and further increase my confidence that it is sealed properly.
This is not very reassuring. In winter conditions the water in that crack could freeze and lift up the window? They are really all built this way? They build these things in OH where they know a thing or two about cold weather. OTOH if it is intentional it is more reassuring than not. I do know that many car designs have "rear channels" on the sides of the rear window to funnel water away. But this is a bit scary. And to see crud in your brand new car is a drag. There's no easy way to get it out, either.

I will try to upload a pic for those that don't know what we're talking about. I'm new to the forum don't know if I have their m.o. for picture uploads down.

Attachments

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wonder if there would be any downside (other than cost) of just taking it to Collision Experts and having them seal it shut.

·
Administrator
2,559 Posts
This is not very reassuring. In winter conditions the water in that crack could freeze and lift up the window? They are really all built this way? They build these things in OH where they know a thing or two about cold weather. OTOH if it is intentional it is more reassuring than not. I do know that many car designs have "rear channels" on the sides of the rear window to funnel water away. But this is a bit scary. And to see crud in your brand new car is a drag. There's no easy way to get it out, either.

I will try to upload a pic for those that don't know what we're talking about. I'm new to the forum don't know if I have their m.o. for picture uploads down.
They are all built this way... matter fact my wife owns a 2019 Acura TLX and the rear window is the same as mine/ours (definitely a Honda design). I've gone thru a winter w/mine and haven't had it to be an issue... we get snow and weather well below freezing during that time. We've had members on the forum in colder climates than mine and have had issues w/their remote start not operating during extreme cold snaps but none have mentioned an issue in this channel. Other than it being a PITA to keep debris out of which I've found a work around (I'm extremely anal about keeping car clean :grin:) I'm not really concerned about any other issue(s).

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They are all built this way... matter fact my wife owns a 2019 Acura TLX and the rear window is the same as mine/ours (definitely a Honda design). I've gone thru a winter w/mine and haven't had it to be an issue... we get snow and weather well below freezing during that time. We've had members on the forum in colder climates than mine and have had issues w/their remote start not operating during extreme cold snaps but none have mentioned an issue in this channel. Other than it being a PITA to keep debris out of which I've found a work around (I'm extremely anal about keeping car clean :grin:) I'm not really concerned about any other issue(s).
Indeed. I was at the supermarket with my son and I said, "let's find another Accord and check this out." Now mind you I've owned a 2014 Accord and just got the 2019. Everywhere I went with the gray 2014 Accord it seemed that there would be three of htem at a light or four in a row at the doctor's office or whatever. So now when we NEED an Accord in the parking lot not one is to be found. But my son spotted a Civic so we went and checked it out. Exactly the same construction.

I must say I don't like this and I don't remember anything similar on my 2014--never had to pick those maple propeller things out of its seams. But it does seem to be across all models and is not a one-off mistake on my car.

I wish I was compulsive about keeping my car clean but I'm not. Oh no, indeed. Not.

Greg N

·
Registered
64 Posts
this is normal. My 2018 is like that. My 2015 was also like that. A lot of garbage is accumulating is this crack. I clean it every time I clean my car.

To prevent rust, it is better to have an open crack than a rubber where water can be trapped under it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
this is normal. My 2018 is like that. My 2015 was also like that. A lot of garbage is accumulating is this crack. I clean it every time I clean my car.

To prevent rust, it is better to have an open crack than a rubber where water can be trapped under it.
Well OK then! One less thing to worry about. But I will say that I don't remember any such thing going on with the rear window in my former 2014 Accord.

Now I can return to worrying about when the electronics will go kaput, when the CVT will snap like a rubber band, and whether I'm going to get gasoline in the oil.

Thanks to everyone who replied.

Greg N

·
Registered
904 Posts
Indeed. I was at the supermarket with my son and I said, "let's find another Accord and check this out." Now mind you I've owned a 2014 Accord and just got the 2019. Everywhere I went with the gray 2014 Accord it seemed that there would be three of htem at a light or four in a row at the doctor's office or whatever. So now when we NEED an Accord in the parking lot not one is to be found. But my son spotted a Civic so we went and checked it out. Exactly the same construction.

I must say I don't like this and I don't remember anything similar on my 2014--never had to pick those maple propeller things out of its seams. But it does seem to be across all models and is not a one-off mistake on my car.

I wish I was compulsive about keeping my car clean but I'm not. Oh no, indeed. Not.

Greg N
I'll have to - Check that Out - I Missed this as being an Issue , but I Park in Garage . . - Thank U for Noting this Area .
What I did Note was the Front Wind Screen was Sealed very Nicely and Especially " Liked " the Top of Wind Screens - Rubber Seal as it Forms Aero effect Over to the
Front Roof Leading Body Edge - this also Protects Paint on Front Roof Leading Edge - Nicely Done Honda .
Also Noted that Shape of Front Grill - Top - seems to Act as Bug/Debris - Deflector . where other Vechciles would be getting all Dinged Up on the Leading Edges . . and Roof Top
Leading Edge 10X Accord - Simply isn't !

1 - 10 of 10 Posts