2018 Honda Accord Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I have a 2018 EX-L with Navigation. I have noticed that when using the navigation, it will say, "turn in 200 ft on XXXX st." When you approach XXXX st, the navigation says nothing.

Every navigation system I have ever had (we're talking easily 15+ years) has announced when it is time to turn. They generally announce before a turn and just as you are approaching the turn. The Honda Accord seems to think you can pick which street to turn - even if there are 3 possible left turns in the 400 ft you are told about.

This is kind of dangerous as it forces the driver to keep a close view on the Nav screen - keeping your eyes off the road.

Has anyone else experienced this. My dealer says it is normal. I just can't believe it is normal - or if it's normal, then it's not safe. Thanks.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I don't have a problem with my Accord built-in NAV System.

1. It tells me which street to turn on (verbally and graphically);
  2. It tells me which direction to turn (right or left ... verbally and graphically);
  3. It tells me how many feet before the turn, then graphically shows approaching distances;
  4. It shows the street and direction on the screen ... I look at it;
  5. I read the actual street sign;
  6. I turn as instructed at the target street (which also shows zero feet on the screen).

Conclusion: Mine seems to work as expected. I also feel safe using it. No complaints!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't have a problem with my Accord built-in NAV System.

1. It tells me which street to turn on (verbally and graphically);
  2. It tells me which direction to turn (right or left ... verbally and graphically);
  3. It tells me how many feet before the turn, then graphically shows approaching distances;
  4. It shows the street and direction on the screen ... I look at it;
  5. I read the actual street sign;
  6. I turn as instructed at the target street (which also shows zero feet on the screen).

Conclusion: Mine seems to work as expected. I also feel safe using it. No complaints!

I am not trying to be contrary BUT .... what do you do when in traffic and in the 400 ft it announces (as example) a left turn, there are 3 options for a left turn. Or at night or in bad weather, when the street signs are not as easily visible? Do you watch the screen or the road?

An inexpensive ($150) Garmin Nuvi with suction cups from 2007 announced turns as you got to them.

I live in the San Francisco Bay Area and it's more than crowded here. If Garmin could include this on an inexpensive device 10 years ago, why can't they do it on a built in navigation on a $35,000 car?

My point in the question was simply to ask if what I was seeing with my Nav system was normal - as it definitely is not typical. I guess the answer from another Accord owner (you) was yes. Belittling me in the process is really unnecessary. But thanks for the answer.

·
Registered
44 Posts
It is normal if not optimal for the Nav unit in the 2018 Accord Hybrid Touring as well, I'd guess the same goes for the 2019 since I haven't heard of many changes to the infotainment system there either.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok ....

It is normal if not optimal for the Nav unit in the 2018 Accord Hybrid Touring as well, I'd guess the same goes for the 2019 since I haven't heard of many changes to the infotainment system there either.
Thanks. What do you mean by “if not optimal”?

The big deal with navigation systems has always been (for years) to give you total “voice guidance” as to make the actual map screen secondary. Older (2004-6) navigation units (built-in or portable) all migrated to “voice guidance” due to safety concerns. It seems strange that Honda/Garmin would opt to revert to a potentially more driver distracting GPS in 2018-9. States like California are getting pretty nasty about drivers and nav systems that are not built-in. It seems to be a matter of time before they come down on built-in systems too.

I guess its lucky that iOS 13 will have a new and improved CarPlay. Even the iOS12 experience (with .... Google Maps) is really easy. It walks you through your route verbally so that it isn’t necessary to look at your screen at all. Honda/Garmin could have opted to announce turns at the turn - but clearly opted not to. It wouldn’t take a programmer very long to have included this - as most nav systems have it too.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Not optimal meaning not the way I'd prefer it worked, I would much rather have it tell me Turn Left on 2nd st in 2 miles then again Turn left on 2nd st in 400ft and then finally Turn left. I have looked through the Nav system options and not seen a way to make it more verbose (say that third time to turn).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not optimal meaning not the way I'd prefer it worked, I would much rather have it tell me Turn Left on 2nd st in 2 miles then again Turn left on 2nd st in 400ft and then finally Turn left. I have looked through the Nav system options and not seen a way to make it more verbose (say that third time to turn).
Yes, we get “turn left in 400 ft” and that’s it! Try riding in any friend’s car with Nav. It will tell you to turn many times - especially when you get to the street. This feature has been available on all forms of nav systems for 10-15 years.

Its a simple thing to program, and Honda/Garmin seem to have either forgot to include it or edited it out. I guess they were too busy adding voice control to the nav and didn’t make the nav “voice guided.”

There is a 2019 Garmin update out ( I can get the link). It may just be new maps, or maps with software fix, or we may already have it. I’m talking to an attorney to get my Accord bought back from the dealer, so cannot update the car. My Accord also has the reboot and warning light problems. The nav acting like Clint Eastwood was the final straw. If I can’t get the attorney to take the case, I will have to sell the car. I don’t want to be stuck with all these (and possibly more) problems when it is off warranty.

The random reboots are the most annoying of all. It shuts down everything.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I am not trying to be contrary BUT .... what do you do when in traffic and in the 400 ft it announces (as example) a left turn, there are 3 options for a left turn. Or at night or in bad weather, when the street signs are not as easily visible? Do you watch the screen or the road?

An inexpensive ($150) Garmin Nuvi with suction cups from 2007 announced turns as you got to them.

I live in the San Francisco Bay Area and it's more than crowded here. If Garmin could include this on an inexpensive device 10 years ago, why can't they do it on a built in navigation on a $35,000 car?

My point in the question was simply to ask if what I was seeing with my Nav system was normal - as it definitely is not typical. I guess the answer from another Accord owner (you) was yes. Belittling me in the process is really unnecessary. But thanks for the answer.
I only described how my NAV works and how I use it. If you feel belittled with my response then, there's nothing I can do about that.

My conclusion in my previous response basically answers your question. To me it's normal. I've had Honda NAV systems on my 2010, 2014, and 2018 Accords, plus a 2011 Ridgeline and 2010 Gold Wing motorcycle. They've all seem to operate basically the same and I use them similarly. So, again to me it all seems normal as to how Honda implements their NAV systems.

P.S., I've never seen where it gives me multiple choices (or options) of streets to turn on. As in my earlier response, it tells me the one and only street or intersection to turn at ... eyes on the road reading the street signs.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Good day, I read this and other user comments about the Nav system with a good deal of concern.

I am moving on from my Ford Fusion Sport which has a very good MySync3 system and a great Nav that does make that final"announcement" as you approach the turn (it does a double-chime vs. "turn now") and routes me properly, also taking into account current traffic conditions.

There are so few comments from owners about the Accord Nav performance and I read somewhere, one person stating the routing was such that he was getting the worst, most inefficient routes. (Maybe his guidance preferences were incorrectly set and he did not realize this, hopefully).

Waze, Google maps is not an option for me, I need a good reliable car Nav.

The missing "last announcement on an upcoming turn is very important for me and if there is truth that the Nav route guidance is also at question, I maybe have a deal killer on my hands here.

I am a low vision person and a proper built-in Nav is critical for me.

If anyone cares to detail their opinions on their experiences I would read with great interest. If anyone knows of a forum or link that better details this aspect from other users, that too would be of great help.

The Accord 2.0 touring is pushing all the right buttons for me, the Nav guidance and voice commands\verbal guidance crucial for me.

I have a decision to make before end of September, any guidance (no pun intended) is greatly appreciated

Thanks,

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for confirming that other cars - other makes and models - do give an final turn announcement. Since I am the OP, you know what I see. But I will reiterate. I do tend to rely heavily on Nav when I am in unfamiliar areas. Since I have been using Nav for so long (15 years on lots of cars), when I now don’t get that final turn announcement, it is very disconcerting for me. In fact I challenge anyone with a different make/model of car (built in the last 5 years) with built-in navigation to say that it doesn’t produce an announcement at the actual turn.

I doubt anyone will find a car whose Nav acts as the Honda. They will all act like your car. I don’t know why Hondas don't announce turns at the turn, but it is annoying - and totally unnecessary. GPS is very accurate in 2019. Even 10 years ago, it was harder to lock in your precise location. That makes it easier to give last moment turn announcements. Why Garmin left this out is beyond me. Why Honda does not admit it is an oversight or problem is beyond me.

I will say in my case that I am going to wait until I have a bit of extra cash and unload the Honda ASAP! I will lose a fortune, but a navigation system is an important system in 2019. Carplay or AA is NOT a proper way around it! I totally regret having bought an Accord, especially since it drives so well. Then again, I have been plagued with other electronic problems since I bought the thing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts