2018 Honda Accord Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I have a 2018 sport 2.0 t. Love at the death. I usually put 89 octane into my tank. If I would have put slightly higher octane like 91 into my tank, what I noticed that much of a boost in performance? Also, with that hurt or damage my ECU, or my mass airflow sensor? Thanks in advance for any suggestions...

·
Registered
2018 Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT
560 Posts
Anybody who says they notice any sort of performance boost from any grade of pump gas is getting a full on placebo effect. Better quality of fuel and cleaning agents in the fuel will do more for your engine than higher octane itself. It won't cause any damage to anything. If anything your ecu adapts to it and usually takes at least 1-2 tanks of that octane for the ecu parameters to adapt to the higher octane. But again, even at that you won't see a huge gain in performance or fuel mileage. right now with the price of gas I'd just stick with running the lower octane, but use a quality brand.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Anybody who says they notice any sort of performance boost from any grade of pump gas is getting a full on placebo effect. Better quality of fuel and cleaning agents in the fuel will do more for your engine than higher octane itself. It won't cause any damage to anything. If anything your ecu adapts to it and usually takes at least 1-2 tanks of that octane for the ecu parameters to adapt to the higher octane. But again, even at that you won't see a huge gain in performance or fuel mileage. right now with the price of gas I'd just stick with running the lower octane, but use a quality brand.
Hey, thanks for the help there! Yes, with the price of gas right now I wasn't thinking of doing that at all. I just wanted to know for my own sake and Saturday lol. Placebo effect? Could be. I swear my throttle is sharper though in sport mode when using my paddles but who knows mhmmm Thanks again for the info...

·
Registered
2018 Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT
560 Posts
Hey, if it makes the car feel better and you enjoy it more then thats awesome. Just stick with quality fuel, your engine will appreciate it. It matters a little less for keepign valves clean on these DI cars but good fuel with good cleaning products dont hurt. No worries on any damage to the ecu or anything, all good there.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey, if it makes the car feel better and you enjoy it more then thats awesome. Just stick with quality fuel, your engine will appreciate it. It matters a little less for keepign valves clean on these DI cars but good fuel with good cleaning products dont hurt. No worries on any damage to the ecu or anything, all good there.
Cool thanks Cool beans! I appreciate it. That's what I thought I just want to make sure. That's all.

·
Registered
Lunar Silver 2019 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 10AT
341 Posts
If you’re tuned you need to run 91+ octane or higher.
Keep an eye on Knock Control value.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here in Ohio I can definitely notice a difference between the 87 I usually get from Kroger vs Shell's 93 octane V-Power Nitro+. Just feels like a bit more low end torque.
Yeah, that's what I'm saying. The second I hit my gas, I swear the engine just a little bit punchier. I don't know if it's a placebo effect though. Lol.
If you’re tuned you need to run 91+ octane or higher.
Keep an eye on Knock Control value.
I'm not so sure I need to worry about the knock control valve, I'm not tuned just curious about the octane level. Thanks though.

·
Registered
52 Posts
The name is everything. In this case, everything that is wrong here.

If someone sees a pump labeled "premium fuel," it is natural to think that this means there is something extra-special-chocolatey about the fuel. Since it is recommended for cars with better performance, it is then natural to think the fuel is, at least in part, responsible for better performance.

It isn't the fuel that is "premium." It is the premium engine in the car that needs a different kind of fuel. So "gas for premium engines" is a better name. I'm not suggesting the name can be changed, but this is a way to start explaining it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.