2018 Honda Accord Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ran my Accord this evening at the drag strip and was very very impressed.

Temperature: 43F Degrees

Model: 2018 Accord Sport 2.0T
Transmission: 10-spd Automatic
Performance Modifications: None (Bone Stock)

Vehicle Prep:
- Removed the spare tire and accessories from the trunk
- 3/4 tank of 93 octane
- Tire pressure was not modified

Best Run: 13.886 at 100.13 mph
Worst Run: 14.202 at 101.28 mph

Ran the car 4 times

·
Registered
63 Posts
Very, very impressive. What else can you say. Well done.

Reactions: Abe Froman

·
Administrator
2,545 Posts
Nice job!!! I would guess you were in "sport" mode... if so were you shifting yourself or letting the transmission do it?

Also I have been reading in some of your other posts that you will be doing some engine/peformance mods... will you be getting/doing a dyno run prior to installation of those parts? Would be interesting to see real world wheel hp/tq.

BTW... it appears the car in the opposite lane was the same on each of your runs... was this coincidence or were there some bragging rights on the line :smile: ... and what was make/model of that vehicle?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice job!!! I would guess you were in "sport" mode... if so were you shifting yourself or letting the transmission do it?

Also I have been reading in some of your other posts that you will be doing some engine/peformance mods... will you be getting/doing a dyno run prior to installation of those parts? Would be interesting to see real world wheel hp/tq.

BTW... it appears the car in the opposite lane was the same on each of your runs... was this coincidence or were there some bragging rights on the line :smile: ... and what was make/model of that vehicle?
In SPORT mode with traction control ON produced the best runs. I let the car handle the shifting.

I will be doing some performance mods, however I'm going to skip the dyno process. The dyno is a tool but often unreliable. The best barometer is to do a modification and then do a 1/4 mile run...This will produce the best real world conclusions.

The car marked 906 was my brother in law in a 2015 Stage 2 Fiat Abarth. This was my old winter car that I sold to him prior to buying the Accord.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Those are some great numbers Abe, especially since you've yet to really start doing any performance upgrades. Most have been nice to continuously beat your older tuned car, while still running stock.

·
Administrator
2,545 Posts
In SPORT mode with traction control ON produced the best runs. I let the car handle the shifting.

I will be doing some performance mods, however I'm going to skip the dyno process. The dyno is a tool but often unreliable. The best barometer is to do a modification and then do a 1/4 mile run...This will produce the best real world conclusions.

The car marked 906 was my brother in law in a 2015 Stage 2 Fiat Abarth. This was my old winter car that I sold to him prior to buying the Accord.
Thanks for the additional info... nice to know what did/will produce the best runs

I do agree that the dyno is a tool... and a tool only as good as the dyno operator/tuner working it. However even when using a downloaded map/tune there can be some adjustments/gains that can be delivered by a competent dyno operator/tuner as the download is specific to the car it was produced on and often no two (or more) cars are identical... close but not identical. I was just curious as to what real world wheel HP/TQ are compared to Honda's stated 252 HP/273TQ. It has been my experience that manufacturers will at time use the ratings from the crank vs wheel(s) to inflate their numbers.

Sounds like you may be setting your brother in law up to purchase his next vehicle from you. :wink: :grin:

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the additional info... nice to know what did/will produce the best runs

I do agree that the dyno is a tool... and a tool only as good as the dyno operator/tuner working it. However even when using a downloaded map/tune there can be some adjustments/gains that can be delivered by a competent dyno operator/tuner as the download is specific to the car it was produced on and often no two (or more) cars are identical... close but not identical. I was just curious as to what real world wheel HP/TQ are compared to Honda's stated 252 HP/273TQ. It has been my experience that manufacturers will at time use the ratings from the crank vs wheel(s) to inflate their numbers.

Sounds like you may be setting your brother in law up to purchase his next vehicle from you. :wink: :grin:
Perhaps :wink:

I guess PRL has had a difficult time dynoing the 10spd automatic because it doesn't allow you to hold gear properly.

I would also say, that Honda's numbers on this Accord might be a little underrated. Often, manufacturers will test the car with a heat soaked intercooler to drop the performance for insurance purposes (example: The 2004 Neon SRT4 claimed 230hp/250TQ, but people were dynoing at 250Hp / 260TQ at the wheels in stock trim). Also, Honda may have very likely tested the vehicle with 87 octane instead of 93. For me, any car that is turbo or supercharged is automatically getting filled with 93 octane all of the time.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Ran my Accord this evening at the drag strip and was very very impressed.

Temperature: 43F Degrees

Performance Modifications: None (Bone Stock)

Vehicle Prep:
- 3/4 tank of 93 octane
- Tire pressure was not modified

Best Run: 13.886 at 100.13 mph
Worst Run: 14.202 at 101.28 mph

Ran the car 4 times

I Knew there would be someone doing some Testing and have real Numbers - Great Post
I also agree Real World Testing and Time slips are generally better method as long as Tester is doing everything the same ..
Seems as the Runs went on ~ Heat ~ Started to make some Difference , so how much time was taking place between Runs . . approximately ~

Attachments

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I Knew there would be someone doing some Testing and have real Numbers - Great Post
I also agree Real World Testing and Time slips are generally better method as long as Tester is doing everything the same ..
Seems as the Runs went on ~ Heat ~ Started to make some Difference , so how much time was taking place between Runs . . approximately ~
(Run #1) Time: 6:02PM...14.20
(Run #2) Time: 6:05PM...13.88
(Run #3) Time: 6:15PM...13.94
(Run #4) Time: 6:22PM...13.97

It was a pretty brisk night so I didn't really detect any noticeable heat soak. The worst run of 14.20 was just me spinning a little bit more than I intended. I quickly remedied that in the following three runs by leaving the traction control ON.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'll be headed back out to the drag strip tonight to see if the newly installed PRL stage 1 intake has any verifiable positive affects. The conditions should be close to identical from the last time I ran the car. I'm hoping I can eek into the 13.7 range.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ran the Accord again last night with the newly installed PRL Stage 1 intake.

Date: 11/1/18
Temperature: 44F Degrees

Performance Modifications: PRL Stage 1 Intake

Vehicle Prep:
- little under 3/4 tank of 93 octane
- 4-5 psi removed from the front tires

Best Run: 13.859 at 99.08 mph
Worst Run: 13.987 at 101.07 mph

Conclusions:
This time around, I tried a couple of different driving techniques and played around a little with tire pressure. In addition, I installed the PRL stage 1 intake while maintaining the stock tune. What I have found is the Accord would actually be a pretty good bracket racer as it's very consistent. In total, I have run my Accord down the 1/4 mile 8 times now and no matter what I changed, the car ran very consistent times within .1 seconds of each other. My second conclusion, is the stock intake is more than efficient and there is no need for an "upgrade." I ran my best time of 13.859 at 99.08 (2.256 60ft) and that was simply due to hooking properly.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Have You Installed the Winter Set Up on Tires Yet ?

Wide Tires with Lower sure might get You better 60 ft time or 180 ft. starts falling off after that . .

Getting Air in Faster & Easier is always benefit , but You must also be able to get it out .. Mid Pipe Time ..
Lighter Wheels . .

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Have You Installed the Winter Set Up on Tires Yet ?

Wide Tires with Lower sure might get You better 60 ft time or 180 ft. starts falling off after that . .

Getting Air in Faster & Easier is always benefit , but You must also be able to get it out .. Mid Pipe Time ..
Lighter Wheels . .
I'm not doing winter tires this year. I've been more curious on what the ceiling (1/4 mile time wise) is for the stock setup.

An aftermarket intake on this car is pointless...your stock intake works just fine.

·
Registered
903 Posts
CIA , May Count If You have Tune and Mid Pipe . . I'd like to see a Fully Engineered One Thou

Be Careful on those Roads this Winter .. . .

Just got back from 1400 miles Trip .. all Toll Not to Bad - Oil Use Finally seems to have slowed to Zero .. It maybe the Temps , but also
Now have 4000 miles on Clock ..

·
Registered
4 Posts
There’s a couple tunes out there. 1st question, what’s everyone’s favorite? 2nd for added horsepower daily driving, racing around the back roads here and there, is there any potential harm to my car with a tune? Transmission, motor, drivetrain. Etc

·
Registered
133 Posts
There’s a couple tunes out there. 1st question, what’s everyone’s favorite? 2nd for added horsepower daily driving, racing around the back roads here and there, is there any potential harm to my car with a tune? Transmission, motor, drivetrain. Etc
Your best bet would be a search or start a new thread :wink:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ran the Accord again last night with the newly installed PRL Stage 1 intake.

Date: 11/1/18
Temperature: 44F Degrees

Performance Modifications: PRL Stage 1 Intake

Vehicle Prep:
- little under 3/4 tank of 93 octane
- 4-5 psi removed from the front tires

Best Run: 13.859 at 99.08 mph
Worst Run: 13.987 at 101.07 mph

Conclusions:
This time around, I tried a couple of different driving techniques and played around a little with tire pressure. In addition, I installed the PRL stage 1 intake while maintaining the stock tune. What I have found is the Accord would actually be a pretty good bracket racer as it's very consistent. In total, I have run my Accord down the 1/4 mile 8 times now and no matter what I changed, the car ran very consistent times within .1 seconds of each other. My second conclusion, is the stock intake is more than efficient and there is no need for an "upgrade." I ran my best time of 13.859 at 99.08 (2.256 60ft) and that was simply due to hooking properly.
I'm sure it's all within the margin of error, but it seems you lost a little bit of MPH in the trap. Stock you had a run at almost 102mph (best trap), and PRL intake you actually had a run at 98mph (worst trap). At best, it's within the margin of error and identical to your stock intake runs.

This does not seem to reflect the claimed 16whp gain of this intake. I would expect to see a consistent 1mph gain across the board with +16whp. Your lowered tire pressure alone could account for the faster ET.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts