2018 Honda Accord Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my accord back october 2017. I'm starting to notice that I am changing my oil before I even hit 3k miles. My oil life runs out pretty fast. I dont drive much but I'm at 8.5k miles and I had my 3rd oil change already . Is this normal or not? Because on the dashboard it says my oil life its 40 percent so soon I'll be on my 4th change.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Are you resetting the service reminders each time you do an oil change??

·
Registered
10 Posts
The “maintenance minder” system bases services on how you drive and idling times. The harder you drive it, or sit in traffic will require more frequent oil changes.

·
Registered
194 Posts
3 Oil changes at 8.5K miles is not normal. The Maintenance Minder doesn't come on until the oil life is at 15%. You can go as low as 5% before worrying about an oil change.

Changing oil above the 15% point is not needed and a big waste of money. You should be getting around 7K miles between oil changes. The only exception to this is if the oil level is low which should not happen with Honda engines.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
when the Honda service center changes my oil they reset the reminder. and I think it's my mistake i guess. i have never let the reminder hit 5% i change it when it says 10 or 15 percent. It's my first car ever so thats why i needed to ask. thanks guys

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
That seems like a LOT of oil changing. What part of the world are you in? What are your most common drives like? Do you idle a lot? I went to dinner the other day and a guy in a service van was parked 3 spaces down, sitting in the idling van. When I came out to leave, thirty something minutes later, he was still parked there with the van idling.

My best half has had Acuras for 11 years or so and usually gets 7500 miles or so before the 5% oil life remaining. My cars that had a MM were fairly similar. My Accord is too new to tell yet.

The MM is supposed to know all but if it's telling you to change your oil every 3k or so I'd have it checked out for proper programming and functioning. Today's cars with today's oil should easily go twice that.

·
Registered
11 Posts
100% Right

The “maintenance minder” system bases services on how you drive and idling times. The harder you drive it, or sit in traffic will require more frequent oil changes.

Yeah im going to agree with Kayos on what he said. Im at 15k with my accord and have done 3 oil changes so far. My drives are long drives & no traffic so my oil life last alot longer. Change my oil every 5k miles from what im averaging.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It's possible that the dealer did not actually change the oil or filter during one of your visits but did reset the maintenance reminder. That would explain why it seems you have accelerated decrease on the oil life monitor.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hey Everyone,

having served 24 years as a engineer in the Navy, I definately know oils. Ive also operated 10 minute oil change stores and the 3K myth is from this industry as well as dealers to keep the bays full and was made before synthetic oils and blends entered the private market.

Running a full synthetic gives the best amount of engine protection from high temps to lubricating and detergents.

From an economical sense, having the synthetic done once a year instead of 4 visits saves also!

In my Honda you'll find Mobil 1 Full Synthetic 0W-20 that I change once a year when I complete the Safety Inspection / Registration. Easy way to remember!

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
Thank you for your service. My favorite uncle was a radio operator on a destroyer and a light cruiser in the Pacific during WWII.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Hey Everyone,

having served 24 years as a engineer in the Navy, I definately know oils. Ive also operated 10 minute oil change stores and the 3K myth is from this industry as well as dealers to keep the bays full and was made before synthetic oils and blends entered the private market.

Running a full synthetic gives the best amount of engine protection from high temps to lubricating and detergents.

From an economical sense, having the synthetic done once a year instead of 4 visits saves also!

In my Honda you'll find Mobil 1 Full Synthetic 0W-20 that I change once a year when I complete the Safety Inspection / Registration. Easy way to remember!
Interesting you mention that, I noticed some automotive "guru's" suggest not letting oil stay in an engine long than 6 months regardless of what it is.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Well I would bet the Guru's are related to the petro industry somehow needing car counts to make a profit or complete the needed stock turn to make established targets. But look at your new automobiles. Most all are low maintenance high mile engines. Nothing major gets done to the engine. your service checklists are stating to check and replace or adjust if necessary type statements. Almost all the manufacturers are running 100K engines and your luxury brands are running synthetics out the factory for longer life.

Straight from the oil makers themselves, https://mobiloil.com/en/faq/product-faqs save your money and go yearly!
Unbiased consumer watchdogs, https://www.edmunds.com/car-news/tips-advice/stop-changing-your-oil.html
Mercedez Dealership, When To Change The Oil in Your Mercedes-Benz

Currently I use Mobil 1 but Ive been eyeing AMSOIL as another good option.

For those that consider Royal Purple Synthetic oil, make sure you check the level frequently, as I've stated before, in one of the quick lubes I worked at, we used to promote this as the best oil and offer free top offs as we noted alot of vehicles the oil would evaporate. I wouldn't say it burned, because we paid a few cars owners to have the plugs inspected and exhaust sniffed to see if it was blowing by valves, rings and seals. smog checks where good.

In short for most of us daily drivers, any synthetic oil will be the best option because of the additives to out perform conventional oils. How often you change is really up to you. Im a thrifty guy, but I like to protect my investment.

·
Registered
736 Posts
When they Mention - pretty sure they are Referring to Oil in Crank Case as in Stored 0 Certainly Heat Cycling - Killing any Bugs that Eat Oil .. like Diesel is what they mean .
6 Months they are Talking more as Storage .

I will Quality use Blended Oil - Oil Companies place a lot of Additives in Full Syn. ( Anyone have anything on the Nano Oil Molecules . . . ? )

Speaking of Temps - that Stock DP is very Close to the Coolant Fan & Wiring - so close they through small shield on back of electric Motor .

·
Registered
736 Posts
I now have Good Long Hot Road to Mate all the Surfaces & Trip Data , and

Rings are Now Seated - getting a nice Growl from

Motor During Tip In of Throttle . Oil Status is Now at 90% - Checking it looks to have used
2-3 Oz's Since New . 700 miles Just Today Hot 94 Degrees later in Day . .

36 Mpg & 37 Mpg - During all Climbing up into Mts. and High Speed Passing a few which were
90 Plus - Dropped to 34.5 Mpg

This Drive Train is set up to be Road Machine . .

·
Registered
148 Posts
I find that the dealer service centers have just caught up with synthetics, but just barely. I have an older IS250 that I religiously take in every 5k for an oil change (I can do it myself but I like seeing it show up online). I don't put a lot of miles on it and can easily run a year between changes. Last time I used the new 1 year mobil one (they put it in for me) - they still want me to take it back at 6 months! The Accord will probably have the same pattern of usage but will get a few more miles. I'm thinking about using the one year oil on it too every 5k...

·
Registered
736 Posts
I'll be doing a Changing of the Filter soon , an Oil I'm thinking 5W-20W - seeing the smaller the Spread - more it's to be Stable Hold Up longer ..

Maybe We should Log the Miles & Oil Changes & and Consumption - On the Long Haul to Seat & Mess everything in 94 Degrees and many Hills , Tried to Very the RPM
Gears etc. - which wasn't Hard seeing all the Traffic . Traffic & Hot Roads - Under Hood - Temps got Very Hot - I say so Dang Hot I couldn't Hang onto the Oil Drip Stick - Pull .
EWOsser was that Hot .. so took a Pit Stop with Hood Up for 1/2 Hr. , while We all got Cold Drinks - Road Temp 126 Degrees
Heat coming Off all the Motors & Big Truck - Air Temp had to be 110 .. Heavy Traffic on way back ..

·
Registered
736 Posts
As WE All - start Logging Data on Post about these New Engines , I'd just like to say , Thanks for all Your Input ..

I just wanted to Touch upon Oil Filters for a Moment : These Smaller Oil Filters have got Me wondering , How these are Getting all this Extra Long Miles 10K
Still doing the Job , maybe Yes, but I'm thinking there has to be a Drop in Oil Pressure ..

I'll just touch on the Subject Lightly , During all the TV Oil Filter - Add Wars & in all the Car Rag Mags .. There were a few that started to see just what the H was going On .
These are Older Pictures , but still relevant to what's Happening again with New Wave of Smaller Oil Filters that are Suppose to do - Even More Work and Last Twice as Long and
Filter Particles Even Smaller . . .
I always Recommend Getting that First Filter Off the Motor Early 2K-3K-4K depending on Your Driving style and Conditions .. I'll throw Up Picture of the same Oil Filter
Before & After 5K Miles - First Filter Drop . See Filters First Weight , Second Weight - After All Oil Drained for Days - Hence Oil Soaked Box with Paper Towels - Weight Difference 11.52 Oz - Close to - 3/4 Lbs
Tie that on the End of Your Fishing Line - Try Casting that , Haaaa . .

Attachments

·
Registered
242 Posts
As WE All - start Logging Data on Post about these New Engines , I'd just like to say , Thanks for all Your Input ..

I just wanted to Touch upon Oil Filters for a Moment : These Smaller Oil Filters have got Me wondering , How these are Getting all this Extra Long Miles 10K
Still doing the Job , maybe Yes, but I'm thinking there has to be a Drop in Oil Pressure ..

I'll just touch on the Subject Lightly , During all the TV Oil Filter - Add Wars & in all the Car Rag Mags .. There were a few that started to see just what the H was going On .
These are Older Pictures , but still relevant to what's Happening again with New Wave of Smaller Oil Filters that are Suppose to do - Even More Work and Last Twice as Long and
Filter Particles Even Smaller . . .
I always Recommend Getting that First Filter Off the Motor Early 2K-3K-4K depending on Your Driving style and Conditions .. I'll throw Up Picture of the same Oil Filter
Before & After 5K Miles - First Filter Drop . See Filters First Weight , Second Weight - After All Oil Drained for Days - Hence Oil Soaked Box with Paper Towels - Weight Difference 11.52 Oz - Close to - 3/4 Lbs
Tie that on the End of Your Fishing Line - Try Casting that , Haaaa . .
This is why I always encourage owners of new cars to check their oil manually or 1/2 way through the initial oil change interval. Sadly as time goes on car makers will make it harder to do the former.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Tougher - Maybe - Not Impossible Thou

This is why I always encourage owners of new cars to check their oil manually or 1/2 way through the initial oil change interval. Sadly as time goes on car makers will make it harder to do the former.

Speaking of This anyone find the Transmission Level Or is that Going to be one of those Auto Level Threaded in Pcs. Where They Pump Oil in till it
Starts Running Out - which Kinda like saying it's Only there for Idiots !

Maybe Our Trans is 150K No Change ? Don't Know ..

·
Registered
148 Posts
Honda matic's aren't as bulletproof as they make you think with recommended ("lifetime") change- witness the issues with Accord and Pilot tranny from previous years. I have a 7th Gen V6 I got with 80k on the clock. The tranny fluid was reddish brown. Did the drain and fill 3 times and it started shifting a lot smoother. This was the recommendation on the main accord forums as well as the Pilot forums. I will change the tranny fluid at around 30k, depending on what I hear from the forums.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts