2018 Honda Accord Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I was changing the oil on my car today (just turned 10,000 miles) and noticed there was oil in between the plastic head and block...additionally I noticed some silicone by the engine dip stick the when I pressed on it some oil would slightly come out. Anyone had a similar issue ?

I'm taking it to Honda this coming Friday so hope its all good.

Attachments

·
Registered
736 Posts
Can't Tell are the First 3 Pic's side of the Top Motor and Last one right next to where You think - Traced it To . . Not bad on Photo's but starting at 2ft then 1ft and so on till 4 inch on Macro
would be of Help . .

That said , there is a ( PVC - type Oil Screen ) on side & Top of Head ..
Pull Oil Stick with Motor Running ( Idling ) just pull it 3 inches & Listen to see If Pitch of Motor Varies ( Test That First ) . .

I always look for the Simple First , : Read ( Someone Missed the Hole this Weekend with Their Dip Stick ) :wink:
Have You Noticed any Oil Drop on Level of - Dip Stick ?

Clean Off Motor and Recheck after - 200 Miles . .

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I apologize. The first three pictures are in between the air intake (just before the turbo) and the head. It appears heavier on the first three pictures where the oil is at. The picture where the dipstick is at is where I see the silicone material and when I pressed on that I see some oil slightly coming out but gets sucked back in when I let go. The majority of the oil is on the first three pictures.

Its a 1.5L.

I just turned it on and let it idle while pulling out the dipstick...it sounded about the same = /

I appreciate your help.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Hey , Your Good Inspection to Engine to Find that . .Both these are New to Me , but I have been doing some do Diligence . .

That is an Ugly chuck of Silicone - I didn't Think they even use that .. on Most of These Alu. Blocks it's just like a special clear Thin Adhesive - that Tacks up - Thin - Thin
just to fill in Milling Marks ..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes...its the head cover and it does feel rubbery.

I don't want to clean it until Honda checks it out.

·
Registered
148 Posts
If it's leaking, the gasket is failing and the presence of a sealant is somewhat suspicious as they do not usually use that and there may have been a problem beforehand? The head cover may be out of true which prevents it from sealing properly. Ask Honda if they can replace the head cover, it's not expensive.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm hoping they fix it as I purchase the car new...though it was on the lot for almost two months =/

I've never seen a silicon be used to seal these before so its a bit weird.

·
Registered
148 Posts
There are joints that are hard to seal and they can resort to sealants which is why this is suspicious because the gasket alone should be sufficient. They will fix it but they will probably replace the gasket first to see if that takes care of the seepage.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Never should done that on New Engine . . , Weird Color also almost looks like something they may have been using around the Hood Seems or Tower Seems - maybe the Roof - during
Assembly it just fell there ans stuck .. If there is ( Casting - Porosity of Alu. Head ) - which generally look like Small Pocket - there are much better - Far Better Materials to used for Filling & Actually Be Machined . .

Interesting to see what Honda does , Glad You found the Exact Location .

·
Registered
3 Posts
Im not sure if this has been resolved but I experienced the same thing aswel and it looks like the the valve cover gasket. I had the same issue and I noticed it after they did the first oil change. Went to check the levels one day next week and saw oil seeping from between the heads and valve cover. Had my mechanic take a quick peek to confirm. Called the dealer they weren't convinced and wanted to do a preliminary. So I took it to them and three hours later it had a new valve cover gasket

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts