2018 Honda Accord Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 2003 Jetta there is an issue with the oil pan being easy to rupture say by an ice chunk. I'm wondering if my 2018 Accord EX might be vulnerable to the same problem. We often have big ice chunks on the highway in the winter where I live and they often cannot be avoided.

·
Super Moderator
1,925 Posts
There is a skid plate that sits just to the front of the oil pan (that has to be removed to get to oil filter) and it appears the oil pan sits above some framing of the vehicle... see attached video of an oil change to see what I'm describing. Due to it being above the framing, and the skid plate just forward of it then risk should be minimized.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I went and looked and the oil pan pretty weakly protected. I think that aluminum pan could be pierced pretty easily. That will be something to watch.

·
Super Moderator
1,925 Posts
I went and looked and the oil pan pretty weakly protected. I think that aluminum pan could be pierced pretty easily. That will be something to watch.
Must be some big ice chunks in your area. ???

If I had to be concerned about that I think I'd get me a four-wheel drive vehicle or something with higher ground clearance.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Well yeah, we can get some big and very hard ice chunks here in Montana, especially off the semis. We do have a Suburban that I mostly drive if the weather is real bad but we'll want to take the Accord on some road trips too.

You should see the skid plate that I put on the Jetta, it's bullet proof!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is the skid plate I put on the underside of the Jetta. You could ram the car right up on a parking barrier without any worry. It's a good thing because my teenage daughter is driving the car now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts