2018 Honda Accord Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello friends!

I purchased my 2018 Accord 2.0T EX-L in February of 2018. The car is exactly 2 years old and has 30k miles. This not my first Honda but it will certainly be my last. Although the Accord of today is a lifetime better then the Honda’s I owned 20 years ago, I’ve come to realize that my 2018 Accord is not built as well as my older Honda’s.

Before my Accord I was in back to back Audi leases, 3 different cars over the past 10 years. My former Audi S3 was $55,000 - but everyday it was worth its cost. You felt the quality every time you climbed into the car, the electronics worked without issue, the safety features never acted up etc... now I realize that Honda is not Audi, not by a long shot. I’m not talking about engine power or handling performance. Simply put, my Accord is not worth the 33,000 I paid for it. Here is why:

The android tablet interface is garbage. It does a “soft reboot” all on its own at least once a day. The Apple car play connectivity is lackluster too. Podcasts go quite, maps resets on its own. The whole interface is a joke. Honda tells me it’s an Apple software issue, Apple tells me it’s a Honda software issue. Nobody will take ownership.

Since about 10,000 miles I’ve noticed that the HVAC system makes a “gargling/fluid bubbling” noise. Sitting at a red light it’s super annoying to hear it nonstop. According to Honda this is “normal operation conditions”.

On 2 separate occasions my Accord has come to a complete stop ( a la frontal crash prevention) when there was ZERO obstruction in front of my car. One time was in a parking lot with nobody else around and the car decided to “BRAKE!” to a n close jerking stop for no reason. The other time was on the 405 freeway - I almost hit rear ended. The service technicians “looked into it” but I never heard anything more.

THEFT PATROL doesn’t work. It currently says my car is 30 miles away from its true location and that my odometer has 4,530,790 miles. I called in to find out what’s up and was told “it’s a cosmetic issue”. Never got fixed. This $1200 dealer add on is a scam.

Soft brake pedal. I have had to have my brakes bleed the last 2 times I went in for an oil change. They refuse to replace the master brake cylinder. Again “normal operation”.

the car rattles, squeaks like a car 10x it’s age also. I fucking hate this car.

thanks for listening.

·
Registered
969 Posts
On 2 separate occasions my Accord has come to a complete stop ( a la frontal crash prevention) when there was ZERO obstruction in front of my car. One time was in a parking lot with nobody else around and the car decided to “BRAKE!” to a n close jerking stop for no reason. The other time was on the 405 freeway - I almost hit rear ended. The service technicians “looked into it” but I never heard anything more.
My Q7 a decade ago was the first to do this stuff with the auto braking ect. Owned VW/Audis past 20 years, Honda has easily equaled their build quality now. I say this from an engineering standpoint as I have done work to all of these cars. You have also obviously never owned a VW Audi past its 3 year warranty. Then to complain about Honda for these issues and go with a Tesla lol. GL man cheers.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My Q7 a decade ago was the first to do this stuff with the auto braking ect. Owned VW/Audis past 20 years, Honda has easily equaled their build quality now. I say this from an engineering standpoint as I have done work to all of these cars. You have also obviously never owned a VW Audi past its 3 year warranty. Then to complain about Honda for these issues and go with a Tesla lol. GL man cheers.
This Accord was my first purchase in over a decade. So yea, I never owned any VAG cars beyond the lease period. Why would I? I was well aware that those cars lease better then buy for the 50,000k and beyond expenses.
If Audi and Honda are equal in build quality then why the **** is my Accord leagues behind any of my previous Audis? You seriously are going to argue that Quattro is the same as what Honda is offering in their AWD cars? Dude, the Accord has come a long way, I’ll give you that - but the Japanese have never come close to what the Germans are doing. (EDIT: I’m neither Japanese nor German) Look at Porsche PDK for example..

As far as having “good luck” with Tesla, I’m not getting the car for it’s less then perfect body panel gaps, or the occasional adjustment to the window for road noise... I’m interested in having a car that I can plug in at my house - that just so happens to be really, really fast. Faster then my older RS4 that’s for sure, and that ****** was stupid fast!
Thanks for your blessings friend!

·
Registered
969 Posts
This Accord was my first purchase in over a decade. So yea, I never owned any VAG cars beyond the lease period. Why would I? I was well aware that those cars lease better then buy for the 50,000k and beyond expenses.
If Audi and Honda are equal in build quality then why the **** is my Accord leagues behind any of my previous Audis? You seriously are going to argue that Quattro is the same as what Honda is offering in their AWD cars? Dude, the Accord has come a long way, I’ll give you that - but the Japanese have never come close to what the Germans are doing. (EDIT: I’m neither Japanese nor German) Look at Porsche PDK for example..

As far as having “good luck” with Tesla, I’m not getting the car for it’s less then perfect body panel gaps, or the occasional adjustment to the window for road noise... I’m interested in having a car that I can plug in at my house - that just so happens to be really, really fast. Faster then my older RS4 that’s for sure, and that ** was stupid fast!
Thanks for your blessings friend!
Im a self professed German car snob (I have Audi rings tattooed on the top half of my spine!), but are you seriously comparing two vehicles with a base price of almost $15k more than another? Base A4 starts at $39k now, Accord $24k. But if you want to compare it to its Passat cousin, yes absolutely better build quality. Even the plastic body panel fasteners Honda uses are better than VW.
I never said anything about Quattro or anything else of that nature, but seriously the Japanese have never come close? R32/33/34 Skyline and MK4 Supra, NSX i can keep going (BTW Porsche modern PDK are the same as VW DSG, nothing more than, even though they invented the tech in the '80s for racing. VW owns them). Just because you have issues with yours, doesnt mean other have them with their Accord. I have none of those issues you mentioned on my Accord, but have had many of them with my VW/Audis (especially that gurgling ac thing).
Not talking about body panel gaps. Talking about whole roofs coming off Model Y's, rear bumpers falling off in the rain, suspension components completely disconnecting, FIRES and other major known issues. But yes thats the benefit of electric cars is the speed. Have fun man. I hope your dont have same problems with your new vehicle electric cars can be a blast, keep trying to get my dad into a Taycan.

·
Registered
2019 2.0 EXL
549 Posts
I would almost be willing to bite the bullet on an RS, especially an RS6, but super expensive and potentially even more super expensive after owning it for awhile is kind of a dealbreaker/bummer! I'm not a GM fan but those new Caddies (Blackwing) look very tempting too (still pretty expensive though, at least for me).

For a long time, my adrenaline wants have mostly (except for a time when I was in-between motorcycles) been more than satisfied by motorcycles - never really needed/wanted a performance car and never felt any desire to go to amusement parks. But as I get older, not having to fully gear up to go fast is becoming more and more attractive and a co-worker/former student of mine got hit and killed earlier today so who knows how much longer I'll be riding for.

A handful of co-workers have Tesla 3's and all of them have been pretty fortunate in their ownerships, not really much they complain about. I've been in a couple of them and they feel pretty darn smooth (and fast). I'm not anywhere near sold on self-driving but when they remotely retrieve their cars, it's pretty cool. The one thing that's been happening recently which is kinda funny but sucks too is that sometimes the charger they plugged into stops working because someone else down the line plugged their vehicle in, or more annoying, someone else (unknown person) unplugged one of my co-worker's cars and, if they got the notification, they have to walk all the way back to the charging station (which isn't That far but far enough to be annoying) to plug it back in.

The power went out at my house the other night from around 9:45pm and never came back on before I left the next morning around 5:40am (came back on sometime later that day). Super annoying because I was working on relatively important stuff on the computer that I was already behind on. More annoying was that the outage was basically my house and the immediate vicinity - only 47 customers were affected (unknown cause). If I had had a Powerwall or two, I would have been fine! (I guess I should just count myself lucky I'm not in Texas...)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Im a self professed German car snob (I have Audi rings tattooed on the top half of my spine!), but are you seriously comparing two vehicles with a base price of almost $15k more than another? Base A4 starts at $39k now, Accord $24k. But if you want to compare it to its Passat cousin, yes absolutely better build quality. Even the plastic body panel fasteners Honda uses are better than VW.
I never said anything about Quattro or anything else of that nature, but seriously the Japanese have never come close? R32/33/34 Skyline and MK4 Supra, NSX i can keep going (BTW Porsche modern PDK are the same as VW DSG, nothing more than, even though they invented the tech in the '80s for racing. VW owns them). Just because you have issues with yours, doesnt mean other have them with their Accord. I have none of those issues you mentioned on my Accord, but have had many of them with my VW/Audis (especially that gurgling ac thing).
Not talking about body panel gaps. Talking about whole roofs coming off Model Y's, rear bumpers falling off in the rain, suspension components completely disconnecting, FIRES and other major known issues. But yes thats the benefit of electric cars is the speed. Have fun man. I hope your dont have same problems with your new vehicle electric cars can be a blast, keep trying to get my dad into a Taycan.
I at no point expect my Accord to be like my Audi! Someone else made the claim that they were equal build quality.. that is obviously not true. Read the whole post! By the way, the issues with Tesla build quality are present, yes, but so are the same issues with other established brands.. it’s just handled with better PR. Look up Ford’s problems with the Mach e.

·
Registered
'20 Sport 2.0T 6MT, Still Night Pearl. '07 EX-L I4/Nav sold.
106 Posts
Don't forget that build quality isn't just comparing new cars to new cars. Build quality is also comparing 5- and 10- and 15-year-old cars to each other.

I don't think Honda makes the best brand new cars in the business... but a ten-year-old or fifteen-year-old Honda is better than probably anything out there, on average, except perhaps Toyota, to which it's very close. (Lexus, specifically, is better than any of these, but Toyota has made efforts to make its luxury brand the highest quality it can, and it shows.)

·
Registered
969 Posts
I at no point expect my Accord to be like my Audi! Someone else made the claim that they were equal build quality.. that is obviously not true. Read the whole post! By the way, the issues with Tesla build quality are present, yes, but so are the same issues with other established brands.. it’s just handled with better PR. Look up Ford’s problems with the Mach e.
I did and most your issues are with the technology bugs, or how you think the car should be compared to what they say is normal. Those are not build quality, issue and many of my Audis have had the same issues. Its also other factors as PhotoJim stated above your keep overlooking. The base frame, fit and finish, panel gaps, ect are all equal in quality to anything VW group puts out. My Q7 numerous times hit the brakes while trying to pass on the freeway almost getting me into several accidents. Carbon build on on valve issues, they replaced the cylinder head and valves, ticking came back said its normal. Every single one has leaky valve covers, $2500 they wanted for set of brakes that are the same as the Toureg that they charge $700 for, aux/ipod connection never working properly, ect. Every maker has its problems period. Sometimes you get a good one sometimes you get a bad one. If you dont expect your Accord to be like an Audi stop comparing the two to each other. Enjoy your new Tesla!

·
Registered
Lunar Silver 2019 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 10AT
341 Posts
No problems with my 2019 Accord Sport 2.0T. Think you got a lemon. My father has owned quite a few German cars, 95 540i, 2005 545i, 2011 550i, 2016 S6 and now a 2020 A6 Quattro Premium Plus. They were and are well built but all of them had or have issues. Especially the last 3 on the list.
Now he is in his 70’s and gets rid of them as soon as the warranty expires. He can afford to do that. Not to mention the hit you take on a German car for resale value. No thanks.
I will stick with my Honda’s.
My current stable:
2021 Honda Odyssey Touring
2019 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 10 spd
2007 Honda Accord EX-L Navi V6 146,000 miles.
All Trouble free.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Don't forget that build quality isn't just comparing new cars to new cars. Build quality is also comparing 5- and 10- and 15-year-old cars to each other.

I don't think Honda makes the best brand new cars in the business... but a ten-year-old or fifteen-year-old Honda is better than probably anything out there, on average, except perhaps Toyota, to which it's very close. (Lexus, specifically, is better than any of these, but Toyota has made efforts to make its luxury brand the highest quality it can, and it shows.)
You bring up a fantastic point! The long game with Honda is excellent.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I would almost be willing to bite the bullet on an RS, especially an RS6, but super expensive and potentially even more super expensive after owning it for awhile is kind of a dealbreaker/bummer! I'm not a GM fan but those new Caddies (Blackwing) look very tempting too (still pretty expensive though, at least for me).

For a long time, my adrenaline wants have mostly (except for a time when I was in-between motorcycles) been more than satisfied by motorcycles - never really needed/wanted a performance car and never felt any desire to go to amusement parks. But as I get older, not having to fully gear up to go fast is becoming more and more attractive and a co-worker/former student of mine got hit and killed earlier today so who knows how much longer I'll be riding for.

A handful of co-workers have Tesla 3's and all of them have been pretty fortunate in their ownerships, not really much they complain about. I've been in a couple of them and they feel pretty darn smooth (and fast). I'm not anywhere near sold on self-driving but when they remotely retrieve their cars, it's pretty cool. The one thing that's been happening recently which is kinda funny but sucks too is that sometimes the charger they plugged into stops working because someone else down the line plugged their vehicle in, or more annoying, someone else (unknown person) unplugged one of my co-worker's cars and, if they got the notification, they have to walk all the way back to the charging station (which isn't That far but far enough to be annoying) to plug it back in.

The power went out at my house the other night from around 9:45pm and never came back on before I left the next morning around 5:40am (came back on sometime later that day). Super annoying because I was working on relatively important stuff on the computer that I was already behind on. More annoying was that the outage was basically my house and the immediate vicinity - only 47 customers were affected (unknown cause). If I had had a Powerwall or two, I would have been fine! (I guess I should just count myself lucky I'm not in Texas...)
Sorry to hear about your friend. My motorcycle days are behind me as well due to loosing a few friends and coming close myself.
I work as an electrician, I’ve seen the value in Powerwall firsthand (and the fortune that can be made in the service/install side of things). It’s an excellent investment to your house if you’re willing to pull the trigger. It’s not cheap.
Alternatively, in an extreme situation you could use a Tesla Model S, 3, X etc.. to supply emergency power to your house. A fully charged car can supply a home for a long time if used conservatively. Making the Tesla play nice with an ATS or emergency panel is a whole different story.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Sorry to hear about all the problems you had. I had a number of those stereo related issues the first year, but they’ve all seemed to sort out since a software update was installed. It’s randomly rebooted or had issues with CarPlay maybe once in the last year.

I wonder about the collision warning...... did the recall for that issue get sent to you? I just got my notice for it yesterday.

For the theft patrol........ it isn’t really fair to blame honda for a dealer installed aftermarket system.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It’s tough to go from an Audi to a Honda, especially an s series. I shopped around for Audi’s this go round and found a few a4’s in the price range(I wanted stick) but ultimately ended up with an accord because of warranty and maintenance costs. This is my third Honda(fifth if you count the two rodeo’s we had) and my 19 accord sport creaks like a civ. Big improvement over the Civic and fit I had prior but not even close to an audi.

I made a post about my issues with the electronics and all the different rattles the interior makes. If I was paying for this car(I get a car allowance that covers more than the payment) I’d be pissed.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hello friends!

I purchased my 2018 Accord 2.0T EX-L in February of 2018. The car is exactly 2 years old and has 30k miles. This not my first Honda but it will certainly be my last. Although the Accord of today is a lifetime better then the Honda’s I owned 20 years ago, I’ve come to realize that my 2018 Accord is not built as well as my older Honda’s.

Before my Accord I was in back to back Audi leases, 3 different cars over the past 10 years. My former Audi S3 was $55,000 - but everyday it was worth its cost. You felt the quality every time you climbed into the car, the electronics worked without issue, the safety features never acted up etc... now I realize that Honda is not Audi, not by a long shot. I’m not talking about engine power or handling performance. Simply put, my Accord is not worth the 33,000 I paid for it. Here is why:

The android tablet interface is garbage. It does a “soft reboot” all on its own at least once a day. The Apple car play connectivity is lackluster too. Podcasts go quite, maps resets on its own. The whole interface is a joke. Honda tells me it’s an Apple software issue, Apple tells me it’s a Honda software issue. Nobody will take ownership.

Since about 10,000 miles I’ve noticed that the HVAC system makes a “gargling/fluid bubbling” noise. Sitting at a red light it’s super annoying to hear it nonstop. According to Honda this is “normal operation conditions”.

THEFT PATROL doesn’t work. It currently says my car is 30 miles away from its true location and that my odometer has 4,530,790 miles. I called in to find out what’s up and was told “it’s a cosmetic issue”. Never got fixed. This $1200 dealer add on is a scam.

Soft brake pedal. I have had to have my brakes bleed the last 2 times I went in for an oil change. They refuse to replace the master brake cylinder. Again “normal operation”.

the car rattles, squeaks like a car 10x it’s age also. I fucking hate this car.

thanks for listening.
Too bad you never kept the Audi's longer. I have owned a few BMW's and Volkswagens. THEY WERE ALL total pieces of sh.t after 40,000 miles. Oil leaks, faulty cooling systems, premature engine and transmission problems, brakes that totally pollute the wheels and cars sides(beautiful for 100MPH on the autobahn, but this is NOT the autobahn...you can go to jail here driving that fast, premature failure of windshield wiper water pump(get a price on changing this item!!), they all have no maintenance auto transmission fluid(let this go unchanged after 70,000 miles and then start shopping for a new trans!!), etc. etc. & etc. Also research why all the Audi's BMW 3 & 5 series come back from 3 year leases and are dirt cheap to buy...they are starting to fall apart and few people want to spend 3X the normal cost for parts and labor to repair them. Now compare this to the number of people who have Hondas over 250,000 miles on them with NO MAJOR problems.
Scooby maybe stay watching your cartoons and leave the heavy lifting and ratings to people who know.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.