2018 Honda Accord Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those who have this feature (I think only Touring models get it?) where when engaging Reverse the passenger side mirror will tilt down, have you noticed it occasionally doesn't tilt the same way as previous times and eventually it also stops returning to its original position, until you end up having to adjust your side mirror?
I've regularly had to adjust it in such dramatic ways that it was pointing completely the opposite way of where it was and it's getting pretty dangerous at times to lose the proper configuration that helps visibility.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I haven't noticed that problem. But, I have noticed that if the normal position of my mirror is too far outward, then the mirror will constantly click back and forth when tilted down in reverse. It's hard to describe, but it's as if the mirror points too far down, and then tries to get out of that position, then points back down and repeats the process.

I usually have my passenger mirror set to minimize the blind spot view on the right. That is, the mirror is positioned outward so that no part of the body of my car is in view of the mirror which, in turn, minimizes the blind spot. If it's too far outward, then the weird reaction occurs when in reverse. So, I bring the mirror in a little to avoid the back and forth clicking problem.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know what you mean, and I have experienced that. Do you ever still have to adjust once you get that "stuck clicking"?

·
Registered
179 Posts
I know what you mean, and I have experienced that. Do you ever still have to adjust once you get that "stuck clicking"?
No, I do not have to manually readjust it. It always goes back to my original position even if it was doing that weird clicking.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Ok, I've noticed this, but I kind of thought I was going crazy... maybe I'll try adjusting the default setting again and see if it still does it.

·
Super Moderator
830 Posts
I have never experienced my mirror not returning to the "memorized" original position or going to a different position when it tilts. As for the "clicking" sound that is the mirror reaching the max of the position it's trying to go to... the clicking noise you are hearing is the mirror reaching that max position and releasing the gear drive so it doesn't break it.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have never experienced my mirror not returning to the "memorized" original position or going to a different position when it tilts. As for the "clicking" sound that is the mirror reaching the max of the position it's trying to go to... the clicking noise you are hearing is the mirror reaching that max position and releasing the gear drive so it doesn't break it.
I understand why it clicks. The clicking sound is not the issue. It's the fact that it get's into an infinite loop of clicking then un-clicking, click then un-click, click then un-click, etc. until it returns to the normal position.

Re-read my post #2 where I describe the condition under which this happens.

·
Super Moderator
830 Posts
I understand why it clicks. The clicking sound is not the issue. It's the fact that it get's into an infinite loop of clicking then un-clicking, click then un-click, click then un-click, etc. until it returns to the normal position.

Re-read my post #2 where I describe the condition under which this happens.
I wasn't referring to your post (the reason I didn't quote it) I was speaking in general to the OP of the clicking noise and why it occurs. :smile:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, I've noticed this, but I kind of thought I was going crazy... maybe I'll try adjusting the default setting again and see if it still does it.
Glad I am not alone!
It's really irritating, but especially so when the dealer didn't give it more importance. I'll raise a fuss next time if it has the same outcome. It IS reproducible, and it gets worse per startup.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wasn't referring to your post (the reason I didn't quote it) I was speaking in general to the OP of the clicking noise and why it occurs. :smile:
Oh ya for sure I completely understand why it re-clicks due to the way the motor inside works.
I rarely get that issue myself simply because I hadn't adjusted the mirror to an extreme.

·
Registered
179 Posts
OK. Got 'ya! I was the first to bring up the repetitive clicking issue, so I assume it was in reference to what I said.

In any event, I haven't experienced the issue @Vic ; has because my mirror always returns to my original position.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Mine just started doing this the other day! Like one of the above posts, my preferred normal position is more outward, to keep an eye on the blind spot. I’ll try moving it slightly and see I’d it keeps clicking when in reverse. It does return to normal position after shifting out of reverse

·
Registered
1 Posts
Side mirror tilt issue

Had the same issue with my passenger side, would not go back to preset after reverse or sometimes went all the way to the right and started clicking back and forth. Dealer told me they needed to replicate it to replace it. Challenge was it doesn't happen all the time. Got it on video finally, took it to dealer and they are replacing the mirror no questions asked.

Best way to fix it.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yup, I didn't update this but I got them to replace it. Turns out the part was on back order the first time they tried to get it, supposedly this is not uncommon!
It was finally replaced and fixed.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have a 2019 accord touring 2.0 turbo. I don't think my car has this feature. Its not listed on the window sticker.
CORRECTION: I do have it. I just had the door switch in the wrong position. The passenger side works as intended. Nothing on the driver's side...as it is designed, I think. Admin, I can't find a way to delete or edit my 1st post, so I quoted it here.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts