2018 Honda Accord Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking into purchasing some performance upgrades, but before I start purchasing, I am doing my research.

What performance mods will I need to do before flashing my ECU to 'Stage 1' or 'Stage 2'?

I am sure flashing my car right into a 'Stage 3' 'Stage 4' without the corresponding performance mods would be very bad for the vehicle.

I tried calling Hondata, but everyone is out of the office.

·
Administrator
2,838 Posts
If I'm not mistaken a Stage 1/2 flash does not "require" any other mods. However I have started putting together a "wish list" for future motor upgrades and these certainly would increase the performance of a stage 1/2 flash....

PRL High Volume Intake System

PRL Street Downpipe & Front Pipe Combo Upgrade

PRL Intercooler Upgrade

PRL Plug 'N Play Flex Fuel Kit

PTP Turbo Blanket

And if you really want to go full race (Type R) mode - Honda Civic Type R Turbo

If you aren't familiar w/some of these parts take a look into our How To And DIYs board in the threads posted by @tommypenguin.

If you were to add some/all these mods I would definitely suggest getting the car professionally tuned as the flashes provided by Hondata/KT will be for a stock (other than the tuner) car.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks so much!
Is there a point in purchasing the Hondata / KT if I was to get the car professionally tuned after those mod were completed?
Is there a thread that compares the Type R turbo to the stock Accord 18+ 2.0T?
Lots of questions, I know, but I am a research guy.

·
Registered
2018 Accord Sport 1.5
11 Posts
If I'm not mistaken a Stage 1/2 flash does not "require" any other mods. However I have started putting together a "wish list" for future motor upgrades and these certainly would increase the performance of a stage 1/2 flash....

PRL Intercooler Upgrade

PTP Turbo Blanket

If you aren't familiar w/some of these parts take a look into our How To And DIYs board in the threads posted by @tommypenguin.

If you were to add some/all these mods I would definitely suggest getting the car professionally tuned as the flashes provided by Hondata/KT will be for a stock (other than the tuner) car.
Can you put a type-R turbo in a Accord 1.5 sport with engine mods?

·
Administrator
2,838 Posts
Thanks so much!
Is there a point in purchasing the Hondata / KT if I was to get the car professionally tuned after those mod were completed?
Is there a thread that compares the Type R turbo to the stock Accord 18+ 2.0T?
Lots of questions, I know, but I am a research guy.
If you're looking for "optimum" performance you should have the car professionally tuned even if you don't add any of the mods I listed above. I canned "flash" is good but it's not the "best"... each motor (car) even though identical in size (1.5 or 2.0) will not be identical when it comes to tuning.

@tommypenguin did the turbo upgrade in his car and you can find that thread in the DIY board previously mentioned. Don't remember if he provided in comparison data/comments but that would be a good place to start for information.

·
Administrator
2,838 Posts
Can you put a type-R turbo in a Accord 1.5 sport with engine mods?
I would think not... the Civic Type R is a 2.0T as what is in the 2.0T Accord only difference the Accord 2.0T is "detuned' compared to the Civic Type R.

·
Administrator
2,838 Posts
Which of the upgrades would you do first, second, third, ect?
Was thinking Intake, Intercooler, Hondata or KT in that order?
If I were to do it I would purchase the parts and have them all installed at once then tune it one time. Reason for me doing it this way is I wouldn't be doing the install, having all the parts installed at one time while the car is torn apart would/should save in labor (at least in my mind it should 😁), and doing it all at once should reduce the risk of damage to body (or other) parts that have to be removed.

·
Registered
2019 2.0 EXL
521 Posts
To piggyback onto what FD said - the intercooler requires removal of the front bumper cover. If/when I had/have to remove my cover again, I might consider installing things like:

homemade intercooler and radiator protection (mesh screen)
front lower splitter/spoiler (I actually bought one but decided not to install but might change my mind again lol)
driving lights
loud speaker
etc
stuff easier to do with the cover off...

·
Registered
71 Posts
I currently have prl high volume intake and borla exhaust. I did hondata stage 2 but cant notice a difference, any help or suggestions welcomed. Also mpg is still around 20avg and I thought the tune would get it back close to factory after my mods. Ive done full tank tests without going into sport mode and driving normally. Also why on the flashpro settings are there only like 7 settings unlike with civics and older cars there are several to the point you pick your mods closest to your car. I only see stage 1 and 2 plus stock. Stage 1 and 2 each have a carb and regular setting.

·
Registered
26 Posts
To piggyback onto what FD said - the intercooler requires removal of the front bumper cover. If/when I had/have to remove my cover again, I might consider installing things like:

homemade intercooler and radiator protection (mesh screen)
front lower splitter/spoiler (I actually bought one but decided not to install but might change my mind again lol)
driving lights
loud speaker
etc
stuff easier to do with the cover off...
Loud Speaker? That'd get you shot around here. "Hey fool! Pick a lane!" Duck and cover

·
Registered
1 Posts

PRL Intercooler Upgrade

PTP Turbo Blanket

Can you do a stage 2 Ktuner tune on stock internals I have a 1.5t cvt. Should I get a clutch installed?

·
Administrator
2,838 Posts
Can you do a stage 2 Ktuner tune on stock internals I have a 1.5t cvt. Should I get a clutch installed?
I would suggest contacting KTuner direct to get an answer as I don't have a KTuner installed on my car, have the 1.5 liter engine, nor is my car a manual transmission.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.