2018 Honda Accord Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts
I'm convinced that your rear was repaired and painted before you bought it. Other 10th Gen Accord owners have not had this issue with that color, and I haven't seen nor heard of this on any other Honda model.

Was a Carfax run on this car to see if any repair was done to it? If not, then it may be worth getting a report.

BTW, I assume that you have the Touring trim since the badges are gone, but the car has rear backup sensors and chrome exhaust tips.

Reactions: Xful
Discussion starter · #22 ·
Since you're not the original owner the next time this discoloring comes back you may want to seek professional (paint/auto body repair) help. With it keep coming back it may be the result of a repair/paint job that either wasn't done right or wasn't taken care of after the repair (not letting the paint cure/etc.) that is causing this issue.
This can happen from a botched repaint? I would have thought that then it would not be able to be removed with a clay bar, i figured it would be fused with or under the clear coat. I dont know anything about spraying cars though. I do know though, that when i bought the car there was absolutely nothing protecting the clear coat, but other than that I dont know the history.

Thanks a lot, i wouldnt have thought this could happen from a respray but im going to check that out too now.

Discussion starter · #23 ·
I'm convinced that your rear was repaired and painted before you bought it. Other 10th Gen Accord owners have not had this issue with that color, and I haven't seen nor heard of this on any other Honda model.

Was a Carfax run on this car to see if any repair was done to it? If not, then it may be worth getting a report.

BTW, I assume that you have the Touring trim since the badges are gone, but the car has rear backup sensors and chrome exhaust tips.
Do you know what can cause this from a repaint? I just figured if it was from that, it would be a part of the clear coat and not be able to be removed with a clay bar. Also no car fax, but i will probably get one here soon.

And yeah its a touring, i debadged because it was disgusting in and around the badges from all this yellow stuff, but they looked to be factory and all in normal symmetry.

I appreciate the help!

I have never heard of rail dust. But, after watching the suggested YouTube videos, it seems that rail dust may be causing @Xful's problem.

It also seems that rail dust is more obvious on white cars.

Looks like rail dust to me. Search YouTube on it. The most common area rail dust is prone to is the back and side of the car
I have never heard of rail dust. But, after watching the suggested YouTube videos, it seems that rail dust may be causing @Xful's problem.

It also seems that rail dust is more obvious on white cars.
Interesting... had never heard of it. Makes sense though as I stated I've noticed dust accumulate on the rear of my car (which validates what was mentioned in a video I watched about this) in the same area as the OP. Also I don't think the OEM brake pads on our car are the best available. It has been posted in other threads that they don't last long which would lead me to believe they are breaking down (IE: creating more dust) rapidly.

Interesting... had never heard of it. Makes sense though as I stated I've noticed dust accumulate on the rear of my car (which validates what was mentioned in a video I watched about this) in the same area as the OP. Also I don't think the OEM brake pads on our car are the best available. It has been posted in other threads that they don't last long which would lead me to believe they are breaking down (IE: creating more dust) rapidly.
Same never heard of it until the shop I got my ceramic coat at was telling me these things to do keep the look as pristine as possible. I probably do a spray down once or twice a year using this stuff called Optimum FerreX. It is more prone to white colored cars but it’s a good thing to do on all colors.

Optimum (21977) FerreX - 17 oz. Amazon.com: Optimum (21977) FerreX - 17 oz.: Automotive

Same never heard of it until the shop I got my ceramic coat at was telling me these things to do keep the look as pristine as possible. I probably do a spray down once or twice a year using this stuff called Optimum FerreX. It is more prone to white colored cars but it’s a good thing to do on all colors.

Optimum (21977) FerreX - 17 oz. Amazon.com: Optimum (21977) FerreX - 17 oz.: Automotive
It’s also a good wheel cleaner too :)
Thanks for the link and advice. (y)

21 - 33 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.