2018 Honda Accord Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So was curious, since my accord is the first turbocharged car I’ve owned. Is it better to use a higher octane fuel? Or does it really not matter?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Better in what sense?

The ECU will allow more spark advance and maybe a little more boost with premium gas. That will translate to more power. Not huge amounts, but some.
As long as you're using a top-tier brand of gas the additive package will be the same between regular and premium, so both will help keep your valves cleaner.

·
Administrator
2,559 Posts
In my research of aftermarket tuners (Hondata & KTuner) as you go from a stock tune to the advanced stage(s) tune they are using/suggesting premium fuel. It is my opinion if a person is running the stock tune and using a top tier fuel they can stay within the factory recommended grade fuel... minimum 87 octane (see attachment).

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
I follow what the owners manual says, i see no reason to spend the extra $ on fill ups to the possibility of a few horsepower. Now keep in mind that most tuners like FlashPro and KTuner will say that if you do any of their stage X tunes you'll need to run premium.

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
If the car is completely stock there is no benefit to higher octane compared to a top tier regular. If you are not using top tier fuel then it might be beneficial to go to mid-grade. That probably costs as much or even more than top tier regular. I'd personally choose top tier regular for a stock tune.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Per the Owner's Manual, you can use 87 octane or higher. However, didn't Myth Busters prove that there was no significant difference when using premium gas on a stock engine designed for regular gas? Somehow, that sticks in my mind.

Personally, I'm sticking to regular gas (87 octane) because I'm happy with the engine performance (and health), and my gas bill is cheaper.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I noticed a great difference in using premium on all my previous cars, also depending on gasoline brand the fuel burns slower and the vehicle responds better to higher octane.

Just my 2 cents ..

·
Registered
99 Posts
I started using premium, 93 octane, in my 2018 Accord Touring by accident this past winter. It was a blistering 19 degrees outside and the wind was blowing furiously. My previous 4 cars, V6 Altima, Maxima, 328i and X1 all required premium fuel. Due to the brutally cold weather, and not wanting to be out in it, by habit, I put premium, 93 octane in my Accord. I have noticed a few miles more per gallon and my Accord seems to run smoother with greater pick up from a stand still. Could be in my mind, but for certain, Ive seen a few more miles per gallon. Seeing the past 4 automobiles I've owned required premium fuel, I am use to paying the extra, and its not going to break my bank account, so I've continued using 93 octane. Now that we are having a major heat wave here in the south, I'm seeing much better idle speed, and still greater pick up.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I personally add high octane (91) for the reason that i have a lot of bolt ons on my car so it benefits me actually

·
Registered
82 Posts
Better in what sense?

The ECU will allow more spark advance and maybe a little more boost with premium gas. That will translate to more power. Not huge amounts, but some.
As long as you're using a top-tier brand of gas the additive package will be the same between regular and premium, so both will help keep your valves cleaner.
Regrettably that's no longer true with Gasoline Direct Injection (GDI) which along with the turbo is how you get 192 horses out of a 1.5 liter engine. The gasoline is spritzed directly into the cylinder, the valves only let air in and out.

With traditional fuel injection the fuel is mixed with air in the side intake valve port (one for each cylinder) or the throttle body (one injection for all four cylinders). In these systems the fuel mixed with air does have to pass over the valves and so, the additives clean the valves.

With GDI which is what this forum's Accords have, the fuel goes directly into the cylinder and never passes over the valves. This is something of a maintenance issue. Every 15 or 30k, depending on who you talk to, you need to have the valves cleaned.

Greg N

https://www.counterman.com/gasoline-direct-injection-vs-port-fuel-injection/

·
Registered
82 Posts
If anyone is interested, KTuner dynoed a base 2.0T Accord in various states (87, 93, Stage 1 tune, Stage 2 tune, against the Type R). There is a modest bump in power in using 93, but does it make much of a real word difference? probably not.

Accord 2.0T Extended Testing ? KTuner, LLC
Makes a huge difference to the pocket book, 50c a gallon is non trivial. GN

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
If anyone is interested, KTuner dynoed a base 2.0T Accord in various states (87, 93, Stage 1 tune, Stage 2 tune, against the Type R). There is a modest bump in power in using 93, but does it make much of a real word difference? probably not.

Accord 2.0T Extended Testing ? KTuner, LLC
Very interesting. It would have been nice if all their labeling also included blue = and green = to identify which is which. Maybe they visit here and will note that for the future.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts