2018 Honda Accord Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what the markings on the Power/Charge Gauge mean? Obviously the yellow "Charge" side of the meter shows that you are recharging the high voltage battery. However on the "Power" side dial, there is a solid blue line then white ticks, followed by a solid white line at the end of the dial. I'm wondering what the difference in those markings means. I've looked in the manuals and on the internet and can find nothing about this. I know that it denotes the various levels of electric motor assist. But is it showing the RATE (or amount?) of power being used/applied by the electric motor or what? And what do the markings mean? Any thoughts on this appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
I believe the higher up and around the scale the lower the mpg, to cut to the chase. I don't know how it's calibrated or anything but it's showing how heavy the power draw so it's also showing how heavy the fuel usage and inversely the mpg. I use the "range & fuel" gauge which is 3 down from that one. It has that gauge plus some other info. I keep mine probably about 90% between the resting tick at 9 o'clock and the first small tick up from that, maybe 9.9% between the first small tick and first large tick and 0.1% or less above the first large tick.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Does anyone know what the markings on the Power/Charge Gauge mean? Obviously the yellow "Charge" side of the meter shows that you are recharging the high voltage battery. However on the "Power" side dial, there is a solid blue line then white ticks, followed by a solid white line at the end of the dial. I'm wondering what the difference in those markings means. I've looked in the manuals and on the internet and can find nothing about this. I know that it denotes the various levels of electric motor assist. But is it showing the RATE (or amount?) of power being used/applied by the electric motor or what? And what do the markings mean? Any thoughts on this appreciated. Thanks!
In normal operation, the first white tube in the blue van if you don’t go over that the car will get it tomorrow’s electric range before requesting recharge unless you lose your foot on the break.

The entire blue band, is for when you press the TV button with enough battery power as long as you keep your “rpm” (the car doesn’t have them)- it will allow you to stay in EV mode without kicking you out unless the battery goes below three notches and regular or Econ mode, Or halfway in sport mode. And the reason why halfway in sport mode is the vehicle knows that you will need more power on top as needed so it will make sure that the powers there when you need it oOr halfway in sport mode. And the reason why halfway in sport mode is the vehicle knows that you will need more power on top as needed so it will make sure that the powers there when you need it

·
Registered
10 Posts
The bottom line is when you want to use the EV button, make sure you do not accelerate beyond the blue band – that is your marker before the gas engine activates to assist you with your acceleration goals. And that goes at any speed, and any drive mode.

EV mode is best used and will give you an increase in efficiency when using it at stop signs and red lights- as the electric engine is powering the car up to cruising speeds (as long as you stay in the solid blue. This dramatically increases City MPGs.

Former Honda Service Advisor turned Science ??‍? Teacher here. Have a good day all.

·
Registered
45 Posts
While I like a lot of what Blaydeh said, it was a bit garbled by Siri. So I thought I'd summarize a few points, and add some of my own.
  • The Power/Charge Gauge measures the flow of power to and from the wheels. Electricity generated from the ICE's power and used to charge the battery is not included.
    • This seems to confuse some people since the gauge will move further when the paddles are being used. The difference represents turning off the regen brakes, not an increase in acceleration.
  • It's a small battery, so the power it can draw/accept is limited. The solid blue band (or two of the white "tic" marks) represent all it can provide at best. The solid green band (The OP called it yellow) represents the most it can receive while charging.
    • So going to the end of the green band means friction brakes are starting to be used.
  • I'm going to distinguish between EV drive, where the car is running on battery only (and the green-on-black letters "EV" appear in the display), and EV mode, where the driver presses the button to ask for the car to use EV drive (and the black-on green letters appear in the outline of a car).
    • In my experience, EV drive seems to end about 3/4 of the way from the first white tic mark to the second, kicking you out of EV mode. I suppose this make the transition smoother, since there is some battery power left to equalize the power division.
  • While it is tempting to use EV mode, you do not gain any efficiency by doing so. And may in fact lose some.
    • You aren't running gas-free in EV drive. You are using energy from gas you burned earlier when it was more efficient to do so.
    • The car manages EV drive so that you usually stay is a fairly narrow band of charge levels that varies with ECON, NORNAL, and SPORT modes. Pushing the EV button affects its ability to do so.
    • The only time you should use EV button, is if there is a danger of reaching 100% charge. This can happen if there is a long downhill stretch, or when you first start the car on a cold day.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts