2018 Honda Accord Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a new 2019 Accord EX-L 2.0T. Traded in a very trouble prone 2015 Mercedes Benz C300, and glad to have gotten rid of it. The new Accord is really solid and reasonably easy to figure out. One feature confuses me though.

The high beam assist on this car, from what I've read, must be on Auto and low beams to function. Every other car I've driven with this feature must be in Auto and high beams to work. I have tried it on Auto/low and can't see it work at all. I have held the stalk back for 30 seconds until I see a single blink of the icon on the display, so it should be on. Holding it back 40 seconds for a double blink is supposed to turn it off, but I have not done that.

I'm sure it will work fine, but haven’t quite figured out if it is doing its thing yet.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
44 Posts
I've seen many say they turned it off as they didn't like it. I've found it to work fairly well when it says "Auto" at the top of the instrument cluster it should turn the lights to high when there are no cars in either lane (coming or going) for a ways in front of you and when you get close enough to a car going the same way or when a car approaches you the lights will automatically dim. The time it doesn't work great is when you are approaching an intersection that has limited viability (driving up my neighborhood) and it has the highs on, it often won't switch to lows so it would be a bother to those going by.

·
Super Moderator
1,925 Posts
I just picked up a new 2019 Accord EX-L 2.0T. Traded in a very trouble prone 2015 Mercedes Benz C300, and glad to have gotten rid of it. The new Accord is really solid and reasonably easy to figure out. One feature confuses me though.

The high beam assist on this car, from what I've read, must be on Auto and low beams to function. Every other car I've driven with this feature must be in Auto and high beams to work. I have tried it on Auto/low and can't see it work at all. I have held the stalk back for 30 seconds until I see a single blink of the icon on the display, so it should be on. Holding it back 40 seconds for a double blink is supposed to turn it off, but I have not done that.

I'm sure it will work fine, but haven’t quite figured out if it is doing its thing yet.

Any suggestions?
Sounds like you are activating it correctly (see instructions attached)… only thing I can think of one of the reasons listed below are keeping them from activating...

The high beams remain on unless:
• You have been driving below 15 mph (24 km/h) for an extended amount of time.
• The speed of the vehicle drops below 6 mph (10 km/h).
• The windshield wipers have been running at a high speed for more than a few seconds.
• You enter a well lit location.

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. Pretty sure I have it set up correctly, so I'll keep trying it in different locations and see if it will work. I have used it in a Subaru Outback and really didn’t like it at all. I just want to see if Honda has a more usable version of this function.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks for the replies. Pretty sure I have it set up correctly, so I'll keep trying it in different locations and see if it will work. I have used it in a Subaru Outback and really didn’t like it at all. I just want to see if Honda has a more usable version of this function.
Give it a shot. You can always turn it off if you don't like it.

I didn't like it, so it's off on my car.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I've seen many say they turned it off as they didn't like it. I've found it to work fairly well when it says "Auto" at the top of the instrument cluster it should turn the lights to high when there are no cars in either lane (coming or going) for a ways in front of you and when you get close enough to a car going the same way or when a car approaches you the lights will automatically dim. The time it doesn't work great is when you are approaching an intersection that has limited viability (driving up my neighborhood) and it has the highs on, it often won't switch to lows so it would be a bother to those going by.
I live in a rural area, so actually use the high beams frequently. The operation mine seems perfect. Exactly what I would do if I were really on top of the issue. It will dim at a fairly long range and dim for taillights as well. Responds very fast as in around curves and over hills.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
you've probably adjusted this already, but mine didn't work until I went into Settings and adjusted the sensitivity to maximum.
Where is this adjustment? I couldn’t find it in the Settings/Vehicle section of the menu. Is it accessed through the steering wheel menus?

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
1,925 Posts
Where is this adjustment? I couldn’t find it in the Settings/Vehicle section of the menu. Is it accessed through the steering wheel menus?

Thanks.
When @hondafan1990 posted that I had to go look for the setting he was mentioning and the only thing I could find was a setting to adjust the light sensitivity for when the headlights would come on in the auto mode... not sure if this has anything to do w/the auto high beam.

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When @hondafan1990 posted that I had to go look for the setting he was mentioning and the only thing I could find was a setting to adjust the light sensitivity for when the headlights would come on in the auto mode... not sure if this has anything to do w/the auto high beam.
I saw that, but it doesn’t adjust the auto high beam, just when your headlights turn on when set to Auto.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I saw that, but it doesn’t adjust the auto high beam, just when your headlights turn on when set to Auto.
Sorry guys, didn't mean to steer anybody wrong, but my high beams weren't really adjusting to oncoming cars until i adjusted that setting....weird huh?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, here's the update. I tried enabling the system a few times. This involves holding the light stalk back for 30 seconds until the A icon flashes once. I did this on three different occasions with no luck. Yesterday the A icon came on with the headlights and the system has worked flawlessly since, even over the same roads as I drove before with no results. It was apparently turned off and finally, after three attempts, is now back on. Very weird.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts