2018 Honda Accord Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered the OEM sport grille and black chrome insert from my dealer and installed it myself with the help of some useful threads with pictures on this board (thank you!). The next day when looking at it in the sunlight I noticed that the only the top part of the grille was black - the sides that go above the headlights were painted Modern Steel Metallic. It was my understanding that the whole grille would be piano black and that there was no other option. My car is Crystal Black Pearl and you can really see the metallic in the sunlight.

So I removed the sport grille (without using a lift and ended up scratching my 2 week old car) and told the dealer of the issue. BTW I have become a master at removing the front bumper. No prob they said, we will order you another one, no charge - and we will check the color when it gets in. Well, it came in today and it is the exact same (black on top with MSM on the sides)

Is everyone else's like this? In all the pictures, they look completely black. My dealer is in contact with Honda to check other lots for the grille color, I'm hoping it was just a mixed up lot and they find me an all black one. My only other options are to accept the MSM grille and have it painted Piano Black or Black Pearl or keep the chrome ass uni-brow. Uggh I am tired of taking off my bumper and putting it back on without a lift

TIA!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the OEM Black Chrome Grille on mine...

Is yours different than that?
Yup that's the one! I ordered it from my dealer but the bottom part that holds the 'H' and extends up over the headlights looks to be Modern Steel Mettalic. Are they supposed to come that way? It does not look right on my black pearl car in the sunlight

·
Administrator
2,613 Posts
Yup that's the one! I ordered it from my dealer but the bottom part that holds the 'H' and extends up over the headlights looks to be Modern Steel Mettalic. Are they supposed to come that way? It does not look right on my black pearl car in the sunlight
I don't notice a significant difference on mine. The difference you may be noticing is the good is metal and that piece (if I remember correctly) is plastic. I've heard that there can be a slight difference in the appearance of metal and plastic parts painted the same color.

·
Administrator
2,613 Posts
Just took a better look in the sunlight and can see what you are describing as the grey tint/color. Unfortunately (for you) I believe that is going to be by design and not a bad lot... Honda describes the part as "Black Chrome Sport Grille" not "Crystal Black Pearl" Sport Grille. It is my thought that the color/tint you (and I) are seeing is because it is what they are calling/describing as "Black Chrome". Your option as you described in your first post is to have it painted color matched Crystal Black. Like you I didn't like the look of the standard chrome grille... nothing against those that have kept it or like it but IMO it reminded me of a unibrow.

BTW I also have the Black Chrome Rear Trim and I can see the grey tint/color in it... however neither of them not being Crystal Black are of concern to me.... with that said if it bothers you and you are like me about something not being to your liking every time you walk by the car you're going to notice it and it'll bother you. :(

·
Registered
65 Posts
There are two pieces to the grille. You have the insert and the actual grille that replaces the stock chrome one. The black grille and black chrome grill are true black. The black chrome insert almost looks bronze at certain angles and the black grille has what appears to be metal flakes. It by no means looks like Modern Steel Metallic. My car is Modern Steel Metallic, so I should know.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There are two pieces to the grille. You have the insert and the actual grille that replaces the stock chrome one. The black grille and black chrome grill are true black. The black chrome insert almost looks bronze at certain angles and the black grille has what appears to be metal flakes. It by no means looks like Modern Steel Metallic. My car is Modern Steel Metallic, so I should know.
Yeah, the actual grille part (not the insert) is modern steel metallic ?

·
Registered
21 Posts
It's a little confusing, but here's what I learned. The Accord comes from the factory with either a chrome grille or a black chrome grille. The Sport Grille is black, which is different than black chrome. The Sport Grille insert, which is required when using the Sport Grille, comes in chrome, black chrome, or bronze.

·
Registered
21 Posts
It's a little confusing, but here's what I learned. The Accord comes from the factory with either a chrome grille or a black chrome grille. The Sport Grille is black, which is different than black chrome. The Sport Grille insert, which is required when using the Sport Grille, comes in chrome, black chrome, or bronze.
This is correct. And the black of the sport grille BASE is not the same as the piano black on the rest of the front grille. It does appear to be slightly lighter in shade and have a little metallic to it. This is what the above posters mentioned.

The black chrome accent is exactly like regular chrome with 20% darker tint to it

1 - 9 of 9 Posts