2018 Honda Accord Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2022 2.0T Sport
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a '22 Accord Sport 2.0T, and on the test drive I noticed how terrible the stereo was. I almost didn't buy the car for this reason, but the rest of the car was so nice for the money, and the grunt this little 2.0T puts out was very impressive, so I bought it anyway. I have the 180w system I believe, with 8 speakers, including the rear sub. No amount of EQ adjustment can make this sound much better than AM radio. So bad... you really can't enjoy music in this car the way it is.

I pine for my e90 335i with a base stereo. It only had front door woofers, tweeters near the side mirrors, and two speakers on the rear deck, for a total of 6. This stereo absolutely cranked for what it was. If I could get my Accord to sound like this, I'd be happy.

Many people say a front centre speaker ruins the soundstage, and reduces the stereo effect of the music. However I understand our cars get navigation instructions from just the front centre speaker, so there's no disconnecting it unless you want to lose that feature.

I don't play my stereo loud, volume level never above 20. At lower volumes there is zero bass, and the mids sound pretty hollow too. Above 20 volume it's just harsh, and remains hollow.

To remedy this, I was thinking of starting with a 10" sealed or ported box, and I would like to lose as little trunk space as possible. Perhaps a box that fits on the passenger side of the trunk near the back, firing in the open area of the trunk. My questions are:

Should I go ported or sealed box?
When I splice into the front door speaker wiring and connect my LC2i, will the front speakers be getting only half the power they used to get? I would think the LC2i uses some of the wattage intended for the speaker. How do you remedy this?
Once I have my sub up and running, should I disconnect or remove the stock subwoofer in the rear deck?
Any other suggestions you pros may have to get this stereo to sound better while replacing as little as possible, and losing minimal trunk space?

Thanks!

·
Registered
48 Posts
If you have the 8 speaker system, you do not have a center speaker or a rear sub. Just 4 woofers and 4 tweeters, two sets up front and two sets on the rear deck. I have a 2018 Touring with the 10 speaker set up and I promise, you are missing absolutely nothing by not having the center speaker and rear sub - both are junk. I just replaced all 9 speakers and outright removed the stock sub, replacing it with a 10 inch powered Rockford Fosgate Punch sub, definitely worth it.

Since you have the 8 speaker system, there are some pretty nice options out there for you including an under seat subwoofer from Alpine that also acts as an amp to your other 8 speakers. I would definitely advise checking it out, seems like a pretty intuitive system.

Under seat sub

Component speakers I bought for my front doors and will work for the rear deck as well

·
Registered
2022 2.0T Sport
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you have the 8 speaker system, you do not have a center speaker or a rear sub. Just 4 woofers and 4 tweeters, two sets up front and two sets on the rear deck. I have a 2018 Touring with the 10 speaker set up and I promise, you are missing absolutely nothing by not having the center speaker and rear sub - both are junk.
I just checked my car out carefully, and I have a woofer and a tweeter in each front door, a centre speaker in the dash, no rear door speakers, 2 woofers in the rear deck and a subwoofer, total 8 speakers. Perhaps Canadian Sport models have a different speaker set up than US cars? Here's a pic of my rear deck.

Hood Light Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

After some research, I'm thinking of this sealed box mounted to the back of my rear seat, firing towards the front of the car, and this amp to power it, as it has a built in DSP and would restore the bass roll-off built in to the factory head unit. I would take speaker signal from the front left and right doors.

But I'm still not sure if my front doors will then receive only 1/2 the signal they normally receive, as I'd be splicing into them??

·
Registered
48 Posts
Oh shoot, you have the Canadian Sport which I believe has the same system the EX-L and Touring does here in the states which means you actually have the 10 speaker system. There should be two tweeters on the rear deck as well. Look inside towards the rear corners.
You can do exactly what I did with my sub and use the stock sub as the signal/data wire for an aftermarket sub with absolutely zero issues and nothing extra.
Check out the video here to get an idea of it

·
Registered
64 Posts
You could put the sub in the passenger footwell. There's tons of room there. Our cars are extreamly isolated in the trunk and you need tons of power or a ported box to get any benefit from a sub in the trunk. I run 4k in my trunk and I'm barely satisfied. But they are sealed subs. I like my bass full spectrum and don't mind sacrificing output to gain lower extention. Here's a pic of my front sub. And the post of my build when you realize that you need more than that 300 watt audiocontrol amp is giving you.

Car Vehicle Gear shift Motor vehicle Light

Vehicle Car Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Registered
64 Posts
ItsonlyAHonda, damn that looks like a ton of time, work, research, and money. Looks fantastic and I'm sure it sounds awesome, but your car is an example of how unending this rabbit hole is.
Lol it was months of research, and an extream amount of money. But it's the most amazing sounding systems I've ever heard. There's only 1 place that I've been to than can compare and that was the marquee club in the cosmopolitan in Vegas. I've been to most clubs in LA and Vegas and the majority of them fall flat compared to my car. And I don't think I'm done yet so the the rabbit hole is deep. I tried the whole replace factory speakers, and add a sub/amp thing and it left me unsatisfied. So I went back to the drawing board and no one that has this car has done what I wanted so I had to shoot from the hip and hope for the best. Between the first install, the stuff I bought that I didn't use cuz I scratched those plans because I should have done more research before buying stuff, and my current install I've spent well worth the value of my car. That's the reason I'm here on this site. To try n guide ppl with this car in the right direction when it comes to their audio. I love this car but the audio sucked really bad.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts