2018 Honda Accord Forum banner

Radar Detector & Dashcam - 2018 1.5t

4K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  mathewbotros 
#1 ·
So I want to be able to run a dash cam and a radar detector in my car. does anyone have both of them on their car ? if so how did you connect power to them? I want to be able to use then without having to run two cables dangling from my windshield. I know I can run the cables under the liners and all but I was wondering if anyone found a way to power them without running them all the way to either cigarette lighter

#4 ·
You should be able to no problem, I’m running both. You can hardwire your Dashcam to the drivers side kick panel where the fusebox is, some companies sell hardwire kits for their camera or you can make your own.

As for the radar detector you can also run a hardware kit to the fuse box. I personally didn’t want to run two separate cables to the fusebox so I instead purchased the MirrorTap kit alongside a BlendMount for a nice clean install. This allows the radar detector to be powered by your auto dimming rearview mirror. Since my Accord doesn’t have a auto dimming (I believe only the touring model has that) I tapped into the power connector of the CMBS camera just above the mirror. Works flawlessly and looks super clean.

BlendMount and MirrorTap combo can be pricey but I’m my option it’s def worth it. I also use a sunshade when it’s crazy hot here in SoCal and since my radar detector now sits nicely tucked below my mirror the sunshade clears the detector no problem.

Heres how it looks, I have a Uniden R7 Radar Detector and Thinkware U1000 Dashcam

Hooking up power using MirrorTap for Radar Detector.
Vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design Automotive mirror

U1000 Dashcam sits to the top left of my rearview mirror, doesn’t obstruct my view. Radar Detector mounted using BlendMount for a nice seamless look. Notice sunshade clears no problem too!
Automotive mirror Automotive lighting Automotive design Vehicle Personal luxury car

#10 ·
I am also hardwiring both me dash cam and
You should be able to no problem, I’m running both. You can hardwire your Dashcam to the drivers side kick panel where the fusebox is, some companies sell hardwire kits for their camera or you can make your own. As for the radar detector you can also run a hardware kit to the fuse box. I personally didn’t want to run two separate cables to the fusebox so I instead purchased the MirrorTap kit alongside a BlendMount for a nice clean install. This allows the radar detector to be powered by your auto dimming rearview mirror. Since my Accord doesn’t have a auto dimming (I believe only the touring model has that) I tapped into the power connector of the CMBS camera just above the mirror. Works flawlessly and looks super clean. BlendMount and MirrorTap combo can be pricey but I’m my option it’s def worth it. I also use a sunshade when it’s crazy hot here in SoCal and since my radar detector now sits nicely tucked below my mirror the sunshade clears the detector no problem. Heres how it looks, I have a Uniden R7 Radar Detector and Thinkware U1000 Dashcam Hooking up power using MirrorTap for Radar Detector. View attachment 7386 U1000 Dashcam sits to the top left of my rearview mirror, doesn’t obstruct my view. Radar Detector mounted using BlendMount for a nice seamless look. Notice sunshade clears no problem too! View attachment 7387
i am also hardwiring both. I am doing both to the fuse box since I have the mirror mount for the radar but it’s a clean set up. Only thing is not sure what fuses i should use. For the dash cam I want to use a fuse that has power all the time but also needs to be connected to acc. The radar i want to use a fuse that only turns on when i turn the car on which is the acc but not sure if there’s another fuse i can use instead of running both to one. Can someone help me with this

#5 ·
This plug (below) allows you to use the 12 volt socket for the radar, and one or two 5 volt USB sockets for the camera. You can then run both wires concealed to the rear view mirror area. Note that the plug itself has plain non-coiled wire, not the coil in the photos. Did this in two cars and works well

#6 ·
If your already wiring something in why use the existing socket when you can just get this and leave the socket open. Add a fuse to fuse #45....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.