2018 Honda Accord Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I park my car away from all other cars. I have set my windows where only my driverside window opens. The other windows are disengaged and can not be opened unless I press the button to do so. Today, I came outside to find the other three windows down. Passenger window all the way down and the back driver and passenger windows down to the place they can go no farther. Question is can someone else use their remote and tamper with or lower the windows on your vehicle? This has never happened before, but it did spook me as I know that I did not disengage the mechanism to lower the windows. In fact, it was still lit and in the original position. In order to lower the other three windows, you do have to press the buttons to do so and I did not press the button to lower the other windows of the vehicle, not even by mistake as I would be able to see my passenger side window down.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am going to purposely try that. I did not know it was possible. I press the button to open my door, release the trunk and did not think there was any other use for the fob. I'll report back once I try it.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I use that feature of my remote a lot because I like riding with my windows down and moonroof open.

However, I believe every salesperson should make it a point to demonstrate the feature to buyers ... not just because it's a nice feature, but mainly to warn them of the potential to accidentally open their windows and moonroof. It happens more often to those who keep their remote in their pants pocket.

Imagine thinking that you've secured your car after parking, but the windows have been mysteriously rolled down ... an open invitation to thieves. Or, the windows were down and the interior gets drenched during a heavy rain. If you have no idea how that happened, then you're more likely to freak out about it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am going to purposely try that. I did not know it was possible. I press the button to open my door, release the trunk and did not think there was any other use for the fob. I'll report back once I try it.
I use that feature of my remote a lot because I like riding with my windows down and moonroof open.

However, I believe every salesperson should make it a point to demonstrate the feature to buyers ... not just because it's a nice feature, but mainly to warn them of the potential to accidentally open their windows and moonroof. It happens more often to those who keep their remote in their pants pocket.

Imagine thinking that you've secured your car after parking, but the windows have been mysteriously rolled down ... an open invitation to thieves. Or, the windows were down and the interior gets drenched during a heavy rain. If you have no idea how that happened, then you're more likely to freak out about it.
Definitely unnerved me, to say the least. I am anal about securing my vehicle and also try to park it nowhere near other cars. I have the side bumper guards on my vehicle but still would rather not park next to other vehicles if I can help it. So I thought when I returned to my vehicle it was something like those automatic door remotes where someone else not of the household can use to raise a stranger's garage door. There are also several vehicles same color and year as mine and I thought perhaps their fob had been used to lower my windows. I did have my tote bag in my vehicle and it made me think about how had I parked near other vehicles, I might have been unlucky.

·
Administrator
2,610 Posts
Were you able to try this and determine this is what caused your windows to go down?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Were you able to try this and determine this is what caused your windows to go down?
Yes! Apologies for not getting back to you sooner. I tried it and the windows came down even though the windows are programmed for only my driver's side window to lower. The yellow light was still on my driver's side panel as if the windows being able to be lowered when I pressed the fob was still in its original setting. Thank you so much. Now, I just have to make sure I do not press the fob to lower the windows when I don't want them to do so.

Reactions: BuickNut

·
Administrator
2,610 Posts
Yes! Apologies for not getting back to you sooner. I tried it and the windows came down even though the windows are programmed for only my driver's side window to lower. The yellow light was still on my driver's side panel as if the windows being able to be lowered when I pressed the fob was still in its original setting. Thank you so much. Now, I just have to make sure I do not press the fob to lower the windows when I don't want them to do so.
Ok... glad you found out this was the cause... now you know of this option and hopefully its knowledge will prevent a catastrophe (IE: you inadvertently having this happen in inclement weather).

·
Registered
115 Posts
I accidentally must have pressed those sequence of buttons on my remote because I came out of the store one day and they were all down. I strongly believe I didn’t hit the buttons. But I was carrying things in my hands. I find the feature to be pointless. But ??‍♀

·
Administrator
2,610 Posts
Only purpose I can think of for this feature is if you come to your car on an extremely hot day (and didn't remote start it) opening all the windows and roof would let the trapped heat escape quickly. You could then start the car and in theory it may assist in cooling the car off quicker. :unsure:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I accidentally must have pressed those sequence of buttons on my remote because I came out of the store one day and they were all down. I strongly believe I didn’t hit the buttons. But I was carrying things in my hands. I find the feature to be pointless. But ??‍♀
This may be off-topic, but let me also say that a neighbor of mine today politely told me he has been closing the trunk of my car several times. The only thing I can think of is there must be something either I am doing by pressing the fob a second time to hear that chime sound meaning the doors are closed or I have been pressing something which opens the trunk. I am going to hopefully find out which one since I have nothing of value in my trunk, but would not want anything to come up missing in it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You can set the walk away auto lock and you don't have to worry about hitting the buttons on the fob. FYI this will only work w/the fob you use to set it with. IE if you use fob 1 to create this setting it will only work w/that fob
The Honda Accord LX version does not come with the walk-away auto-lock. It is not an option when I scroll the options to set. I can set the doors to either my driver door opens only or the other doors also. There is not an option though for the walk-away. Wish there was though. Looks like they had one for the 2018 model though.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you find the windows all down as you and I both have done, you can take the key out of the fob and turn the key to the lock position and the windows will go back up. This is so you won't have to get in the car turn the ignition and then one by one raise the windows to the closed position.

·
Administrator
2,610 Posts
The Honda Accord LX version does not come with the walk-away auto-lock. It is not an option when I scroll the options to set. I can set the doors to either my driver door opens only or the other doors also. There is not an option though for the walk-away. Wish there was though. Looks like they had one for the 2018 model though.
Well dang... that sucks!!! :(

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well dang... that sucks!!! :(
I agree. Especially when there are different years of the Honda Civic which does have that feature. Wish I had that one and the ability to make the car start without me being in the car and pressing the start button. Guess depends on the version you purchased which determines what features come with it. Believe I also looked at the version with the sunroof but decided I did not want a sunroof and that is probably the version which came with the additional features.

·
Administrator
2,610 Posts
I agree. Especially when there are different years of the Honda Civic which does have that feature. Wish I had that one and the ability to make the car start without me being in the car and pressing the start button. Guess depends on the version you purchased which determines what features come with it. Believe I also looked at the version with the sunroof but decided I did not want a sunroof and that is probably the version which came with the additional features.
It is a nice feature... I keep my fob in a leather case attached to a belt loop and never touch/use the buttons. If I need/want to remote start the car I use the HondaLink app which if needed I can lock/unlock doors w/app also.

·
Registered
115 Posts
This may be off-topic, but let me also say that a neighbor of mine today politely told me he has been closing the trunk of my car several times. The only thing I can think of is there must be something either I am doing by pressing the fob a second time to hear that chime sound meaning the doors are closed or I have been pressing something which opens the trunk. I am going to hopefully find out which one since I have nothing of value in my trunk, but would not want anything to come up missing in it.
Wow. Thank god for the neighbor closing it for you. That’s strange that it’s happened several times. I’m interested to know what it is.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Wow. Thank god for the neighbor closing it for you. That’s strange that it’s happened several times. I’m interested to know what it is.
More than likely it's because the fob is in his pocket with keys, coins and other objects pressing against the trunk button. AKA, Fob in Pocket Syndrome.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts