2018 Honda Accord Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 2018 Accord Sport 2.0 and noticed my rear rotors looked bad. They look like the pads have not touched them in a month or two, the front rotors are nice and smooth however.
I decided to take off my rear tires to get a better look, and when I took off the driver side rear wheel, there was a drop or two of what smelled like brake oil. The part of the rotor where the wheel bolts onto was wet and greasy looking. The passenger rear side was dry, but both rotors looked the same.

I have scheduled an appointment with the Honda dealer I purchased from, but my appointment isn't until Oct 15. Anybody have experience with an issue like this on a 1 year old vehicle? Any issue should be covered under warranty correct?

·
Administrator
2,549 Posts
Have not had that issue. The fact that you are seeing/feeling what appears to be brake fluid IMO would mean there is a breach in the system somewhere to allow the fluid to escape and should be a warranty repair.

Let us know the outcome when you get it back from service appointment.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Like you had already mentioned, pads looks like they haven't worked very hard lately. I would drive the car up to 60 mph then smash on the brakes to the point of almost activating abs. Do this 3-4 times, then look at your rear rotor and see if they have changed in appearance. If this doesn't change the look, I would try stopping on a downward slope, activate the ebrake while you are slightly rolling down the hill. Just enough for the car to move and keep the rear wheels turning.

When you say "brake oil", I assume you mean brake fluid? I do not know this for certain, but honda may have put a lube of some sort on the rotor that contacts the wheel to help prevent corrosion or rusting. Have you removed the rear passenger wheel to see if the rotor/hub looks the same or has the same oil/smell on it?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I also noticed there looks like something dripping onto the floor beneath your rotor, is that fresh or from something else? Check the inside barrel of the wheel for grease or oil. If there is a leak or problem there should be some residue or grease there as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update:
Went to the dealer today, they said it looks like the rear brakes have corrosion due to lack of driving the vehicle. Basically because I put so few kms on the car, the rear brakes became corroded. They said its not covered under warranty, and they advised to clean/skim the rotors. I asked them how making the rotors smooth will suddenly allow the brake pads to apply to the rotor and they said I can have the calipers serviced for an extra cost. I forgot to ask about the oil on the rotor as you can see in the photo above.

Needless to say I declined their advice and left. I will not be paying to "clean" the rotors when they cant definitively explain the reason why the brake pads are not making contact with the rotors and where the leak is from. Between this issue, the fuel dilution issue (yes my 2.0 Sport has this issue) and the paint issues (dirt under clear coat in many spots/ paint bubbling) I will be done with Honda. Quality control has gone downhill greatly.

In response to 9KEVERYDAY, I tried your suggestion stopping hard a few times, that did not change the look at all. I could not test out the ebrake downhill as there were no hills on my way back. I will try that out tomorrow morning. The photos of the rotors I posted previously are from both rear wheels. The rotor with oil/fluid on it is the left rear and the right rear was dry. However, both rear rotors and pads have the same issue.

·
Administrator
2,549 Posts
Update:
Went to the dealer today, they said it looks like the rear brakes have corrosion due to lack of driving the vehicle. Basically because I put so few kms on the car, the rear brakes became corroded. They said its not covered under warranty, and they advised to clean/skim the rotors. I asked them how making the rotors smooth will suddenly allow the brake pads to apply to the rotor and they said I can have the calipers serviced for an extra cost. I forgot to ask about the oil on the rotor as you can see in the photo above.

Needless to say I declined their advice and left. I will not be paying to "clean" the rotors when they cant definitively explain the reason why the brake pads are not making contact with the rotors and where the leak is from. Between this issue, the fuel dilution issue (yes my 2.0 Sport has this issue) and the paint issues (dirt under clear coat in many spots/ paint bubbling) I will be done with Honda. Quality control has gone downhill greatly.

In response to 9KEVERYDAY, I tried your suggestion stopping hard a few times, that did not change the look at all. I could not test out the ebrake downhill as there were no hills on my way back. I will try that out tomorrow morning. The photos of the rotors I posted previously are from both rear wheels. The rotor with oil/fluid on it is the left rear and the right rear was dry. However, both rear rotors and pads have the same issue.
I have limited miles on my car (5,500 +/- it'll be 2 years old in March) and don't have that issue. Yes I have noticed there will be "surface" (for lack of better/correct term) rust on my rotors if car sits for a few days... especially if it rains. With that said the first time I drive it, it cleans right off. You should try another dealership and contact Honda Customer Service....

American Honda Motor Co., Inc.
Honda's Automobile Customer Service
Mail Stop 100-5E-8A 1919 Torrance Boulevard
Torrance, CA 90501-2746

800-999-1009

·
Administrator
2,549 Posts
Yes I will definitely be contacting Honda Canada, thank you for providing info for Honda America, appreciate the help none the less.
You're welcome.... I'll try to remember to get pictures of mine when I notice the rust again and picture after I drive the car. Good luck. (y)

·
Administrator
2,549 Posts
Thought of something... have you checked the brake fluid level of your car? If not I would take a piece of scotch tape put it on the reservoir mark it at the level the fluid is, and date it (take it a step further and do this @ the dealership witnessed by someone at dealer... IE: Manager of Service Department, General Manager of Dealership, Owner, etc.). If there is a leak the fluid level in the reservoir should be going down... under normal operation that level should only go down as the brake pads wear out. With you having limited miles on your car than it shouldn't be going down... therefore not a "routine maintenance" issue but a "warranty" issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
So I have a 2018 Accord Sport 2.0 and noticed my rear rotors looked bad. They look like the pads have not touched them in a month or two, the front rotors are nice and smooth however.
I decided to take off my rear tires to get a better look, and when I took off the driver side rear wheel, there was a drop or two of what smelled like brake oil. The part of the rotor where the wheel bolts onto was wet and greasy looking. The passenger rear side was dry, but both rotors looked the same.

I have scheduled an appointment with the Honda dealer I purchased from, but my appointment isn't until Oct 15. Anybody have experience with an issue like this on a 1 year old vehicle? Any issue should be covered under warranty correct? View attachment 3806 View attachment 3807
My husband noticed rust on the 2018 we brought 3/2019. The dealer claim it was nothing. I'm nervous now. I traded the vehicle in for 2019 this week. I'm starting to hear squalling from the back passenger right. I'm concern this is unnoticed by Honda.

·
Registered
903 Posts
IF ANYONE Read My Earlier Post where I painted the Calipers and Rotor Hats , Axle Hubs - it does make a Difference .
But Looking at the Issue at Hand Here and those Pads ~ I'd say to Honda ~ there had to be " Impurities in the " Brake Lines " or " Brake Calipers "
from Manufacturing - which has Caused sight leak on Seals or Very Poor Material Selection of Caliper Seal " Dust Boots "
I have seen " Dust Boots " with a Thin Metal Ring ~ Built into the Rubber Boot ( Supposedly to Hold Dust Boot Into the Groove on Caliper Better ) ~ I have called - BS on this Design !
As Caliper Dust Boots worked Fine for 30 years with No Metal Ring .. Metallic Ring " If " in these Dust Boots seems to Rust some and - Factory say it's OK - again - BS Have Honda
Produce a Material Certification of said Ring . . as it seem to be way Worse on Vehicles up North ! 100 Bucks say it's suppose to be SS , but probably a Poor Call
On Type of SS or Worst Plain ( Spring Steel ) . . .

After 30 days -45 day of Dicking around with Honda - You will have to have the Rotors Dusted and New Pads - Place onto Rear . . . Period ..

·
Registered
903 Posts
Best Deal to a Cure is - CYRO Rotors and Euro Pad , even that You have to get Brakes Hot and Everyone should be having
Brake Fluid 100% Bleed ( Early ) - My Rear Rotors are looking little Rough , but it seems to be Combo of Harder Pads and Softer Rotor , that said
I will be Bleeding Brakes Early Also !

·
Registered
903 Posts
My Other Take on this Issue which appears on Other ~ Vehicles that Sit ~ is Y Don't these Cars have Anodes on them like Boats do for Salt Water ~ seeing the same Conditions
Are Accruing ~ My Front Rotors ~ Picture taken just last week when I Finally got around doing Tire Rotation ~ which was ~ Way Over Do !

·
Registered
2 Posts
I own a 2018 Honda Accord touring, and have had the same issues unfortunately. I had noticed the rotor wear early on but didn’t jump on it. At about 37k my passenger seat began shaking when stopped sitting on the brake, so I ended up taking it in to Honda. Honda was great about it, but I’m unsure if it was because they believed it to be a warranty case or because we were in the middle of purchasing another vehicle from them. They told me the pads were worn all the way through in the rear, and there was excessive damage to the rotors. They also said the front rotors were warped. They mechanic said he believed the cause be cheap pads put on the car in factory, as it hasn’t even got 40k and they were worn through, and depending on your driving you should be getting 65-80k. They did exchange the pads and rotors in the rear under warranty and they also machined down the front rotors so they were even. I’ve since put about 10k on the accord since that service in November 2019, and I’m beginning to see the same wear trend in the rear again. I will end up taking it back to Honda in August and have them look further into it. Whether this is a brake line deficiency, or a caliper issue I’m not sure. I think the strangest part is that the excessive wear is on the rear, and on a front wheel drive vehicle, the front should be doing most of the work. The first two photos are most recent, 10k after having the rotors replaced. The third photo is from the wear at 37k, and was identical on both sides. Front rotor wear is non existent or normal.

·
Registered
88 Posts

I have scheduled an appointment with the Honda dealer I purchased from, but my appointment isn't until Oct 15. Anybody have experience with an issue like this on a 1 year old vehicle? Any issue should be covered under warranty correct?
View attachment 3806 View attachment 3807
Is your October 15th date with the dealer for your convenience, or is it the earliest appointment they would give you. I am not sure where you are located, but if it's the latter, time for a new dealer. That is absolutely unacceptable. However, before I change dealers, I would go to this dealer tomorrow and demand that they look at your car. It involves the brakes. My goodness.

Good luck, and please keep us posted.

·
Administrator
2,549 Posts
Is your October 15th date with the dealer for your convenience, or is it the earliest appointment they would give you. I am not sure where you are located, but if it's the latter, time for a new dealer. That is absolutely unacceptable. However, before I change dealers, I would go to this dealer tomorrow and demand that they look at your car. It involves the brakes. My goodness.

Good luck, and please keep us posted.
The post you quoted was made October 6, 2019 (10 months ago) which would have made their appointment within a week of that post.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I own a 2018 Honda Accord touring, and have had the same issues unfortunately. I had noticed the rotor wear early on but didn’t jump on it. At about 37k my passenger seat began shaking when stopped sitting on the brake, so I ended up taking it in to Honda. Honda was great about it, but I’m unsure if it was because they believed it to be a warranty case or because we were in the middle of purchasing another vehicle from them. They told me the pads were worn all the way through in the rear, and there was excessive damage to the rotors. They also said the front rotors were warped. They mechanic said he believed the cause be cheap pads put on the car in factory, as it hasn’t even got 40k and they were worn through, and depending on your driving you should be getting 65-80k. They did exchange the pads and rotors in the rear under warranty and they also machined down the front rotors so they were even. I’ve since put about 10k on the accord since that service in November 2019, and I’m beginning to see the same wear trend in the rear again. I will end up taking it back to Honda in August and have them look further into it. Whether this is a brake line deficiency, or a caliper issue I’m not sure. I think the strangest part is that the excessive wear is on the rear, and on a front wheel drive vehicle, the front should be doing most of the work. The first two photos are most recent, 10k after having the rotors replaced. The third photo is from the wear at 37k, and was identical on both sides. Front rotor wear is non existent or normal. View attachment 4960 View attachment 4961 View attachment 4962

Facing the same issue with the rear rotors. I also have a 2018 Touring 2.0 with 27k miles, the body of the car vibrates when I brake on highway speeds [above 60 mph].

The dealer suggested that I have to resurface the rotors or replace it and said its not covered under warranty. The front rotors are perfectly fine. I decided to deal with it during the next service appointment. Probably i have to try with a different dealer and see how it goes.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts