2018 Honda Accord Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Here are Pictures of 2 Year Old Honda Accord's Rear Brakes : this ~ Ride is Garage Kept & in Southern State . .
These were Cleaned when New as Brakes were Rusty coming Off New Car Parking Lot !
After I gave these good wipe down with Gas & Old Rag - then Clean with Carb. Cleaner , Wiped down again then Repainted
High Temop Ceramic Brake Paint ..

These are Same Brakes After :

It Does Pay to take Care of Your Equipment :
Shot of Brake Pads on Two Years , High 20"s on Miles , so Honda does Sit some ..

After Looking @ These Rear Brakes , I still have to say - Honda has an Issue with Electrolysis Happening on Rear Rotors - Even Center Hub had to be Cleaned
From the Factory - This Model Sat on Lot for 7 Months - moved from Time to Time and had 66 Miles of Test Rides on it ..about 10 Test ..

My Volvo had Rear Brakes Issues Just Like You Guys are Showing with all Your Rear Brakes , My Volvo Sat Outside & Gravel Drive-Way which didn't Help ..
Boat Type Anodes made of Sacrificial zinc should be Added . . to Under Carriage in Rear some Place .. Just My 5 Cents . .

·
Registered
1 Posts
i just had to pay $260 to replace rear pads and resurface rotars. I only have 35k miles and the driver rear pad was down to 0mm but the passenger rear still had 4mm left. What would cause this? And I’m mad they wouldn’t perform under warranty.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just curious to know how many of these issues are with manual transmission Accords. I have both a 2018 (wife's) and a 2019 Accord both with 6 spd manual transmissions. It seems to me, engineer thinking here, that the electronic emergency brake must be applied in order to start the car. For this reason, the pads squeeze the rotor (with extreme pressure) and this pressure causes the area to 'friction pit', meaning a deterioration in that particular spot. After lots of these area getting pitted, you have a quick erosion of the rotor and then the pads also begin to have grooves. Once the pads are no longer smooth, the issue compounds itself. This is kind of a defect based on the electronic brake engagement on manual transmission Accords (2018,2019 and 2020). They stopped producing manuals after 2020.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Add me to the list of ugly-ass rear rotors. Here is my rear, passenger rotor:

Shoe Automotive tire Wood Bicycle tire Rim
Automotive tire Idiophone Musical instrument Rim Automotive wheel system
Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Automotive tire Synthetic rubber

FWIW, car lives in SE PA now, but prior to December it lived in NH... Loud noises while braking so will be swapping out pads and rotors soon...

·
Administrator
2,843 Posts

·
Administrator
2,843 Posts
You're telling me! I am debating whether it's worth my time and energy to talk to Honda about the issue...
It wouldn't hurt to contact Honda...

Honda Automobile Customer Service, American Honda Motor Co., Inc.

800-999-1009

American Honda Motor Co., Inc.
Honda Automobile Customer Service
Mail Stop 100-5E-8A
1919 Torrance Boulevard
Torrance, CA 90501-2746

hondacertified.com

Monday - Friday
0600 - 1700
Pacific Time

You may also want to register a complaint with NHTSA. Doing a Google search just now found a couple postings of issues with Honda rotors on X Gen Accord and other model of their cars.

Brake rotors and stealership experience!

Are the rear brake rotors on the Si (and other models) defective?

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Add me to the list of ugly-ass rear rotors. Here is my rear, passenger rotor:

View attachment 6207 View attachment 6206 View attachment 6208

FWIW, car lives in SE PA now, but prior to December it lived in NH... Loud noises while braking so will be swapping out pads and rotors soon...

THIS ALL CAUSED FORM CLIMATE & Slats on Your Roads , but Mostly sitting outside in " Rain on Gravel Driveways "

Parking in Dry Garage - Heat drys everything and it stays Dry . .

Other is some Basic Cleaning & Paint Go a Long Way . .

·
Registered
65 Posts
I think the strangest part is that the excessive wear is on the rear, and on a front wheel drive vehicle, the front should be doing most of the work. The first two photos are most recent, 10k after having the rotors replaced. The third photo is from the wear at 37k, and was identical on both sides. Front rotor wear is non existent or normal.
My ’05 Mazda 3 had a similar issue. The problem with that was simply the pad compound Mazda used on the rear brakes from the factory. Even though there was a ~60/40 front/rear brake bias the softer material on the rear brake pads made them both wear really quickly, and dust like crazy. My silver wheels quickly looked like they were actually a graphite color unless cleaned frequently. Mazda did end up changing the pads the provided a couple of model years in on the 3, so the dusting issue stopped. Pretty sure they still wore more quickly than the fronts. Most owners would just swap them out for different semi-metallic, or ceramic pads and have no problems.

·
Registered
1 Posts
As a reference, this is what the front rotors look like now at 47k View attachment 4964 View attachment 4965
You are more fortuante than I was. Our 2018 Accord had serious brake problems with only 21300 miles of use in three years. A local gargage said we needed new rear pads and rotrors since the latter were too bad to be refinished. The deaker said all four brake pads were at 2 out of ten and needed to be replaced and all four rotors needed to be resurfaced. This was considered "normal wear and tear" and thus not covered under the original warranty nor the Honda extended warranty. This was my fifth Honda and might be my last. I bought it becasue I was tiredvof paying for repairs on our old Honda Accord. If this is what I can expect- $800 brake job every 20K miles than it is time to look elswehere. While at the dealer I looked at buying a 2021 Accord as our second car but now it s timee to check out Camrys instead. It seems as nice as our Accord is the model is a lemon based on so many others having brake issues.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I brought my 2018 Accord (11k miles)to a dealer for a recall, and was told I also needed new rear brake pads & rotors for $700+ and that if I drove any farther I’d be in imminent danger. My mechanic found that the pads were not moving freely in the calipers, and the rotors didn’t need replacing. With good quality aftermarket pads, the total was $280. I read of other identical problems and all except one were refused warranty coverage.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Can't recall where I had seen a Tech. Bulletin that said Honda is Aware of this Issue with Early Corrosion ( Working on Solution )

Years ago a Company made Pads with High Content of Teflon & Kevlar - Beat Freaking Pads I ever Owned on any Car ..

Things - " Never Ever Rusted up a Rotor " Period went 55K still had Life were Super Quite & Clean also..
Went to BUY another set - NOPE Gone ! Company stopped making them !

Owner of Brake I Knew Very Well - Bought Guy Donuts all Time .. Owner of Shop told Me He Believes the Pads were to Dam Good !

21 - 36 of 36 Posts