2018 Honda Accord Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm shopping for rear decklid spoilers.

Leaning towards this style which happens to be on the new NSX (last pic). Adds a little more character over the factory spoiler accessory.

Show us your favorite.

Attachments

· Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I found the JDM V Type trunk lid spoiler at HiRevSports add about $90 painted. Dealer said to have an aftermarket catalog; that I need to browse.

· Registered
969 Posts
The Type V is the only one that will cover all the holes left when you remove the stock spoiler. I used some silicone and flex tape to seal the old spoiler holes from the trunk side and mounted the Type V using 3M tape and silicone.

View attachment 4247

View attachment 4248

View attachment 4249
Does this tend to hold up well to heat and what not when attached like that? I don't have a spoiler stock and have been looking at options like that for my vehicle. Just hesitant because of the heat here likes to make mush out of glue and what not

· Registered
80 Posts
Does this tend to hold up well to heat and what not when attached like that? I don't have a spoiler stock and have been looking at options like that for my vehicle. Just hesitant because of the heat here likes to make mush out of glue and what not
I live in Texas Dallas Texas exactly and we are regularly over 100° in the summertime. This only helps the glue to lock in and really attach permanently. Just make sure to use isopropyl alcohol to clean the area where the 3M tape and silicone will attach. This is my third spoiler to mount using nothing more than 3M tape and silicone and have never had one fall off and I go through automatic car washes .

· Registered
9 Posts

· Registered
24 Posts
I just receive my Type V spoiler today. Upon examination, the double sided tape on the backside looks very crudely cut and does not extend to the corners (see pic of screenshot from an install by “Boosted Whipz” posted on YouTube). Did anyone else have a similar experience?

· Administrator
2,866 Posts

· Registered
24 Posts
I messaged the seller on eBay with my question. The manufacturer of the Type V spoilers should be the same -Akasaka. I was hoping to install it today but looks like it will have to wait.

Should I be concerned about water seeping underneath the spoiler through the gaps in the tape and rusting the deck lid?

· Administrator
2,866 Posts
If they are indeed the same manufacturer could be Boosted Whipz redid the tape. As for water getting under the spoiler and causing rust IMO I don't think that would be an issue... if water was to get under the spoiler w/those gaps it should be able to get out... add to that the gaps will allow it to breath underneath the spoiler.

· Registered
80 Posts
Mine came with a roll of 3M tape and I applied it to the spoiler myself. As for water I’m pretty sure your fine there as long as you seal the holes from the stock spoiler. I used flexseal tape from the trunk side and clear silicone from the top side. I also used silicone in the voids of the spoiler to insure it would stick tightly to the trunk lid. I would pull that tape off the spoiler and apply your own 3M tape.

· Registered
119 Posts
All of the accessories like body side molding, bumper lower moldings and spoilers (besides the civic hatch top spoiler) have 3m tape and all have gaps in the tape to allow for water to escape. Here is a photo of the aftermarket spoiler available from Honda with the 3m tape.

· Registered
71 Posts
I had no idea.. that these sort of things were held on by 3m tape.. Id like to see an actual wing that look good for this car.
They use 3M tape on aircraft...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.