2018 Honda Accord Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my ‘18 Accord Touring with 19” wheels less than a month ago. I live in NJ where our roads suffer badly after a snowstorm. Last night I was driving and hit my 3rd pothole that caused a 3rd flat tire in a 2 week span. All 3x it was the front right tire (passenger front).

My first pothole was bad and unexpected and I understand why it caused a flat, but the later two were not something I would’ve flinched at in any of my prior 4 vehicles. But this one shortly after sparked the TPMS and went flat. Sidewall issues each time, so the tire needs to be replaced.

Luckily from a cost perspective, I purchased the Allstate protection for tire replacements so my last two, and any future flats will be replaced for free. That said, it’s a major inconvenience to get a flat tire every week.

Does anyone have any experience or advice here? I understand these are low profile tires but this is absurd. For the record, these were all hit at night with low visibility so “going around them” is obviously the best solution but not realistic in this scenario.

·
Registered
200 Posts
No experience or advice to offer, but my opinion. I'm stuck with those 19" tires as well and fear what you have experienced. I love the rims, but hate the tires.

I believe the 19" tires should have been on the Sport trim only for those who want the feel of a sports car. The Touring trim (being the top-of-the-line quasi-luxury car) should have had nothing bigger than 17" tires with a 50% profile.

I also believe the NHTSA should stop manufacturers from putting those low profile tires on cars. Potholes are a staple of our roads, and tires that blowout at every other pothole is a major safety hazard. Go back to 16" and 17" high profile tires to cushion me from road imperfections.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree, it’s terrible. While I do love the rims, I agree that it should at least be a choice for size. I bought the Touring primarily for the interior upgrades, this size scares me. Not to mention, worse mileage. I’m getting the same mileage on my 18 Accord Touring that I did on my 15 CR-V EX-L.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I got my ‘18 Accord Touring with 19” wheels less than a month ago. I live in NJ where our roads suffer badly after a snowstorm. Last night I was driving and hit my 3rd pothole that caused a 3rd flat tire in a 2 week span. All 3x it was the front right tire (passenger front).

My first pothole was bad and unexpected and I understand why it caused a flat, but the later two were not something I would’ve flinched at in any of my prior 4 vehicles. But this one shortly after sparked the TPMS and went flat. Sidewall issues each time, so the tire needs to be replaced.

Luckily from a cost perspective, I purchased the Allstate protection for tire replacements so my last two, and any future flats will be replaced for free. That said, it’s a major inconvenience to get a flat tire every week.

Does anyone have any experience or advice here? I understand these are low profile tires but this is absurd. For the record, these were all hit at night with low visibility so “going around them” is obviously the best solution but not realistic in this scenario.

Funny, when I took my car home, within a week, the passenger from went flat. I checked all tires and the others were at 25PSI. I re-pressurized and then took to the dealer.

The right front tire was damaged and the dealer replaced. I checked pressure yesterday and the only tire a tad low was that same passenger front tire.

Just seems odd.

Is your tire being punctured or is your dealer just terrible at mounting tires?

Get some soap suds and see if the stem is leaking.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just seems odd.

Is your tire being punctured or is your dealer just terrible at mounting tires?

Get some soap suds and see if the stem is leaking.
Maybe I’ll try that. The first tire I did some poking around and saw the damaged side wall myself, but the later two I didn’t even examine much myself because I was just so frustrated. I’d like to think they know what they’re doing and it was two different people the first two times, but it seems plausible at this point.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Maybe I’ll try that. The first tire I did some poking around and saw the damaged side wall myself, but the later two I didn’t even examine much myself because I was just so frustrated. I’d like to think they know what they’re doing and it was two different people the first two times, but it seems plausible at this point.
Not if it means they are paying for a new tire. If you drove on it flat at speed, then you may have damaged the side-wall.

·
Super Moderator
1,850 Posts
@sainatna have you checked/confirmed your tire pressure is at the recommended pressure? I have found that the TPMS isn't the best and have found my tires at a lower than recommended pressure w/no warning from the TPMS system.

I agree w/what has been said that the OEM 19" wheel/tire combo looks are great, but there are several drawbacks... increased risk of curb rash of the rims, and possible tire/wheel damage done by potholes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not if it means they are paying for a new tire. If you drove on it flat at speed, then you may have damaged the side-wall.
I didn’t drive on it flat. Each time they were slow leaks the TPMS didn’t come on until 2 hours later the first time and about 5 mins later the second two times.

When I pulled over the tire was still firm just obviously low.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
have you checked/confirmed your tire pressure is at the recommended pressure? I have found that the TPMS isn't the best and have found my tires at a lower than recommended pressure w/no warning from the TPMS system.
I will try tomorrow I’m beginning to lose faith in the service center because it sounds like, although not unheard of, it’s not very typical what I’ve experienced either.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Totally agree it’s a strange decision to have these firm tires with little cushion on a Touring edition. Is it not possible to get a slightly higher tire on the 19” rims when replacing the OEM ones to add a little distance between you and the road? Or would that cause the tire to scrape in the wheel well? In PA I’ve noticed I’m slamming over awful potholes and my TPMS light came on a few times. I reinflated and hit the reset TPMS menu option and so far so good. Nevertheless while it handles great and grips the road well, I’ve never had a car with such a firm ride. I actually went to the store to buy one of those stadium seat cushions to add a little closed cell foam padding between me and the car as I’m tired of dragging my butt through over every bump in the road.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I haven’t had issues on the accord. My previous vehicle had 19” rims and I had a pot hole take out my tire and rim. $900 to replace. Luckily Honda has wrap around coverage on this lease that includes bent rims, tire damage, rim rash etc free of charge.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a 2019 Sport 2.0T with the 19" wheels. I actually think the ride quality is fine and I have not had a problem with any flats due to poor road surface. I live in South West Florida so pot holes are not really that big of a problem because we never have to use road salt. My home state is NJ so I know exactly what you're talking about. Some of the pot holes are the size of a kiddie pool

·
Registered
133 Posts
No experience or advice to offer, but my opinion. I'm stuck with those 19" tires as well and fear what you have experienced. I love the rims but hate the tires.

I believe the 19" tires should have been on the Sport trim only for those who want the feel of a sports car. The Touring trim (being the top-of-the-line quasi-luxury car) should have had nothing bigger than 17" tires with a 50% profile.

I also believe the NHTSA should stop manufacturers from putting those low profile tires on cars. Potholes are a staple of our roads, and tires that blowout at every other pothole is a major safety hazard. Go back to 16" and 17" high profile tires to cushion me from road imperfections.
Keyboard you're hilarious. All you need is more sidewall and width, said it from day one. P25/45R19 should fix curb rash and pothole tire damage.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Keyboard you're hilarious. All you need is more sidewall and width, said it from day one. P25/45R19 should fix curb rash and pothole tire damage.
Mr. BuickNut, Are you saying if I should swap out my factory-installed Michelin tires for something bigger I would have fewer flats, a better ride, and less rim damage? More details please!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts