2018 Honda Accord Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, on a 10 speaker system,who has changed the stock spekers and sub with stock amplification? I have 6.5 inch component drivers for fronts and rears from my previous car. They are 3 ohms (infinity’s).
Is it worths while changing the speakers without adding an amp?

same with the sub. Ihave a 2 ohm 8’ sub from previous install That I can drop in. It’s aN Alpine type-r. Just change it will it mess with the ANC? No amps or LOCs.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Salle2061,

I have the 1.5L sport which does not come with a sub. I've replaced front and rear speakers, unplugged ANC, and it didn't improved that much. I noticed a slight improvement when I unplugged the ANC. I think the problem is the lack of a sub and probably an amp. My next step to to add the small sub with built amp. Rockford Fosgate make one that's not expensive. I'm just looking for great clear sound. I'm not looking to make it loud.

My 2011 Odyssey has a better sound than my 2018 Accord. I just wish Honda put the premium sound package on the lower trim as the default. This is my only gripe about the Accord. I love everything about it.

Here are the speakers I bought.
Rockford Fosgate Speakers

Good Luck!
Hao

PS. Does your Apple CarPlay Nav sound comes out of the driver side speaker? I'm curious if that's how it is or something is wrong with mine.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Salle2061,

I have the 1.5L sport which does not come with a sub. I've replaced front and rear speakers, unplugged ANC, and it didn't improved that much. I noticed a slight improvement when I unplugged the ANC. I think the problem is the lack of a sub and probably an amp. My next step to to add the small sub with built amp. Rockford Fosgate make one that's not expensive. I'm just looking for great clear sound. I'm not looking to make it loud.

My 2011 Odyssey has a better sound than my 2018 Accord. I just wish Honda put the premium sound package on the lower trim as the default. This is my only gripe about the Accord. I love everything about it.

Here are the speakers I bought.
Rockford Fosgate Speakers

Good Luck!
Hao

PS. Does your Apple CarPlay Nav sound comes out of the driver side speaker? I'm curious if that's how it is or something is wrong with mine.
Thank you for your feed back. Real experience is much appreciated.

I was not aware of the differences between Canadian and US sold models. I have the sports trim and it comes with the premium system as stock. Only LX comes with 6 speaker system

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have the Accord 2.0T Touring.. I first replaced the sub with a Kicker Sub (drop in replacement with some trimming). This gave the low end the car was missing. This is still using the stock amp. The sound was pretty good, I would be satisfy with this setup, but I want more.

Next I replaced the front and rear speakers with focal ISS165. This help improve the clarity for the high, it didn't help the mid bass much. The audio sounded much better all around... it actually made the bass (Kicker sub) sound weaker... because the fronts are better.

Then I added an amp to the sub.. now much sounds stage is really good like a luxury car. The mid bass is still missing, its not bad, but not good. I plan on adding a 4-channel amp to the 4 woofers (tweeters and center powered by stock) next week.

I did all install myself. I thought I share my experience, feel free to ask me anything.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The audio sounded much better all around... it actually made the bass (Kicker sub) sound weaker... because the fronts are better.
Yeap! that's how it starts :)

Thank you for your reply. I do have a questions :)

Did you have to turn off ANC when you replaced the sub while originally being powered by the factory amp? I would like to do as much modding as possible until I impact the ANC, then i will stop. I do appreciate the ANC feature.

Unfortunately there is no details on how ANC works, that is what speakers it uses in 10-speaker system, mids and sub or sub only. (maybe I missed it)
Logic, and some basic understanding of the noise cancellation process, tells me that as long as you are using the factory amp you should not have any issues as you are using the factory processed signal. Needing to unplug the ANC, would be true if you are using a LOC like AudioSource where you are re-creating the bass the system took out. However, if you have the factory signal where the equalization and playback are controlled by the cars amp, the speakers ability should not be a factor. I am ok with that.

Most posts/comments I have read so far seam to disconnect the ANC like its an appendix. Since we are here, we might as well take it out :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
I can tell you I tapped the front speakers for signal to the sub and when the ANC kicked in it played a 40 to 60 Hz hum. So I would speculate the ANC uses all speakers including the sub to play this low signal hum to cover road noise. I disconnected it and can’t tell a bit of difference.. if your doing an audio upgrade your better off sound deadening the car than using that damn ANC

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, Ricky! If I remember correctly from another post your have a 8 speaker system? Also you used the AC LC2i at the time?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Correct I have the 8 speaker system and I did use the LC2i to feed the amplifier.
What I was hopping to find out is if you add an amp with out bass augmentation will it impact the ANC. In other words no LC2i. Thanks for the reply

·
Registered
38 Posts
From everything I’ve read the only way to add a sub without interfering with the ANC is in the 10 speaker system where they just swap the existing sub and use the factory amp to drive it. Even if you just run wires from the existing speakers to an amp input your still going to hear the ANC feedback thru your new sub. Why are you so against unplugging the ANC?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Why are you so against unplugging the ANC?
I appreciate the feature. 80% of the time I drive with radio not loud enough to overpower the road noise.

I think i got enough info, here as well as other places, to go ahead and try replacing the sub straight out. Other than time it will not cost me anything as I have one sitting unused from the car i am selling. Its a 2ohm to boot. how perfect :)

thanks again

·
Registered
38 Posts
I appreciate the feature. 80% of the time I drive with radio not loud enough to overpower the road noise.
I completely understand and I too appreciate the feature but even with it connected the road noise level in this car from day one was extremely loud. This is the main reason I want to do a whole car sound deadening treatment. I want the benefit of the reduced road noise more than any benefit to the audio system. Good luck with your install and be sure to keep us updated on the progress.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Yeap! that's how it starts :)

Thank you for your reply. I do have a questions :)

Did you have to turn off ANC when you replaced the sub while originally being powered by the factory amp? I would like to do as much modding as possible until I impact the ANC, then i will stop. I do appreciate the ANC feature.

Unfortunately there is no details on how ANC works, that is what speakers it uses in 10-speaker system, mids and sub or sub only. (maybe I missed it)
Logic, and some basic understanding of the noise cancellation process, tells me that as long as you are using the factory amp you should not have any issues as you are using the factory processed signal. Needing to unplug the ANC, would be true if you are using a LOC like AudioSource where you are re-creating the bass the system took out. However, if you have the factory signal where the equalization and playback are controlled by the cars amp, the speakers ability should not be a factor. I am ok with that.

Most posts/comments I have read so far seam to disconnect the ANC like its an appendix. Since we are here, we might as well take it out :)
Hey, I have the 10 channel system. I did NOT disconnect the ANC.. no issues.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hey, I have the 10 channel system. I did NOT disconnect the ANC.. no issues.
What did you do to the system that would warrant disconnecting the ANC? Need a little More info on this statement. Everyone I have read about that added an aftermarket amp and sub had to disconnect the ANC to prevent the tone from coming through the aftermarket sub.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What did you do to the system that would warrant disconnecting the ANC? Need a little More info on this statement. Everyone I have read about that added an aftermarket amp and sub had to disconnect the ANC to prevent the tone from coming through the aftermarket sub.
He was answering my original question. Do I have to disconnect the ANC if I only replace the sub and speakers while keeping the factory amp as the power source?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I replaced just the front speakers, the improvement was greater than I hoped, mainly the highs ($90 Infinity Primus), 100% worth the time and money IMO. BTW I did not use the Infinity crossovers.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I replaced just the front speakers, the improvement was greater than I hoped, mainly the highs ($90 Infinity Primus), 100% worth the time and money IMO. BTW I did not use the Infinity crossovers.
That is great to hear, thanks. Why no crossovers?

·
Registered
3 Posts
the stock amp has crossovers apparently and while they may not be exactly what the Infinity crossovers use, I figured it was close enough, they sound great and time will tell if the tweeters are ok

·
Registered
38 Posts
That is great to hear, thanks. Why no crossovers?
Another reason to not use the supplied crossovers is they eat up power, as much as 40% if they aren’t designed well or use cheap materials. I would just use a capacitor on the tweeters to filter out the low frequencies just like the stock tweeters use. One other thing to keep in mind is the impedance of the components, Infinity uses a 3ohm speaker and many amps don’t like anything under 4 ohms. For example if you decided to use the Kicker Key amp down the road it would not play at higher levels with the 3 ohm speakers. Anyway just something to keep in mind.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts