2018 Honda Accord Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 2018 Accord Sport with the 19" rims and Goodyear Eagle Touring tires (OEM tires for early production 2018 Accord Sports). The tires provide for a stable ride on smooth, dry surfaces but aren't good on snow/ice which we have in WA State. Overall, the OEM wheel/tire package is too fragile for my liking: too easy to curb rash the wheels; too easy to damage the tires/wheels in potholes; don't think the purported handling advantages of this wheel/tire package outweighs the losses in mpg due to heavier weight, potential damage issues and tire replacement cost in this (low aspect ratio) size. So, thinking of replacing the OEM rims with 17" or 18" wheels - I understand you can downsize up to two inches? If this is not correct, please advise. My primary question, however, is what will rim downsizing do to the TPMS system? Do I have to buy new Honda TPMS plugs, seals etc for the smaller size rims? If so, this might be a deal breaker. New to this board, thanks for any information.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Have a 2018 Accord Sport with the 19" rims and Goodyear Eagle Touring tires (OEM tires for early production 2018 Accord Sports). The tires provide for a stable ride on smooth, dry surfaces but aren't good on snow/ice which we have in WA State. Overall, the OEM wheel/tire package is too fragile for my liking: too easy to curb rash the wheels; too easy to damage the tires/wheels in potholes; don't think the purported handling advantages of this wheel/tire package outweighs the losses in mpg due to heavier weight, potential damage issues and tire replacement cost in this (low aspect ratio) size. So, thinking of replacing the OEM rims with 17" or 18" wheels - I understand you can downsize up to two inches? If this is not correct, please advise. My primary question, however, is what will rim downsizing do to the TPMS system? Do I have to buy new Honda TPMS plugs, seals etc for the smaller size rims? If so, this might be a deal breaker. New to this board, thanks for any information.
I downsized my ‘18 Sport to 18” wheels for the reasons you specify and the reduction of rotating mass and unsprung weight. My Enkei Rajins saved 10 lbs per wheel. The new Tires are Pirelli P Zero Plus all seasons.

The TPMS is unaffected as long as all wheels/tires are the same OD. No new hardware required. Our system works by measuring the comparative speed of the wheels via the ABS sensors. The tires are 245/45x18, nearly identical OD to the OEM Michelin 19”s so the speedometer and final drive ratio remains the same. Unfortunately I have no report on snow traction. Very little, so far, in western Ohio. Some snow predicted this weekend. Dry grip is better with these tires. 17” wheels might work as well. Just size the replacement tires properly. The 19”s on a car like ours are for cosmetics only.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Have a 2018 Accord Sport with the 19" rims and Goodyear Eagle Touring tires (OEM tires for early production 2018 Accord Sports). The tires provide for a stable ride on smooth, dry surfaces but aren't good on snow/ice which we have in WA State. Overall, the OEM wheel/tire package is too fragile for my liking: too easy to curb rash the wheels; too easy to damage the tires/wheels in potholes; don't think the purported handling advantages of this wheel/tire package outweighs the losses in mpg due to heavier weight, potential damage issues and tire replacement cost in this (low aspect ratio) size. So, thinking of replacing the OEM rims with 17" or 18" wheels - I understand you can downsize up to two inches? If this is not correct, please advise. My primary question, however, is what will rim downsizing due to the TPMS system? Do I have to buy new Honda TPMS plugs, seals etc for the smaller size rims? If so, this might be a deal breaker. New to this board, thanks for any information.
Steve, there is a way to search the forum to find the dead horse that you want to beat. The question has been asked and answered a Lot. :smile:
There are no TPMS as Honda uses the ABS to determine if a tire is low. You can use what you want as long as front and rear are the same outside diameters. :wink:

Reactions: SesameCreep

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the information about the TPMS not being affected if you downsize the wheels, if you keep the outside diameter of the wheel/tire package the same. Now, before making a wheel/tire purchase, how can you determine what the OD is, of both current (OEM) wheel/tire combo and of the new package to determine equivalency? Bought lots of new tires but never checked the OD as a reference point. Appreciate the responsiveness.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Thanks for the information about the TPMS not being affected if you downsize the wheels, if you keep the outside diameter of the wheel/tire package the same. Now, before making a wheel/tire purchase, how can you determine what the OD is, of both current (OEM) wheel/tire combo and of the new package to determine equivalency? Bought lots of new tires but never checked the OD as a reference point. Appreciate the responsiveness.
Tirerack.com has all the info you need plus competitive pricing for tires and wheels. They will also mount and balance the tires/wheels for free and ship to your house.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ghawkins: Did you get the BLACK Enkei Raijins? Do they look good on the car, not undersized? Did you have to buy new lug nuts to install? Thanks for the info

·
Registered
163 Posts
Ghawkins: Did you get the BLACK Enkei Raijins? Do they look good on the car, not undersized? Did you have to buy new lug nuts to install? Thanks for the info
No, got the silver ones. No, if new lug nuts or bolts are required, they will come with the order...no charge, along with a centering ring as if required. The Tire Rack web site has a feature allowing you to see whatever wheels you choose on your car.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Yep TireRack is great. They have had the pictures of any car on their web site with different wheels you choose since the mid-late 90's. I have getting ALL my tires from TireRack since 1990, and all my aftermarket wheels since '97. It's the best way to get a wheel/tire combo. They always come perfectly balanced with nice steel valve stems and valve covers that last for ever. No need to go to a shop to have the tires installed or the wheels balanced.

One time TireRack sent me wheels with the wrong offset for my Integra and they were slightly rubbing because they extended past the fender just a little, and the car was lowered 1.25" which didn't help. They FedEx'd new wheels with the right offset to my tire shop, and paid to have my tires installed on the new wheels and balanced, and paid the shop to ship the wrong wheels to them. In addition they offered to upgrade the valve stems for the inconvenience. They actually offered me a $20 credit or new heavy duty longer valve stems and I took the latter. I asked them to ship them separately, not in the wheels, and if I could keep the old valves from the wheels going back, and they said no problem, I could have both sets. I used the nicer valves on my race wheels and they never leaked a single psi and still work great 17 years later. If they mess something up they will make it right, so I always order with confidence.

Another great thing they do if you buy race tires from them they will heat cycle them at your request. That way they were sticky as soon as you started racing. No need to take a few laps to shave some rubber off and get them heated, and there were not slippery like brand new race tires and scaring you to death the first few minutes before you heat cycled them.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Bought new snows mounted on 17” wheels from TireRack. Hit calibrate and have had no issues. TireRack lists the alternate 17” tire size for Accord. Same diameter within 1/4”; did throw off speedometer by 3 mph; was right on with 19”.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Steve, there is a way to search the forum to find the dead horse that you want to beat. The question has been asked and answered a Lot. :smile:
There are no TPMS as Honda uses the ABS to determine if a tire is low. You can use what you want as long as front and rear are the same outside diameters. :wink:

Actually the manual refers to our sysstem as TPMS (page 24) and throughout the manual. That said it does use the ABS system to determine the air pressure. Must not work to well since I recently I checked my tire pressure and it was 27 psi.

·
Registered
71 Posts
May be a dead horse but I am new here and appreciate the question.

·
Super Moderator
1,857 Posts
Actually the manual refers to our sysstem as TPMS (page 24) and throughout the manual. That said it does use the ABS system to determine the air pressure. Must not work to well since I recently I checked my tire pressure and it was 27 psi.
Totally agree w/you... system isn't the best... highly recommend monthly tire pressure checks.

·
Registered
163 Posts
One caveat to that system is that if they are all the same, it will not pick that up. Keep your gauge handy. Probably winter tire syndrome.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts