2018 Honda Accord Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2018 Sport 2.0, leased in April 2018. The Goodyear Touring tires that came with the car were the worst tires on any new car I have ever driven, especially on wet roads. In fact, they were downright scary. ?:oops:Going into even a gentle curve on a wet road I had to tread very lightly on the gas pedal to prevent the front tires from breaking loose and keep the car pointed in the right direction. The same thing would happen on dry roads if I gave it enough gas. Any way, TMALSS, At 18 K miles I had had enough. I replaced the Goodyears with 4 Continental Pure Contact LS of the same size from TireRack.com based on reviews on their site and others. Wow, what a huge improvement! The Continentals completely changed the personality of the car. I can now indulge in occasional "spirited" driving with confidence.The handling on wet roads feels secure and stable. I have to really mash the gas pedal to break them loose, and they are very predictable. Dry road handling is much better too, with neutral steering with very little understeer. They are also noticeably quieter than the Goodyears. Haven't driven in the snow yet, but I'm betting they'll do just fine. So get rid of those Goodyear Touring tires and get the Continentals. You'll be glad you did.?

·
Super Moderator
1,553 Posts
Thanks for sharing your experience and recommendation of what you have found to alleviate the issue. (y)

·
Registered
178 Posts
Conti is an excellent tire. I used to run Michelen Pilots Super Sports but then they replaced them and raised the price significantly, which would have led me to run the Conti, but i sold that car. If you want ultimate grip the Michelen is they way to go. Hybrids have Michelen energy savers on them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a 2018 Sport 2.0, leased in April 2018. The Goodyear Touring tires that came with the car were the worst tires on any new car I have ever driven, especially on wet roads. In fact, they were downright scary. ?:oops:Going into even a gentle curve on a wet road I had to tread very lightly on the gas pedal to prevent the front tires from breaking loose and keep the car pointed in the right direction. The same thing would happen on dry roads if I gave it enough gas. Any way, TMALSS, At 18 K miles I had had enough. I replaced the Goodyears with 4 Continental Pure Contact LS of the same size from TireRack.com based on reviews on their site and others. Wow, what a huge improvement! The Continentals completely changed the personality of the car. I can now indulge in occasional "spirited" driving with confidence.The handling on wet roads feels secure and stable. I have to really mash the gas pedal to break them loose, and they are very predictable. Dry road handling is much better too, with neutral steering with very little understeer. They are also noticeably quieter than the Goodyears. Haven't driven in the snow yet, but I'm betting they'll do just fine. So get rid of those Goodyear Touring tires and get the Continentals. You'll be glad you did.?

Wow, I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels that way. Those tires have always felt crappy to me, but I figured maybe the car is struggling to put power down by "design." I'm at 23k miles on my 2.0 Sport 6spd and I kept feeling like maybe I lost my ability to control my clutch foot, steering wheel and overall just forgot how to drive, because yes, as soon as couple of drops make the road even just moist, I'm spinning at lights with wheel hop and look like a moron, even though I'm barely at about 1500 rpm.
I'm actually thinking of trading my '18 for a 2020 Bullitt as I am not addicted to power (thanks a lot Accord), but this is good to know!

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 2018 2.0T Touring came with Michelin Primacy MXM4 235/40/R19 and it now has about 39600 miles and they are about to be replaced soon. They performed well for 19" low profile.

·
Registered
2019 Accord Sport 1.5T
62 Posts
I haven't had any of the issues you describe with the Goodyear Eagle Touring tires my car.

My part of the country underwent some severe rainfall two weeks ago. And last weekend I went for a drive in the hills of N KY (read some serious curves) and the car stuck like glue.

·
Registered
15 Posts
"I haven't had any of the issues you describe with the Goodyear Eagle Touring tires my car."

That's due, at least in part, to the fact that you have a 1.5T, not a 2.0T

·
Registered
2019 Accord Sport 1.5T
62 Posts
"I haven't had any of the issues you describe with the Goodyear Eagle Touring tires my car."

That's due, at least in part, to the fact that you have a 1.5T, not a 2.0T
Cornering loads are independent of the engine and so far they're impressing (for OEM tires) me over the mountain roads of Northern KY

I can peel them on first and second gear, but drag racing is not what I bought the car for.

Are there better tires? Sure there are. Am I going to replace them before I get my money's worth out of them? Nope.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts