2018 Honda Accord Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
With 10 gears, it's always searching for optimal gearing based on RPM's, MPH, etc. Mine has a slight condition as described but didn't change one way or the other with the Tune I added. I'm OK with it and just ignore it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I’ve noticed this, especially when the engine is cold and more notably in Econ Mode. Seems to smooth out once warmed up.
Anyone having rough transmission shifts at lower gear s on Ten Speed in Sport mode?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a real shutter from 2nd to 3rd. It's hard and unavoidable in Normal mode, modest acceleration. It's less noted under harder acceleration. It puts a real shock to the drive train. Only a little over 2K miles but I think it deserves a visit to dealer to put them on notice. This problem with the 10 speed has been mentioned in a few long term review cars.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Have any of you had this issue resolved by the dealer? I have a new Accord 2.0T 10AT and it too has the clunky shifting. Sometimes the 2-3 shift is so bad it hesitates then slams into gear. Every 2-3 shift is rough enough to cause your head to move. I've got a little over 650 miles and just got it on Monday night. Some say it goes away after 1000 miles but some still say it persists. Even Car & Driver's long term test Accord has mentions of the shifting issue. I disconnected the battery and let it sit a few minutes last night but I didn't see any difference.

Also, does anyone else hear a faint whine when just barely breathing on the throttle at 40-60mph? It's very faint but I can hear it. If I push the pedal a little more it goes away. If you don't have good hearing you might not hear it, but I do.

·
Registered
4 Posts
so is it safe to say that this is just a really horrible transmission? My 10speed jerks all over the place in slow, casual driving in neighborhoods, for example. It's really bad during deceleration and when engine isn't fully warmed up. I can't believe anyone accepts this as ok. Luckily i'm in a short-term lease and will never look at honda again. I despise this car between the embarrassing transmission and the hood flutter.

·
Registered
3 Posts
so is it safe to say that this is just a really horrible transmission? My 10speed jerks all over the place in slow, casual driving in neighborhoods, for example. It's really bad during deceleration and when engine isn't fully warmed up. I can't believe anyone accepts this as ok. Luckily i'm in a short-term lease and will never look at honda again. I despise this car between the embarrassing transmission and the hood flutter.
2.0t 6-speed manual owner here...Couldn't be more of a polar opposite experience for me. Sorry about the troubles you are having. The 6-speed manual is virtually bulletproof but I understand not everyone wants to drive a manual these days. No instances of hood flutter that I have noticed, but I'll take a look next time I'm on the highway.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey Everybody! 100% new here..I am in Cleveland Ohio...

So, I bought a 2018 Accord 2.0T with the 10-speed Transmission on Oct 26th 2018

I started to experience the clunky shifting shortly thereafter. Did a google search and found out it wasn't just me.

I found this forum and that car and driver review.

I waited until my car went over 1,000 miles because I read here that it went away for some and some it didn't

It did not for me.

On Nov. 26th I went to the dealership I bought it at.

The clunky shifting happened the worst when it was cold.
By the time I got there, of course, my car was warmed up and I couldn't really re-create the issue.
The tech rode with me and there was nothing he could do, so I left. but it still bothered me and there was still the problem.

So, I decided to call up Honda corporate and open a case with them 2 weeks later on Dec. 10th.
Honda recommended I go back to the dealership and have them keep the car overnight and to also go to another dealership to get a second opinion.

I called up the dealership I bought it from and asked for the service manager. He had me come in on Dec. 13th and of course it was warm and I couldn't recreate the issue. So I got a loaner and left it overnight.

He called me back the next day and he drove it first thing and confirmed my issue all along. He felt it so this is what he did over the course of the next 8 days. I had a loaner for 8 days up until today when i just got my car back

1 - He attached a device to the diag. port and test drove it cold so the device could take snapshots as he drove, of the transmission.
Honda had him upload the snapshots he took to them so they could see what was going on and recommend a fix maybe from a software standpoint

2- Honda came back to him and had him do a transmission break-in procedure..essentially he erased all of the data that accumulated during the break-in period. Essentially do a reset from a software standpoint.

3 - Vehicle sat overnight so he could drive it cold. That did not fix the issue.

4 - He went back to Honda Corporate and they requested more snapshots. The tech could not see any judder issue within the second round of uploaded data.

5 - The issue was escalated to a Transmission Engineer at Honda this time. to review the already sent snapshots on 12/17/18

6 - Tech Line advised to replace the whole transmission assembly with a new transmission control unit as well

7 - They got the Transmission in on Wed. 12/19 and started to install it that day into Thurs. the 20th. After install, they performed a, neutral memorization. Service manager wanted to keep it overnight to test totally cold to make sure everything was ok.

8 - I picked it up today 12/21. All good!

I know how frustrating this is as well.I wanted to let you guys know what I went through to get this fixed correctly. Because I want to help all of you having this same issue. I really do hope Honda turns this into a recall of some sorts if enough people complain..

I hope this helps and good luck if you are still having this issue!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hey Everybody! 100% new here..I am in Cleveland Ohio...

So, I bought a 2018 Accord 2.0T with the 10-speed Transmission on Oct 26th 2018

I started to experience the clunky shifting shortly thereafter. Did a google search and found out it wasn't just me.

Thank you. .

I found this forum and that car and driver review.

I waited until my car went over 1,000 miles because I read here that it went away for some and some it didn't

It did not for me.

On Nov. 26th I went to the dealership I bought it at.

The clunky shifting happened the worst when it was cold.
By the time I got there, of course, my car was warmed up and I couldn't really re-create the issue.
The tech rode with me and there was nothing he could do, so I left. but it still bothered me and there was still the problem.

So, I decided to call up Honda corporate and open a case with them 2 weeks later on Dec. 10th.
Honda recommended I go back to the dealership and have them keep the car overnight and to also go to another dealership to get a second opinion.

I called up the dealership I bought it from and asked for the service manager. He had me come in on Dec. 13th and of course it was warm and I couldn't recreate the issue. So I got a loaner and left it overnight.

He called me back the next day and he drove it first thing and confirmed my issue all along. He felt it so this is what he did over the course of the next 8 days. I had a loaner for 8 days up until today when i just got my car back

1 - He attached a device to the diag. port and test drove it cold so the device could take snapshots as he drove, of the transmission.
Honda had him upload the snapshots he took to them so they could see what was going on and recommend a fix maybe from a software standpoint

2- Honda came back to him and had him do a transmission break-in procedure..essentially he erased all of the data that accumulated during the break-in period. Essentially do a reset from a software standpoint.

3 - Vehicle sat overnight so he could drive it cold. That did not fix the issue.

4 - He went back to Honda Corporate and they requested more snapshots. The tech could not see any judder issue within the second round of uploaded data.

5 - The issue was escalated to a Transmission Engineer at Honda this time. to review the already sent snapshots on 12/17/18

6 - Tech Line advised to replace the whole transmission assembly with a new transmission control unit as well

7 - They got the Transmission in on Wed. 12/19 and started to install it that day into Thurs. the 20th. After install, they performed a, neutral memorization. Service manager wanted to keep it overnight to test totally cold to make sure everything was ok.

8 - I picked it up today 12/21. All good!

I know how frustrating this is as well.I wanted to let you guys know what I went through to get this fixed correctly. Because I want to help all of you having this same issue. I really do hope Honda turns this into a recall of some sorts if enough people complain..

I hope this helps and good luck if you are still having this issue!
I have a 2019 and haven't noticed this. However this info could be helpful to others.

·
Registered
4 Posts
thanks. I'm going to have to battle with the dealership more because they say it's 'normal' jerkiness during deceleration when it's cold. I find that hard to believe. Your info was very helpful. thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
boy bummer on the tranny. i am in the market for a new car but these types of posts may me shy away from honda. seems like they never do anything until issue settles via class action suits. if their management was smarter they would address the issue, take the associated loss, and establish credibility as a company that stands behind their customers.

·
Registered
835 Posts
OK - this is what I have seen

During My Long Years with Many Different vehicles and Company's - I have seen where it's Not so much ( In this Case Transmission ) as it was the Oil ..
I Mentioned on another Post asking If they had - Changed the Trans Filter and Oil ?

I have seen where Oil from the 55 Gallon Barrels was Either Left Overs Bottom of the Huge Tank when it got Processed .
Or May have been Missed During Inventory ( Got Very Old ) - Either Way It was Contaminated or Went Bad do to ~ Contamination's .

I have had Rear Gear Oil and AWD Oil Smell Like ~ Swamp Piss !

Actually Turned ~ Bug Juice from Going Bad . . ( This Certainly would Effect New Trans ) -seeing all these Robots do most Work Now and

There are No Level Checkers Nor Spot for Inspection - One Can't Really Tell - Neither do the Final Inspectors . .Out the Door Down the Road ..

Sure it got Checked 1 Barrel out of 66 Barrels on Truck or 1-2 Oz out of 5000 Tanker that Dropped it at the Assembly Plant ..
I don't Know If they have ( Screens & Filters ) that get ~ Re-Filtered Any of Trans Oil -Just - Before Final Assembly .. ( Away to Eliminate ) Contamination Issues ..

Now I have Only seen this few Times in 25 Plus Yrs. , but Once is enough ..
Any Contamination - even Burrs Breaking Off in Valve Body what Honda Calls ~ Transmission Control Unit ~ Which does look to be more Complicated then

Std. Valve Body - has it's Own Wiring Harness and Sensors etc. ( Electrical Connections ) - which also Presents it's Own Issues ..

Sum Up Honda has Built approx 60K Accords 90K Odyssey's so around 150 Thousand Units - just here in the USA / / .05% would be 750 Trans with Issues ( Still High ) Quality . . :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Transmision..

The transmission on this car is completely sealed and comes filled with the fluid already. This is what the service manager told me where i took my car. Sounds odd to me but that is what he told me..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Same issue with my car. I have a 2018 Touring 2.0. Shift between the first three gears are rough. It’s now at dealership #2. Has spent 8 days in the shop and I have only owned it for three weeks. Call to Honda corporate has been worthless. They never answer the phone and have done very little to appease me. It’s absurd to be treated this way with a new car. Waiting on Honda tech to diagnose the issue and recommend a fix. Why can’t Honda recognize that this is a issue and fix it the right way?

·
Registered
3 Posts
After four visits to the dealer and numerous repeated tests, Honda has finally authorized the replacement of the transmission on my 2018 Accord with 2k miles. Will need to order. I will update once it’s completed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
After another three days in service the transmission has been replaced and I’m happy to say that this has solved the rough shifting issue I had on my 2018 Accord Touring 2.0. Bad batch of 10 speed transmissions? Not sure. But I would encourage others to do the same if they have they same issues with their transmissions.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts