2018 Honda Accord Forum banner

21 - 40 of 78 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,557 Posts
i got the error today in some ok weather (03/20/2019) this is the 2 time it failed for me.
should i take it to Dealership for repair? i only have 7500 miles on it and i am getting this.
I would suggest taking it to the dealer if at all possible before stopping/starting the vehicle (due to previous posts suggesting this resets/turns the light/warning off). The more this is reported/logged and hopefully when they hook up the scan equipment it will give them information that can be reported to Honda and a correction is found. If not possible to get it to them w/the light still on at least contact them, take it to the dealer to see if any codes are still existing, and have it documented of this occurrence.

Reactions: Dihawk

·
Registered
41 Posts
I used the lemon law on mine to no avail Honda won’t budge. The lawyer said it was a mechanical issue he could get it solved but since it was a electronics issue they mourn likely won’t do anything about it. I’m just stuck with the detective car, and Honda expects me to put up with it.

I do wonder if this was a Honda execs car what they would do. I’m sure they would not just accept having a defective car

·
Registered
41 Posts
Update on Honda's failure to fix my Accord's mitigation errors:

Fixed by me!!! Accord replaced by a Mazda CX-5!

We are relieved of the stress of owning a defective car that Honda did not care about.

They knew they could out-wait us. They were successful.

No more Hondas in my garage after owning 10.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've got a 2018 EXL 2.0T with 8600 miles on it. I've had this issue since it was new. Just made out third service visit today and no diagnosis. Been taking the picture and have pictures of 7 instances in the past 2k miles... and I don't use ACC very often my commute is 10 miles of backroads. Doesn't sound like anyone's had a successful fix on this. Guess it's a good thing I leased.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I would suggest taking it to the dealer if at all possible before stopping/starting the vehicle (due to previous posts suggesting this resets/turns the light/warning off). The more this is reported/logged and hopefully when they hook up the scan equipment it will give them information that can be reported to Honda and a correction is found. If not possible to get it to them w/the light still on at least contact them, take it to the dealer to see if any codes are still existing, and have it documented of this occurrence.
Thanks for the advice. I did take it to the dealer while the sign was on and Tech told me that Honda don't have a fix for it.

·
Super Moderator
1,557 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I did take it to the dealer while the sign was on and Tech told me that Honda don't have a fix for it.
You're welcome... at least now you have it documented... you may want to take it one step further and contact Honda Customer Service 800-999-1009 to start a complaint/claim with them. Good luck... this needs to be resolved for all those affected.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well I ended up taking to the dealership and we're able to pull a code. After 2 hours they told me nothing was wrong and that they did a 159 point inspection. Mechanic said that I was driving with 2 feet or resting my foot on the brake and "that's why the system was failing ". I told that I have never driven with my 2 feet and why I rest my feet on the brake when I'm on a highway? . I got little bit loud and told them that I will be back in a few minutes. Left the dealership drove 1 mile and guess what ?!!! The CMBS came back on ! . When back and the mechanic wanted to do like a ride along with the computer hook up to the car which we did and we were able to replicate the problem. It looks like the brake is somehow apply out of nowhere and that is what trigger the system to turn off. Left it overnight and they ended up changing the brake sensor. I have driven it for 200miles and no problem. KNOCK OF WOOD !!

·
Super Moderator
1,557 Posts
Well I ended up taking to the dealership and we're able to pull a code. After 2 hours they told me nothing was wrong and that they did a 159 point inspection. Mechanic said that I was driving with 2 feet or resting my foot on the brake and "that's why the system was failing ". I told that I have never driven with my 2 feet and why I rest my feet on the brake when I'm on a highway? . I got little bit loud and told them that I will be back in a few minutes. Left the dealership drove 1 mile and guess what ?!!! The CMBS came back on ! . When back and the mechanic wanted to do like a ride along with the computer hook up to the car which we did and we were able to replicate the problem. It looks like the brake is somehow apply out of nowhere and that is what trigger the system to turn off. Left it overnight and they ended up changing the brake sensor. I have driven it for 200miles and no problem. KNOCK OF WOOD !!
Hope this is indeed the fix for this issue... it baffles me that Honda doesn't have a way of putting some type of monitor on the car for issues like this that can do what the laptop did. This way an owner could have the system hooked up for several days w/it logging information, return to the dealer, let them download the data, discover the problem/issue, and correct it. IMO this would save the customer, dealerships/technicians, and Honda a lot of time/frustration.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have had this issue since I purchased my accord 2.0t touring in September 2018. It only happens when using ACC and since I didn't use ACC much when I first bought the car, it only happened about once a month. Now I use ACC frequently and the issue is much more prevalent. the first time they adjusted the brake switch per TSB. That made the issue MUCH worse. Second time, they replaced the switch. It went back to it's normal frequency but no fix. The third time, per a TSB, they replaced the switch with a new part number that Honda reengineered. it's not any better, but it's not any worse. All weather conditions are your generic run of the mill day (nothing abnormal). The dealer now has no idea what to do.

·
Registered
2 Posts
UPDATE!!!! Dealer held my car for a week doing testing on the camera and radar. That had no change in the results. Honda tech ended up sending to engineering. After capturing what was happening right before the fault codes were killing the collision Mitigation system, my car was identified for a software update in development for an unreleased TSB. They went ahead and put the software update in and it seems to have fixed the issue at this time. So for those with this issue, a fix is coming!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
After capturing what was happening right before the fault codes were killing the collision Mitigation system, my car was identified for a software update in development for an unreleased TSB. They went ahead and put the software update in and it seems to have fixed the issue at this time. So for those with this issue, a fix is coming!!
I have a new 2019 Sport 1.5T 6MT, less than a week old, and this issue (collision mitigation braking system malfunction warning) has happened twice in the first 500 miles on the odometer. As David mentioned, there is a new TSB - #19-051, it was actually officially released yesterday - that will hopefully fix this issue. I guess time will tell if the problem comes back or not.

Specifically, if:

- Collision Mitigation Braking System Malfunction warning is displayed.
- ACC shuts down.
- Both go back to normal after car is shut down and restarted.
- U0401-92 code is present when the warning is displayed (meaning you might have to drive it directly to a dealer, without shutting down, when the warning is displayed, for them to be able to pull the code)

then it sounds like this new TSB may help. It sounds like it only applies to a specific range of serial numbers / VINs, so I'm not sure if this TSB is the complete answer for everyone having this problem. But my car was in the VIN range, so I am crossing my fingers that this solves it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've been interested in buying a 10th gen Accord, but this has been a major concern for me. I sent an email to American Honda and all they came back with a generic response telling me to take my car to the dealership. I don't have a car and even told them that in my query, but they obviously didn't read it too closely. I than stopped buy a local Honda dealership and both the sales manager and the tech that they brought me to were adamant that there were no CMBS problems, even though I spoke with another tech several months ago at the same dealership that told me that they have a problem. I even sent them the latest TSB and didn't receive a response. I can understand that cars have problems, but when neither corporate or dealerships will admit to it or find a fix, I would never purchase another product from them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2018 Accord Touring 1.5L

I've had the Collision Mitgation Brake System Problem error multiple times, but it goes away when I restart the car.

Brought it to the dealer twice.

They first replaced the brake switch and that didn't fix the problem.

Brought it back and they applied the S/B 19-O51 and it seems to work.
It's a software update to fix this problem.

I also noticed something that wasn't there before. When using ACC, when the car stops, it now displays STOPPED under the Icon of the car. I don't think it did that before. Not a big thing, but something different.
Also, when the car in front starts moving, the icon of the car starts blinking and the car doesn't accelerate automatically. You must apply gas to get it going again. I'm pretty sure that's new too.

·
Super Moderator
1,557 Posts
I have a 2018 Accord Touring 1.5L

I've had the Collision Mitgation Brake System Problem error multiple times, but it goes away when I restart the car.

Brought it to the dealer twice.

They first replaced the brake switch and that didn't fix the problem.

Brought it back and they applied the S/B 19-O51 and it seems to work.
It's a software update to fix this problem.

I also noticed something that wasn't there before. When using ACC, when the car stops, it now displays STOPPED under the Icon of the car. I don't think it did that before. Not a big thing, but something different.
Also, when the car in front starts moving, the icon of the car starts blinking and the car doesn't accelerate automatically. You must apply gas to get it going again. I'm pretty sure that's new too.
That's normal... Just posted about it in another thread...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had this same issue since I bought the car. Have a 2018 Sport 2.0T 10at. Car has about 27,000 miles so I’m always on the road. Took car to dealer and they did the update on service bulletin S/B 19-051. At first they said they had to duplicate the problem. I called Honda customer service and told them I don’t have time to go out of my way when it happens and drive to the dealer because of my busy schedule. I took videos of it happening and me scrolling through the settings and clicking on the front radar and it saying setting incomplete. They told me it’s up to the service manager if they want to use that as proof then it’s fine that it’s at his discretion. Called the dealer and told him I need a favor what was going on what Honda had said and that I don’t wanna waste his time or my time. That the job pays 0.2 hours so it’s a 15-20 min upgrade. Why go through giving me a loaner and pay a tech to drive around until they can duplicate the problem for a warranty job that pays so little. He told me he agrees that just to show him the video. Made an appointment and I was in and out in less than an hour. Seems like it’s worked it’s been a couple weeks and no problems and I’ve actively been using the cruise control for everything to see if it happens. If anyone has this issue and don’t have time I would suggest trying this route. I would say try preferably where you bought the car and or do service you can use this as leverage lol

·
Registered
1 Posts
Now they have a fix

I have a 2018 accord sport 1.5t and had this problem ever since i bought the car. I brought it to dealer a few times before and they said no fix and cant find the problem. However, Honda released a service bulletin in may 2019 and released a software update to (Service Bulletin 19-051) fix this specific problem. I brought the car in today and the work was done in an hour. I haven't get the chance to test it on a long range. I will update you guys updated if I encounter the problem again. Hope this would help.

·
Registered
1 Posts
same problem

I was getting "collision mitigation braking system problem. see your dealer" every couple of days. Took to dealer in Costa Mesa, CA, and the ony thing they did was reset the system! Of course it came back the next day.
Then took it again and they reset it again. I told them this is unacceptable, and then they talked to Honda and adjusted the brake pedal. After one week the problem started again.

21 - 40 of 78 Posts