2018 Honda Accord Forum banner

41 - 60 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
same problem

I was getting "collision mitigation braking system problem. see your dealer" every couple of days. Took to dealer in Costa Mesa, CA, and the ony thing they did was reset the system! Of course it came back the next day.
Then took it again and they reset it again. I told them this is unacceptable, and then they talked to Honda and adjusted the brake pedal. After one week the problem started again.
Take it to dealer and have them check history and apply the tsb fix that came out in May this year. I did and it works

·
Registered
1 Posts
i too have been experiencing this shutdown of the collision avoidance system. for me it always happens on longer drives (200+ miles). it doesn't matter the weather or light conditions (day or night). like most of you, it goes away after shutting the engine off and restarting. major pain in the ass if you have a long way to go and you're forced to pull over and stop/re-start the engine. in any case, i just got off the phone with my local dealer and they tell me they've seen this problem and their solution is to re-boot the computer system. being i'm past the warranty mileage (yeah, i drive a lot), they wanted to charge me $150 so i opted to live with this for now. they told me that there's no harm in doing the stop/re-start thing...

·
Registered
46 Posts
I just turn the system off and it’s never a bother. (It only happened to me once )

I wish I could permanently disable the system. The blind spot monitoring is most important to me. The rest of the other crap LKA, etc is nonsense.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Just chiming in here. As a Honda tech who deals with many driver support system failures, there is multiple reasons why ACC, LKAS, LDW etc stop working. But with all failures there will be a dtc set in driver support systems. Most common failure I have seen is a bad multipurpose camera. That is the camera mounted at the rear view mirror on windshield. Those usually just have internal failures and is the brain of the whole system. Having windshields replaced and not performing static aiming can also cause problems. I’ve seen plenty mounted soo crooked the the bracket had to be removed and remounted. Another fault is the millimeter radar that is mounted in the center of your grill. Any obstruction will cause a fault. Certain license plate frames cause faults as well. There should be a warning on the plate holder that states that. Heavy dirt and debris as well. Someone bumping into your car can damage the clips that hold the radar steady and cause problems. Even if there’s no damage on the exterior. If you take off the radar surrounding cover and are able to wiggle the radar even slightly then it will cause problems. Hope everyone who had issues got them resolved. You shouldn’t have to turn off the system to be able to drive your car without any faults. (I myself turned off lane departure warning only cause I switch lanes without signal sometimes and the vibration gets annoying lol)

·
Registered
46 Posts
@NvousCustoms thanks for the post. There is a lot of technology in cars now. I work in the tech sector and even software applications that are seemingly simple have integration issues. However, Honda should make it easier to permanently turn this crap off. I’ll even sign a legal waiver as I am sure that’s their concern...

Other than that, I enjoy my 2019 HAH EX-L. I’ve only had it for one month, have 2K miles and it’s a great commuter car for the money.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2018 Accord EX-L hybrid - not a single issue w/it in the 15 months since I drove it new off the lot - until today...

While driving under normal weather conditions on back road @ about 50 mph, the CMBS light came on, which was followed by 5 other warning lights for ACC and other safety-related features tied to Honda Sensing. The car then automatically slowed down to about 20 mph for a few minutes with a full line of traffic behind me, then it resumed to normal speed again - all 6 warning lights still on.

I turned the car off then turned it on again - like everyone else here experienced, all was fine when I restarted the car - no warning lights - WTF, Honda?

·
Registered
46 Posts
We should start a database of people reporting this including build date, conditions, mileage, etc to see if there is a pattern...not counting on Honda to do that...

·
Registered
119 Posts
Honda only does that when you actually bring the car in and it’s documented. And as much as you think they probably don’t, they document and record every single failure. How do you think they put out recalls based off specific ranges of vins. But from a customer standpoint I understand the frustration. Trust me I dislike having to do warranty work on things that should of been caught in quality control.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Oh and one more thing, please be specific when bringing in your car for service in things like this. As technicians, we only see what the advisor puts down on the repair order. And go off that. Try to give details of the fault, and some customers have went as far as recording it with their cell phone. That has helped a ton when talking over with tech line and engineers about the complaint.

·
Registered
46 Posts
@pmcdevitt did you turn off CBMS prior to driving the car? I’ve been religiously doing that since I got the CBMS “problem see your dealer alert” come up on the dashboard and HondaLink app. Oddly enough the times I’ve forgotten to turn it off it has worked fine in the 2-3 instances when it did trigger a warning. Honda really needs to give owners the option to TURN THIS OFF...

·
Registered
4 Posts
@pmcdevitt did you turn off CBMS prior to driving the car? I’ve been religiously doing that since I got the CBMS “problem see your dealer alert” come up on the dashboard and HondaLink app. Oddly enough the times I’ve forgotten to turn it off it has worked fine in the 2-3 instances when it did trigger a warning. Honda really needs to give owners the option to TURN THIS OFF...

So I took my car into the dealer, who quickly determined the cause of this issue - my EZ Pass was mounted too close to the camera on the windshield and was partially obstructing it, thus causing it to send mixed signals and trigger several warning lights to come on.

So the fault was entirely my own :-0

·
Registered
46 Posts
@pmcdevitt i would still monitor the situation.

I’m not buying it’s an EZ pass issue. It happened to me without an EZPass.

I did subsequently add an EZPass and it’s well outside range of camera. Never got a warning but of course last night it came on.

This is a software/firmware issue in my mind...and Honda can’t figure it out yet..

·
Registered
4 Posts
So after the technician suggested I relocate the EZ Pass, I did so while with him - the light immediately turned off - hasn’t come back on since.

Will cross my fingers that he’s right - however, will of course closely monitor the situation after reading all the other posts on this same related issue.

Since when does one need to cross fingers for anything related to a Honda? Have driven several others into the ground with 200-300K miles on each - not one of them EVER had me doubting them for reliability, thus continuing to buy them. I’d expect this kind of discussion about a GM, Ford or Chrysler - not a Honda - very sad :-(

·
Registered
1 Posts
So after the technician suggested I relocate the EZ Pass, I did so while with him - the light immediately turned off - hasn’t come back on since.

Will cross my fingers that he’s right - however, will of course closely monitor the situation after reading all the other posts on this same related issue.

Since when does one need to cross fingers for anything related to a Honda? Have driven several others into the ground with 200-300K miles on each - not one of them EVER had me doubting them for reliability, thus continuing to buy them. I’d expect this kind of discussion about a GM, Ford or Chrysler - not a Honda - very sad :-(
Sounds like what the dealership here said, that the ez pass was to close. When I showed then the TSB they got upset \. Then said they couldn't do it cause it might blow the computer, even tho it said it applied to my car.

·
Registered
46 Posts
has anyone checked if the Civic and CR-V owners are having this issue too? Also do they use the same camera and sensor parts as the Accord?

·
Registered
119 Posts
All Hondas with lane assist and collision avoidance and adaptive cruise control have and windshield camera and radar in the bumper. They are not interchangeable. The multipurpose camera is the control module for all the driver support systems. So they are vehicle specific.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hope this is indeed the fix for this issue... it baffles me that Honda doesn't have a way of putting some type of monitor on the car for issues like this that can do what the laptop did. This way an owner could have the system hooked up for several days w/it logging information, return to the dealer, let them download the data, discover the problem/issue, and correct it. IMO this would save the customer, dealerships/technicians, and Honda a lot of time/frustration.
Getting the same issue on my 2019 Touring?? On mine, the center display popped up with "2 CBMS messages...". I couldn't read the rest because I was driving. Dont know where to find these messages - any help would be appreciated.

Most likely not related, my center dash display rebooted a couple mornings - radio shut off - black screen - then disclaimer message, followed by normal operation

I'm regretting not purchasing the extended warranty (which I didnt need for my Odyssey or my Civic)

·
Super Moderator
1,557 Posts
Getting the same issue on my 2019 Touring?? On mine, the center display popped up with "2 CBMS messages...". I couldn't read the rest because I was driving. Dont know where to find these messages - any help would be appreciated.

Most likely not related, my center dash display rebooted a couple mornings - radio shut off - black screen - then disclaimer message, followed by normal operation

I'm regretting not purchasing the extended warranty (which I didnt need for my Odyssey or my Civic)
Have you spoken w/your dealer or taken the car back to them? Not sure if there would be a code thrown and could be read by an OBD (On-Board Diagnostic) scanner. I've attached the only two warnings I found in the manual pertaining to CMBS issues maybe they will refresh your memory of what you saw.

Your infotainment center rebooting has been mentioned in threads on this forum but I'm not sure if the issues are related. I've had mine do it before but have never had a CMBS warning light come on.

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
I’ve had the warning come up for CMBS as listed in manual. Of course dealer say no code found...ummm...right. B.S. this is a software/firmware integration bug that Honda hasn’t figured out yet. Either in camera, or sensor or wherever.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I’ve had the warning come up for CMBS as listed in manual. Of course dealer say no code found...ummm...right. B.S. this is a software/firmware integration bug that Honda hasn’t figured out yet. Either in camera, or sensor or wherever.
Was it the standard warning that there was a CMBS event? In that case there are no dtc that sets for events. There will be however a event counter and shows last few events and mileage since last event. Only time there will be a dtc is if there is a fault in the system. Not saying the system is operating as intended, it could be activating at the wrong time in which most of the time it’s an alignment issue than a software issue. Radar aim is extremely critical when it comes to collision mitigation. It can sense a car far ahead in the left lane and not the vehicle in front of you and so forth. I would be persistent with the dealer. Might just be as simple as re aiming the radar.

41 - 60 of 78 Posts