2018 Honda Accord Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone has heard rumors of a SH-AWD system for the Accord as it was an option in previous generations. I certainly don't think it would hurt their sales in a segment that is seeing declining sales. I know front wheel drive is typically fine in the snow, with winter tires but AWD would most certainly be better.

·
Registered
83 Posts
It would be the best decision Honda has ever made on the consumer side and will up their sales. The only reason why Honda hasn't used the SH-AWD system is because of one big issue. Acura Sales. If Honda had AWD cars and Acura had AWD cars, the majority of the consumer will just buy the Honda because it will be cheaper than the luxury brand Acura and still perform as good. So seeing a Honda Sedan/Coupe with AWD will really hurt the Acura's TLX and RLX sales.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That actually makes a lot of sense, however its unfortunate for consumers. One would think that brand loyalty would play a bigger role and those who've traditionally only bought Acura would continue to do so, regardless of the cheaper alternatives. I think the problem stems from Acura having more premium features, but not really being a premium car. Besides AWD and dual clutch transmissions, they don't offer much more than what you could find in Honda equivalent.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I can see them going that route because this time around we have an Accord that people actually want compared to past generations. If sales keep up then we might see it happen during a mid production cycle refresh. If a hybrid SH-AWD comes to market that acts as a baby Acura RLX... I just might buy in.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I have a feeling the new Accord redesign will bring in a lot of buyers who weren't interested in the styling of previous generations. And as you've said with high sales numbers, comes more opportunity for different engine/drivetrain offerings. We know an SH-AWD Accord will sell, Acura just needs to up the ante with its luxury sedans, so they aren't in such direct competition with one another.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts