2018 Honda Accord Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

This is my first thread and was wondering if anyone else had this problem

I noticed like some sticky looking residue on my seat and then after a day it turns like chalky white.

one day i was cleaning my car with my friend and then we went to movies and this was on a sunday (Was cleaning it because i noticed some chalky stain and thought it was just debris) then monday morning on my way to work i get in my car and place my plastic bag which has my lunch and everything on the seat get out of my car go to work for 8 hours and then when i got in i noticed this shiny looking residue shown in the first picture

Similarly this past Friday I cleaned my car again and went out last night and at the end of the night i noticed the same looking residue on the back seat this time. shown in the second pic

The morning right after to go to work i noticed the stain turned into some chalkish looking stain shown in the third pic.

Anyone have any ideas???

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
821 Posts
What are you using to clean the seat?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have never really cleaned my seats before just vaccumed it and used a little windex or water even to rub off some small stains here and there. But never really touched up the seats as a whole.

·
Super Moderator
821 Posts
I use Armor All Leather Wipes on my seats w/o any issues. The windex you are using may contain ammonia and I would think that would be bad for the leather... if it doesn't leave a residue it possible could dry the leather out. If you don't want to use the wipes I mentioned get some product that is specific for leather care/treatment.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
will do but normally i don't really put any products on my seats. I simply just vaccume and try to keep my car as clean as possible.

That being said i don't think the leather being dry is causing that shiny stain which then turns into a chalky white stain

·
Registered
151 Posts
Is it possible that its some kind of tree sap? Whatever it is, I have no idea how exactly its getting on your seats. If you cant trace the cause it may be worthwhile to invest in some seat covers.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Sounds like you guys had a little too much fun before or after the movie and forgot to clean up the white stuff. Or, you dropped some of your dabs...

Just kidding.

I actually recall noticing something similar on my 16 V6 leather... I just cleaned with griots interior cleaner and didn't notice it again. Not sure what's causing the reoccurring issues if you aren't doing anything that could cause the seats to get dirty...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well the point of seat covers is to prevent your seats from getting damaged or dirty but if this is happening on its then the seat cover is pointless really lol.

I am thinking maybe it is the heat/moisture??? I live in Toronto and it does get pretty hot during summer time and when it sits in the sun for 8 hours it can go up higher then 50 Celcius (120F)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts