2018 Honda Accord Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2019 EX hybrid with the 180 watt system. There is a severe lack of bass. Has anyone replaced just the speakers and did it improve the bass?

Thanks

·
Read Only
0 Posts
I did a full system install only because the factory head unit doesn’t have enough power for you to get maximum output to the aftermarket speakers. If you want nice bass output you will need an amplifier to do that thus needing a LOc to run RCas to amplifier

·
Registered
242 Posts
One method you can try that will improve audio quality is to add sound deadening. Even if it isn't good enough you'll be better off come time to upgrade those speakers.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I used to upgrade the stereos in my new cars. Now, they have become more integrated with other systems, which makes it a pain to change without losing some other functionI like. Besides, I don't crank it so much anymore. Don't get me wrong, I still love my music, I just don't need to "feel" it as much.
Just looking for some suggestions to increase the bass a little bit without having tear things apart too much.

Thanks

·
Registered
151 Posts
I agree that a lack of power is the usual culprit with poor sounding factory systems. Either a new headunit or amplifier would noticeably improve the output of your stock speakers.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Yeah, I used to upgrade the stereos in my new cars. Now, they have become more integrated with other systems, which makes it a pain to change without losing some other functionI like. Besides, I don't crank it so much anymore. Don't get me wrong, I still love my music, I just don't need to "feel" it as much.
Just looking for some suggestions to increase the bass a little bit without having tear things apart too much.

Thanks
Hence my whole take on sound deadening which is easy for anyone to do.

All that might happen is some fear of removing the panels but at worse you'll break a few clips that won't cost more than $10 to replace an entire set.

·
Registered
2018 Hybrid Touring
28 Posts
I left the speakers alone and added a 10 inch JL sub and amp in the trunk. I had a local stereo shop do the install. The stereo actually sounds quite nice. I had to return to the sub shop and have them add dynamat to the underside of the rear deck shelf. It was vibrating like crazy. That further cleaned up the sound. The stereo plays with plenty of volume without distorting. I did lose some trunk space but it was definitely worthwhile.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yeah...I think an LOC with amp and small sub is the ticket.

·
Registered
8 Posts
What kind of bass are we looking for? It's really all subjective ear to ear. Personally, I love the audio in my Base Hybrid (160watt)
I swapped the lean factory speakers with Morel Maximo 6's front and rear. I used Dynamat in the doors and rear deck to tighten up the mounting surfaces and silicone speaker baffles to keep the Mid-Bass out of the door panels and focused into the cabin. Most importantly though, I used the secret menus in the Head-Unit to dump the factory EQ and Loudness sound curves to make things sound flat. The low end bass is much tighter and cleaner. Honestly, for my ear it's a pretty nice system. It's not going to win any awards but it sounds far better than before.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What kind of bass are we looking for? It's really all subjective ear to ear. Personally, I love the audio in my Base Hybrid (160watt)
I swapped the lean factory speakers with Morel Maximo 6's front and rear. I used Dynamat in the doors and rear deck to tighten up the mounting surfaces and silicone speaker baffles to keep the Mid-Bass out of the door panels and focused into the cabin. Most importantly though, I used the secret menus in the Head-Unit to dump the factory EQ and Loudness sound curves to make things sound flat. The low end bass is much tighter and cleaner. Honestly, for my ear it's a pretty nice system. It's not going to win any awards but it sounds far better than before.
I'm looking for just a bit lower end. It is probably just a matter of replacing the factory speakers, but I am intrigued by your comment about access the hidden menu and tweaking the EQ settings. Do you have instructions for this?

Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
The 7" model diagnostic menu is accessed with the car on and radio off. Press and hold Preset 1, Preset 6, and Volume/Power. From there you can jump to the following:
Preset 1: System
Preset 2: Audio (from here you can turn off EQ and Loudness)
Preset 3: Display
Preset 4: Camera
Preset 5: Connection
Preset 6: Vehicle Info

The menu back arrow (on the right side) helps if you need to go back menus.

Volume/Power ends the mode (or turn the car off).

It's not a powerful stereo, but with some efficient speakers it sounds quite lovely. A good set of efficient 6.5 coaxial speakers would do wonders. Maybe look at some Infinity Reference. They're known to be some of the most efficient speakers you can get for low power factory decks. I had Infinity Primus in my Subaru Forester and they had really nice low end power. Anyone who rode in that car always thought there was a small sub somewhere in the vehicle. Failrly sure that factory Subaru stereo was pushing 10-15 watts RMS, much like our LX radio.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the reply.
You wouldn't happen know the hack for the medium grade stereo (LX Model), would you? :) They have bass, mid and treble controls, but I think it needs some fine tuning as well.
I haven't been able to find it any place.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Apologies for the radio silence. Been on a little staycation. I don't have a lot of insights about your 8" unit, but I did stumble across this link from another conversation.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So, I replaced the front speakers with Infinity Reference (not the best, but decent), andI found it had less bass response than the factory speakers. I called Crutchfield tech support and they said that the factory speakers have thinner material for the cone and didn't require as much power to drive them, even though the ones I bought were pretty efficient.
I also noticed that the mounting adapters that Crutchfield supplied were about 1/2" shallower than the original speakers. I'm not sure how much of a difference that would make, but I found it interesting.
I am thinking about putting the Infinity speakers in my 2015 Accord and going back to the factory speakers in my 2019 EX. Any other suggestions? I just want a little more bass without dealing with a subwoofer and disconnecting the ANC system.
Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey there r0graham,

Sorry to hear you're hitting roadblocks with your audio project. It's a bummer that such a well functioning stereo has such little power for audio. Although you're right to not want to tinker with the car electrics at all, I do think you'll be a lot happier if you find a way to add some power to the system. Until recently I was satisified with my LX system with improved speakers, but on a recent highway road trip, I found the musicallity just disappeared against the road noise. In the end, my conclussion is that more amplification is needed to push the lower registers of the audio spectrum.

I'm working on a project to add an amplifer to my Hybrid LX and I'm going to post it soon. Here's what I'm looking at.

This amp - powers off the same 15 amp circuit of the radio. - https://www.crutchfield.com/p_158XMS400D/Sony-XMS400D.html?tp=72998&#customer-reviews-tab

This Wiring Harness. (no need to cut any factory wiring - just plug and play)

Regarding the ANC...I've already disconnected the ANC and I personally cannot tell the difference. Also, I did not have to tear apart the dash at all to disconnect it, making it much easier. Now I'll admit, this may not work well for larger hands, but all I had to do was disconnect the glove box, pull the side tabs in to drop it down, and then just reach behind the upper plastic lip to find the ANC harness. (look for the air filter cover, it's all just above this) From there, I just walked my fingers up the harness until I found the connector and I was easily able to push down on the plastic tab to release it and disconnect. I had to pull down on the plastic a little for clearance and there might have been some explitives, but it was much easier than pulling apart the dash. I'm testing it out for 2 weeks to see if my wife and I can tell. So far, nada.

Regarding the speaker adapter plates. The brand Crutchfield provides is perfect for the rear deck, but you're right...the front ones do have a big gap.

I added these silicon baffles front and rear to fill the gap and they are amazing. (picture below)

Feel free to reach out for qustions. We're all in this together!

So, I replaced the front speakers with Infinity Reference (not the best, but decent), andI found it had less bass response than the factory speakers. I called Crutchfield tech support and they said that the factory speakers have thinner material for the cone and didn't require as much power to drive them, even though the ones I bought were pretty efficient.
I also noticed that the mounting adapters that Crutchfield supplied were about 1/2" shallower than the original speakers. I'm not sure how much of a difference that would make, but I found it interesting.
I am thinking about putting the Infinity speakers in my 2015 Accord and going back to the factory speakers in my 2019 EX. Any other suggestions? I just want a little more bass without dealing with a subwoofer and disconnecting the ANC system.
Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I think I will try the baffles and disconnecting the ANC. And, if all this doesn't help, maybe add an amp.
Stay tuned! :)
Once again, Thank you for the feedback and sharing your experience.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts