2018 Honda Accord Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I’ve the the sport with the sport rims. Today I noticed a bunch of little scratches all over them. How the heck !? I’ve never had scratches on rims like this before on any previous cars. Why are these wheels so easily marked up. I’m not happy. Even though it’s not something you really can notice just looking at the car, until you are close up

·
Registered
318 Posts
This is the first I've heard about the stock rims being easily marked up. Perhaps most owners haven't noticed as of yet as you indicated its hard to see until you're up close? Might be working looking into some rim protection.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Think it's just the quality of wheels from Honda these days and scratches are easier to see on aluminium alloy wheels.
How bad is it? Would like to see a picture if possible.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Think it's just the quality of wheels from Honda these days and scratches are easier to see on aluminium alloy wheels.
How bad is it? Would like to see a picture if possible.
I’ll work on getting a pic. They are black and machined. Strange. Will upload pic as soon as I take them

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Excuse how filthy they look. I haven’t washed it in a week. Lots of rainy days.
I’ve never seen a rim have these many scratches in them. Not sure if it’s cause they’re black or what. Not happy !

Attachments

·
Registered
151 Posts
None of the scratches look very deep so you may be able to make them less noticeable with some buffing. Definitely think its just a result of the quality found in Honda's OEM rims. Don't know if you have any interest but I've plasti dipped my stock wheels in the past to protect them against this kind of damage.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OEM wheels are extremely vulnerable to damage since the rim edge is practically flush with tire sidewall. Be Careful!!!
Yikes. That sucks so bad. Ugh I know the feeling. They are really close !

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
None of the scratches look very deep so you may be able to make them less noticeable with some buffing. Definitely think its just a result of the quality found in Honda's OEM rims. Don't know if you have any interest but I've plasti dipped my stock wheels in the past to protect them against this kind of damage.
They’re just literally everywhere. Not happy with how easily they marked up. I did think about plasti dipping them. But Idk. Just wish they were more durable. Why are the alloys so much more resistant. 🤔 going to the dealer Tuesday to see what can be done to get rid of them. I have a feeling though they will just keep coming back.
There’s a detailing place by me that does this protective coating ... I forget what it’s called. I wonder if that would help on the rims 🤷‍♀️🏻 It’s frustratig though. I didn’t get this car to be a weekend car. I want to be out in it ! Lol

·
Registered
6 Posts
Does anyone know of GOOD Rim Protectors that fit the "2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T (19") rims"? I have less than 1,000 miles on the car and recently caught the curb on my rear rim while parking. I have attached a picture of the wheel/rim. I looked at the AlloyGators mentioned above, but they are quite expensive and I'm not sure if they would even fit on my rims (I just sent them an email asking if they would fit and am waiting for an answer.). I was thinking about trying to use a repair kit to make it look better, but if I could get a rim protector for the wheels, it would not only help protect any future mishaps but might even help cover the small scrape. Any information would help!

Thank you!

Sincerely, Kevin.

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Same here, KSlatt0327. Literally, with 200 miles on my car back in June, I was parallel parking and "tapped" the curve. Left quite a nasty gouge. I bought a cosmetic wheel care package when I took delivery on June 20th, so I'm hoping they can restore it to looking as close to new as possible. Subscribing to this to see if anyone has feedback as to what protectors to use. This is the first time in 17 vehicles over my life that I've had a car with such vulnerable and sensitive wheels! Good luck and drive safely!

·
Registered
318 Posts
These factory wheels due seem to be far more prone to damage than most cars. Don't think there have been any aftermarket protectors released yet, but you could always consider plasti dip in the meantime. I've found it take the majority of the damage when rubbing a curb, but you will have to resurface it afterwards.

·
Registered
30 Posts
It was about $170 with tax (Minneapolis) for a 7 inch arc of the rim that was, as the repair place told me, "lightly scuffed." He said that these wheels are very vulnerable and suggested putting a guard around them, similar to the one Juggleben mentioned above. He was going to ask around to see what the best fit for the Accord rims would be and I'll post again when/if he calls me back.

·
Registered
6 Posts
It was about $170 with tax (Minneapolis) for a 7 inch arc of the rim that was, as the repair place told me, "lightly scuffed." He said that these wheels are very vulnerable and suggested putting a guard around them, similar to the one Juggleben mentioned above. He was going to ask around to see what the best fit for the Accord rims would be and I'll post again when/if he calls me back.
The main issue that I see is that on the 2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T (19") rims there is a break between the "Spokes" (so to speak). The rim does not go a full 360 degrees around. I think that the rim guards might have a problem where the spaces occur (essentially the guards would have nothing to wrap around/hold on to where the spaces occur.). I found a few things on YouTube:

https://www.rimringz.com/

https://www.rimbladesusa.com/product/rimsavers/

The AlloyGator bands look very good but you have to have an authorized dealer install them. Also, if you get a flat or change the tires, you have to have an authorized dealer install them again!?!?! ($$$).

The Rimringz appear to be the next best thing. You can install them yourself, but they are made of plastic (I'm not sure of how much protection they would provide.). They look good, but you have to fully deflate your tires in order to install them.

The RimSavers are the easiest to install and look good. They are held on by the heavy-duty tape strip on the back of the guard. I have read some of the reviews on these and it seems that they tend to fly off of the car after only having them on for a short time.

Again, with the 2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T (19") rims might have a problem with all of these guards, due to the spaces in the "spokes".

·
Registered
6 Posts
Same here, KSlatt0327. Literally, with 200 miles on my car back in June, I was parallel parking and "tapped" the curve. Left quite a nasty gouge. I bought a cosmetic wheel care package when I took delivery on June 20th, so I'm hoping they can restore it to looking as close to new as possible. Subscribing to this to see if anyone has feedback as to what protectors to use. This is the first time in 17 vehicles over my life that I've had a car with such vulnerable and sensitive wheels! Good luck and drive safely!
Sorry to hear about your 200-mile mishap (I feel for ya!). I added a comment regarding a couple rim guards that I came across on YouTube. Check it out and see what you think.

·
Registered
6 Posts
These factory wheels due seem to be far more prone to damage than most cars. Don't think there have been any aftermarket protectors released yet, but you could always consider plasti dip in the meantime. I've found it take the majority of the damage when rubbing a curb, but you will have to resurface it afterwards.
You mentioned that if I use Plasti-dip or Auto-dip I would have to resurface it afterward. You mean re-spray the area that took the scrape with Plasti-dip or Auto-dip to repair the damage to the Plasti/Auto-dip? Also, you mentioned that it takes most of the damage. I have never used either product before. I understand it is like a rubber-based feel to it. Is that why it protects, because it has a flexible texture? Thank you! Kevin.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Yeah you would basically just have to clean cut the damaged material and then reapply a couple of coatings on the missing area. And yes depending on how thick you put it on, its basically a rubber coating on top of the rim. The cans aren't too expensive and they come in a whole bunch of different colors.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts