2018 Honda Accord Forum banner

21 - 40 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
What do you think the first step is to improving this crappy audio? Should I change all the stock speakers first? Or add a sub to the existing system? What would you do?

·
Registered
318 Posts
I'd try swapping some of the OEM speakers out first for sure. Aftermarket trunk speakers can make a huge difference in bass and treble levels. If you just throw a sub on to the existing system, you're only going to have more distortion at higher volumes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I love the car, can't say the same for the sound system. I even tested the EX-L with premium and truthfully it didn't sound much better.
I ended up getting the sport model as the car is for my son.

I am in talks with several installers as I type to see what I can add to make the sound better. Im no audiophile nor want to annoy people at the stop light with vibrating bass but I have to have some better sound:)

I got a quote from some place that wants to charge me $2600 for changing out all speakers/tweeters and adding a sub/box with 5 channel amp.

In my opinion that is overkill and more than I want to invest. My limit would be in the $1600 range (including installation).

For me that amount will be worth it as we usually keep cars around 10 years.

Keep you all informed.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Welcome to the forum! $2600 is definitely excessive. Maybe if you can find out the speaker sizes, you can order some cheaper ones yourself and pay them to install it for you?

·
Registered
318 Posts
I think you should shop around, because that's on the very high end of what you should have to spend. Did they mention what brands of speakers, sub and amp that this quote was for? I don't know if its necessary to swap out every speaker, ideally just the doors and trunk.

·
Registered
73 Posts
If you're not an audiophile who needs the best speakers out there, then there are a lot of affordable options. But we just need to figure out the speaker sizes and it's most likely listed in the service manual that I have no access to.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ok. Did some shopping around and got new front, rear, amp, and a 450watt powered sub installed for $1500. Sound is awesome!
If you guys want to add amp make sure you unplug the Active Noise Cancellation module which is located behind he glove compartment.
Initially there was an awful feedback coming through all the speakers and once they unplugged the ANC, there is no more feedback. As far as road noise, I can tell a very slight more road noise at lower speeds. No where enough noise that will make me go back to that awful factory system/sound.
Hope this post helps someone.
PS if you or your installer wants to turn off the ANC mics, don’t as they are located in the headliner and once the headliner is “messed with” they may not ever go back properly which can lead to wrinkles and or headliner falling down.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Well that's a much better price, glad that you're happy with the improvements. Good suggestion with the ANC system as I forgot that was a feature on the new Accord. We're you able to get everything wired up to the stock infotainment system?

·
Registered
8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
The "upgraded" 450 watt system in the Touring isn't much better. I've heard it and it's quite disappointing. Its like a cacophony of sound. Highs sound too scratchy, mids are non existent and lows are noticeably lacking. Before you get any decent bass out the system, you have to crank it to 90% volume and by that time, distortion becomes an issue. I wish Honda would just let the real pros like JBL, BOSE, Harman Kardon etc. handle their sound systems like 98% of automakers because this is terrible. I've been eying the 2018 Accord for a while now, went to a dealer to test drive it and all, but the ONE thing that keeps me away is the sound system. I don't want to drop 35k on a vehicle then spend another grand out of pocket upgrading the system (and possibly voiding my warranty).
If you're buying the Accord for it's sound system, you're buying it for the wrong reasons. The ride is fun, it's an amazing car and to spend the extra $1000 on a system that sounds awesome in a car that drives and performs awesome, I would do that any day of the week!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Definitely not buying an Accord for its sound, but I haven't had to upgrade a car's sound system since maybe 2008? I buy all my cars in the top trim, and for the most part, I'm always satisfied. Is it too much to ask in 2018 that the top dollar/ highest spec car have a good sounding car stereo? If I'm going to drop $1500-$2000 into the sound system (and possibly void my warranty in the process), I might as well not buy the Touring. But then I lose all the other stuff I want like cooled seats, HUD, Navi, etc.

There was once a time when you had to modify everything to get what you want (engine, sound system, rims etc). Nowadays, car companies have gotten so good and in-tune with the customer, I hardy have to do anything now (becides maybe tinting the windows). I guess I've been spoiled ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ .

·
Registered
318 Posts
I think if Honda had opted to keep the coupe variant of the Accord, that we'd see a much better stock sound system included there. I think they figured that most people interested in the Accord wouldn't be buying it for the speakers. Don't think there are any warranty concerns associated with an aftermarket sound system though, but I agree that we shouldn't have to shell out additional money for it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well that's a much better price, glad that you're happy with the improvements. Good suggestion with the ANC system as I forgot that was a feature on the new Accord. We're you able to get everything wired up to the stock infotainment system?
I wired everything up just fine with a new amp and sub. No need to touch the ANC module.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The 2018 Accord Touring 450 W Premium sound system has got to be the worst sound system I've heard to date in an upscale car. Its awful and disappointing.
Welcome to the club buddy. I wonder how many complaints it will take from customers before Honda finally stops being cheap and allows a REAL sound company to do their sound. I wouldn't mind paying $500-$1000 more for the car if they offered a premium BOSE system. It doesn't even have to be B&O or Bowers and Wilkins. Good ol' fashioned BOSE will do.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Some people I know have sort of resolved audio issues in past cars that came with mediocre systems by installing sound insulation. Not a length we should have to go to but if the rest of the car checks out against other models you like, it might be worth spending the extra bucks. Might even make for a fun weekend project.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does anybody has upgraded the speakers on the 2.0t sport? i am planning to put JL Audio C2-650X , but i don't know if i have to go with the components at front with a amplifier or just coaxial, i think with the JL audio without components i should be ok i just want an opinion..
thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
What are you guys using for a source? I play .mp3/FLAC files via Android Auto/USB. I think in this scenario the DAC from the Honda is doing the decoding? On the fader I moved it - 2 since it was front speaker heavy. Mid, +1, treble -2, bass -4, subwoofer +3. Tried the neural setting, but it added what I thought was an "artificial" effect to some songs. Obviously it's nit as good as a home setup, but it's tolerable, at least enough so that I don't feel a need to spend $2000.00 to upgrade the sound system.

I would play with the settings a bit of you're looking for a more balanced sound before spending vacation money for an upgrade.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I agree, the sound system on my 2018 acccord sport sucks, lacks on bass but i love the android play/apple car play tablet as the headunit.

I been contemplating on putting 2 sets of components speakers with a 4 channel amp, but the car itself is too new to find specific speakers adapters and info.

If anyone have any info on size or any other important stuff would be great if you guys could share.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Does anybody has upgraded the speakers on the 2.0t sport? i am planning to put JL Audio C2-650X , but i don't know if i have to go with the components at front with a amplifier or just coaxial, i think with the JL audio without components i should be ok i just want an opinion..
thanks
Whatever you decide to do, an amp will be critical in getting the most out of your replacement speakers. Even if you were to stick with a simple coax speaker set, that won't change the amount of power pushed to them and you will not be satisfied.

For sure, everyone has their preference on car audio, so this is my $0.02... I'm a fan of JL and have been for almost 20 years. I still am, although I'm out of the car audio game now. I agree the stereo in the Sport 2.0T isn't great, but super high quality just isn't a priority for me anymore. Still, as a matter of fact, a fairly simple system I installed back in 2003 in my old '99 AV6 Coupe had the equivalent of today's JL Audio. I know the kid who now owns that car and the stereo still sounds great. Good stuff lasts a long time :wink:
- XR-650csi (today: C5-650) in the front with tweeters custom installed in the upper panel of the driver and passenger doors,
- TR-525cxi (today: CS-525X) in the rear deck, factory replacement without customization (plug ang play)
- Slash V2 Series Amp 500/5 (today: HD900/5, much more powerful and efficient version of what I had) - pushed 100W RMS to each of the components in the front, 25W RMS to each rear speaker and 250W RMS to the single 12wV3

If you're not going down the subwoofer path, may I suggest a quality set of components front and rear with a high quality amp (JL Audio HD600/4 or the less expensive/powerful, still potent 300/4v3) to supply the power.

If I keep going like this, I may end up talking myself into making sound a priority again! And my wife would not be happy.

21 - 40 of 89 Posts