2018 Honda Accord Forum banner

61 - 80 of 89 Posts

Registered
Again, I can confirm that you need to tap the fronts for a full signal and not the rears. However, if you have a factory sub, I recommend disconnecting the sub and either A) tapping the sub wires for you LOC or B) get a socket connector for the factory sub harness so everything is plug and play to run to your LOC.

In regards to where I tapped the front speaker. You can tap it anywhere the speaker wire is. The speaker wire doesn't care where you tap it 馃檪

I personally tapped mine at the front speaker behind the door panel with my LOC wire running through the weatherstripping and into the cabin. Good luck getting the wire through that weatherstripping, it was a royal pain in the dick.

Feel free to ask any other questions, just please read the previous posts FIRST.

-Kyle

Registered
Would a simple upgrade to the existing speakers work? I mean replacing the some of the lesser speakers with more quality speakers? I have a 2.0t sport. I actually haven't looked at where the speakers are.. except I know there are 2 rear speakers that can be accessed by the trunk. Maybe a list or a diagram of all of the speakers and ratings and their location would serve well to future modders. Anyway, could i just swap out the rear "deck" speakers with nicer ones for better sound? I understand that the stock "amp" is lacking, but in my Subaru, a simple A pillar tweeter swap made a huge difference!

Registered
I'm not sure if I plan to replace them all yet or not. I definitely am going to get an under the seat system first because from what I've read they add depth and a little bass but wont rattle you or the car. That's all I'm really looking for honestly. I've never been a bass head but a good mixture of high and low is the key to great sound as everyone knows and this base Accord system just doesn't have good mid and low level sound. It will take a few weeks to read reviews, product specs, quality and feature info and everything else but when I decide I will leave feedback and pictures to what I decided on and the results.

FYI? The Touring system is disappointing too. That stupid speaker behind the info screen drowns out what little dynamics the darn system has!!! :sad:

Registered
Would a simple upgrade to the existing speakers work? I mean replacing the some of the lesser speakers with more quality speakers? I have a 2.0t sport. I actually haven't looked at where the speakers are.. except I know there are 2 rear speakers that can be accessed by the trunk. Maybe a list or a diagram of all of the speakers and ratings and their location would serve well to future modders. Anyway, could i just swap out the rear "deck" speakers with nicer ones for better sound? I understand that the stock "amp" is lacking, but in my Subaru, a simple A pillar tweeter swap made a huge difference!
You can find aftermarket speakers for relatively cheap that should increase the sound quality. Purchase the proper connectors so everything is plug and play and you should have an easy to install and better sounding sound stage. To note, there is no factory "amp" in the Sport model. The speakers are driven by the power supplied by the HU. If you prefer an OEM upgrade, the Touring speakers are cheap, plug and play, but were designed to be used with the additional power supplied by the relevant models amp so be cognizant of that.

Registered
So...I picked up a subwoofer a couple weeks back and hope to get it installed this weekend using the factory connections. It does look like some chassis modifications are necessary to fit a standard 8" in there. Good thing I used to do custom sound installs, huh? :p

Hopefully I can capture some photographs for ya'll while I do the upgrade and let you know if it is worth it, but I have a strong feeling I'll be back and say, holy ****!

Registered
Now run your LOC to the front speaker(s) and notice the difference in sound quality/bass output. I tested both front and rear channels (obviously rear because of how much easier it is than going to the front) and the results were drastically different. The rear channels just don't get the same lows, as others have also mentioned, as the front channels do. It's preferred to tap both L/R channels, but I didn't want to tap into the main harness itself, or run a tap to each side of the car (maybe in the future). This is the same technique I used on my 16, and have had nothing short of positive results.
What are the colors i should be connecting too on the front speaker? i just purchased a 2018 accord. havn't found any info on it yet. Only the deck speakers.

Registered
Hey everyone, first post. Been lurking for a while and this thread caught my attention. I've dealt with car audio for many years so the first thing I do with every car is build a system starting with the subwoofer. That being said, I found this thread handy so thanks for all the pointers. I tapped into the front speakers as suggested and I'm definitely getting a full range of sound. I was told that the sport 1.5 gets full range at all speakers and that I could've tapped into the rear speakers for convenience. I just didn't believe that though because if you fade the speakers to the back, the rear speakers audibly sound like they lack a lot of range so I trusted my instinct and went with the front to be on the safe side. I tapped mine at the kick panels and it was extremely easy. No worries about feeding wire though the door. Also, I paid for access the to wiring diagram and it shows the wiring split in the door for the tweets. I didn't want to chance tapping into the wrong set and not get a full range signal, so I tapped before it even reaches the door. Furthermore, the wires are basically labled for you at this location. The two wires that are the speaker wires are twisted once you pull back the loom so they are easily identifiable. I'll post pictures if my account allows me already. I used an lc2i. I have the sport 1.5 with the 8 speaker system and the lc2i was perfect for the application. I ran it's own constant 12v and ground from the battery and it performs flawlessly with the accubass threshold control all the way to right and all other knobs at default center. It's 8v signal is enough for my Alpine gain to be right at nominal (set with multimeter). Sound is crisp
and punchy with my sealed box. I'm open to any questions. I do stay busy though so I'll respond asap.

Attachments

Registered
Audio Levels

I have read anecdotal reports that the levels of the front and rear speakers are different, but that doesn't make sense to me. Can someone explain why Honda would do that when they use the same speaker/tweeter combination in the rear deck and front doors? Does anyone have any real test results that shows a difference? Since the audio quality appears to have been a complete after thought by Honda, I can't see them wasting time trying to fool around with it that much, especially since they are using the same speaker/tweeter combo front and rear. Seems like the sound difference is due to air space that the front speakers have in the doors vs what the rear speakers have since they are open to the entire trunk.

Registered
I have read anecdotal reports that the levels of the front and rear speakers are different, but that doesn't make sense to me. Can someone explain why Honda would do that when they use the same speaker/tweeter combination in the rear deck and front doors? Does anyone have any real test results that shows a difference? Since the audio quality appears to have been a complete after thought by Honda, I can't see them wasting time trying to fool around with it that much, especially since they are using the same speaker/tweeter combo front and rear. Seems like the sound difference is due to air space that the front speakers have in the doors vs what the rear speakers have since they are open to the entire trunk.

Went through the same thought process as you especially since I didn't want my door chimes going to my amp and also it's much easier to install the LOC in the back, but you do have to remember that the rear speakers are what are used to compensate for road noise by the ANC. So that being said, there's a multitude of reasons why those speakers could be crossed over at a certain frequency. It's definitely not without reason if so.

Registered
2018 lx owner here, not trying to go crazy with the audio but the rear deck speakers sound almost non existent in this trim. Would it be a waste of time to just switch those out alone to a better 6 3/4鈥 set of speakers or would it make a difference? I鈥檝e heard and read different opinions on it some saying it won鈥檛 change because of the lack of an amp but others say you can actually hear them after switching out and that they鈥檒l have a little bass to them too. Thank you

Registered
Hi does upgrading the speakers void the warranty? The speakers sound so shallow, will need to replace all the speakers , add an amp and sub on my EX-L. :(

Winn

Registered
also, for anyone with the ANC disabled.. can you run a bass frequency sweep from 1000Hz to 10Hz (youtube) and see if it is still silent between 50 to 60Hz... to describe what I mean; when frequencies are playing from 100Hz down.. you will hear a beep noise and slow it becomes rumbling (like bass), as you get between 60Hz to 50Hz it becomes silent and then from 50Hz to 40Hz you hear bass again. I believe Honda is using the 50Hz frequency to reduce cabin noise. So with ANC disabled, do you hear bass betwen 60Hz to 50Hz or does is go silent?

Registered
I want to thank all those who contributed to this thread. I was struggling liking my 2018 Accord Touring because of the harshness of the audio. It was really just awful.. harsh, lacked depth, and bass was a mess. I originally was just going to remove sub, disconnect ANC, and replace with an 8" Hertz 200.3. After reading more, I think the sound processing in the car is the real issue. After changing everything, I couldn't be happier.

I have Focal ISS 165's in both the rear deck and front doors, Hertz 200.3 8" sub with built-in amp (removed the 8" rear deck sub), and an Audison AP4.9 bit installed under center console for sound processing and amplification. The look is nearly stock except for small sub in trunk. I still get sub control on stock interface and the overall sound is terrific. I had no intentions whatsoever of doing this when I bough the the car. However, I really hated driving the car because the more I listened and read about the issues with the stereo, the more I despised the sound of this thing. Obviously, it sounds much better and I am happy with it, but I am a little bummed I had to spend the money to get here. I also plan to get the rear deck and doors sound deadened.

After removal of ANC, I noticed a small difference and I actually like it better. It sounds like a car and the gains in lowering road noise were completely offset by the issues caused. The ANC caused the artificial engine noise and, in my opinion, caused real acoustic problems in this car. This leads me to straight anger at Honda. I am convinced Honda would sell the same exact amount of Honda Accords without this feature as they would with it. I would 1000% prefer this car to tell me when washer fluid was low and have a reservoir that would hold a full gallon of washer fluid than the terrible ANC module. End rant!

Again thanks to those who contributed to this thread and helped my make this Accord much more enjoyable!

Registered
2018 lx owner here, not trying to go crazy with the audio but the rear deck speakers sound almost non existent in this trim. Would it be a waste of time to just switch those out alone to a better 6 3/4鈥 set of speakers or would it make a difference? I鈥檝e heard and read different opinions on it some saying it won鈥檛 change because of the lack of an amp but others say you can actually hear them after switching out and that they鈥檒l have a little bass to them too. Thank you
Hey there! Just learned an extremely helpful trick for those with the 7" Display Radio for getting more out of the stereo. There's a secret menu option that will give you full range of the rear speakers. To access the secret menu on the stereo you'll need to start by turning the stereo off by pressing the power button. Then press and hold preset 1 and preset 6 at the same time as you press the power button. YOu should see a secret menu that has an option for Audio. (it's the second option down). From there you can choose to remove loudness and EQ dramatically improving the sound quality of the rear speakers. Made a big difference in my Hybrid LX. Enjoy!

Registered
Just wanted to add a few things.

First, if you want high quality subwoofer audio without buying a box and taking up a bunch of space and buying a separate amp to drive it, the Infinity Basslink is a terrific option. Great sound, built in amp, low profile. I have mine tucked into the back left corner of the trunk and I don't even notice it's there.

No need to really replace the back speakers unless you play a lot of music with people in the back, which I don't.

As was said, Pioneer makes some nice speakers for the money but I'm a bit of a car audio snob and just love the sound of Focal. So I replaced my fronts and mids with these and they sound amazing, almost indistinguishable from the Focals that cost more than a grand a pair.

I tried running them off the head unit without an amp but they didn't sing like I wanted them to, so installed this amp to drive them and now it sounds amazing.

If I want to play some rock and roll, the system has amazing punch and depth. Right now I'm listening to some jazz in hi-res on Qobuz and it's just sparkling.

Registered
Welcome to the club buddy. I wonder how many complaints it will take from customers before Honda finally stops being cheap and allows a REAL sound company to do their sound. I wouldn't mind paying $500-$1000 more for the car if they offered a premium BOSE system. It doesn't even have to be B&O or Bowers and Wilkins. Good ol' fashioned BOSE will do.
I concur, even a base Nissan Altima sound system pounds harder than the so-called "premium audio".

Registered
Provided you have a powerful enough amp, there shouldn't be any electrical strain on the rest of the vehicle. But when it comes to hybrids I know there are a lot more restrictions in terms of the warranty. I've heard that even getting the car oil sprayed can void the powertrain warranty. Seeing as how the sound system has been a complaint by most owners, hopefully Honda makes improvements to upcoming models.

61 - 80 of 89 Posts