2018 Honda Accord Forum banner

81 - 89 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
So many questions because most people don't do their research. To get good audio in a car the whole system, except the Honda radio needs to be replaced. It is plenty good enough.
This is what I did. Many years of playing with car audio. Front components, JBL GTI 670s. Sound deadened. Sub. 10 in. JL in a sealed box bolted to the rear deck to replace the 8 in. wimp honda supplies. Sound deadened the rear deck. Had to cut the rear deck to fit the 10 in. JL. Kenwood Exelon 5 channel amp bridged for the fronts at 150 Watts. Sub 300 amps all RMS. Audio Control DM 608 DSP. No rear speakers hooked up. Disconnect the ANC box. Sounds marvelous. Maybe over budget for most people though. A system needs to be matched. My experiences has taught me that only the best will do or one will be dissatisfied. I don't believe in half stepping. 67 years has taught me that.
W.P.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey All,

Just read every post under this thread and have a couple questions. I will start off by saying I'm not very knowledgeable in regards to car audio but do know enough to be able to say my 2019 2.0T Touring needs more bass.

I went to a local shop to ask them for suggestions on how to improve the sound system and they first suggested getting a boxed sub with an additional amplifier and bypass the stock sub. I personally don't want to lose all that room in my trunk for a massive boxed sub so I found a powered sub by infinity (see the link below). Its a little pricey, but had a similar older model in my old Integra that worked just fine.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_108BASSLDC/Infinity-BassLink-DC.html

My questions are this:
  1. Do you all think a good place to start would be to add a sub/amp combo to get more bass in the car? I'm not looking to rattle the bolts off the car but do want alitte extra low end.
  2. Do you think the 200-watt amp 10" sub in the link above would be a solid choice? If not, do you have any other suggestions that would provide the same benefit without taking up tons of space in the trunk?
  3. Assuming I did go with this option, do you think I would need to worry about disconnecting the ANC? I read here that some people have and some have not.
  4. If later on down the road I decide I want to upgrade some other speakers in the vehicle, would I then need to purchase an additional amp or could I use the stock amp in the car?
Any guidance or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
My post is the one above yours. Reread it. A sound system needs to be balanced. One upgrade of one part shows the weaknesses of the other components. A sub in a box in the trunk is horrible as most of the bass goes out in to the wild blue yonder. Honda uses a weakly tuned sub so as to not trip up the ANC and work with the small amp and the rear speakers are mid bass drivers to supplement the sub. The combo doesn't play very low so as not to interfere with the ANC due to feedback. The sub needs to fire into the cabin not the outside world which is why Honda has it installed into the rear deck. I know you want a simple answer but is that what you want or do or do you want good sound? The key is to find a good and knowledgeable installer. Wattage matching speakers to an amp is important because that is what it takes to drive the speakers, not audio quality. It takes a while to understand a complete audio system and what you read on the net can be iffy. Also sales company's are only interested in selling one stuff. Nothing replaces knowledge and experience. I don't know if I am helping you or confusing you. A good sound system is balanced, plays the whole human hearing frequency range and EQed to flat. The goal is to reproduce the recording as accurately as possible and not localize any speaker.
W.P.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My post is the one above yours. Reread it. A sound system needs to be balanced. One upgrade of one part shows the weaknesses of the other components. A sub in a box in the trunk is horrible as most of the bass goes out in to the wild blue yonder. Honda uses a weakly tuned sub so as to not trip up the ANC and work with the small amp and the rear speakers are mid bass drivers to supplement the sub. The combo doesn't play very low so as not to interfere with the ANC due to feedback. The sub needs to fire into the cabin not the outside world which is why Honda has it installed into the rear deck. I know you want a simple answer but is that what you want or do or do you want good sound? The key is to find a good and knowledgeable installer. Wattage matching speakers to an amp is important because that is what it takes to drive the speakers, not audio quality. It takes a while to understand a complete audio system and what you read on the net can be iffy. Also sales company's are only interested in selling one stuff. Nothing replaces knowledge and experience. I don't know if I am helping you or confusing you. A good sound system is balanced, plays the whole human hearing frequency range and EQed to flat. The goal is to reproduce the recording as accurately as possible and not localize any speaker.
W.P.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The "upgraded" 450 watt system in the Touring isn't much better. I've heard it and it's quite disappointing. Its like a cacophony of sound. Highs sound too scratchy, mids are non existent and lows are noticeably lacking. Before you get any decent bass out the system, you have to crank it to 90% volume and by that time, distortion becomes an issue. I wish Honda would just let the real pros like JBL, BOSE, Harman Kardon etc. handle their sound systems like 98% of automakers because this is terrible. I've been eying the 2018 Accord for a while now, went to a dealer to test drive it and all, but the ONE thing that keeps me away is the sound system. I don't want to drop 35k on a vehicle then spend another grand out of pocket upgrading the system (and possibly voiding my warranty).
I totally agree! I have a 2018 EX-L 2.0T and the 450W ‘premium’ sound system lacks good bass and in general is mediocre at best. I love the car but hate the sound system. I rented a 2019 Altima SL and the Bose system in the car was awesome!
If Honda doesn’t offer a Bose or another name brand audio system in 2021 I will be leasing another brand. Even the 2020 Hyundai Sonata and the new 2021 Kia Optimal offers Bose systems in their high end models from what I’ve read. Ditto for the Mazda 6 and Altima.
I was thinking of adding a flat 8” powered subwoofer under the passenger seat but the Accord has underseat heater vents that will impede the installation. I also don’t want to spend too much cash since it’s a leased vehicle.

·
Registered
40 Posts
How is the ANC disconnected and still maintain the blueteeth microphones for hands free mode?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Personally, I don’t care about how my stereo sounds versus how my looks. So after I mod out everything that is on my list and if I get bored then I may do the stereo if I still have the car but I doubt it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
One or two wires to tbe ANC must be connected for theadliner mics.

Even the LX rear deck has all the premium speaker recesses for tweeters and center sub.

Infotainment has an approx 3” speaker spot, too. A lot of work for little gain.

Door
LX Door tweeters can be added.
Tweeter Garnish 76221-TVA-A11ZA
Tweeter Garnish 76271-TVA-A11ZA

Lots of possibilities when you are willing to upgrade the amp and spend some time hiding iit all.

FiveStarCarStereo on youtube does a nice series on a 2019 Accord.

81 - 89 of 89 Posts