2018 Honda Accord Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I watched a youtube video lately where the host urged us to use 5-20 w synthetic oil instead of OEM recommended 0-20. His heart was in the right place; he felt it would delay or prevent carbon buildup on the valves for the DIG models.

I was reading the manual yesterday (always a dangerous thing to do) and noted that the turbocharger turns at 100,000 rpm, gets to an operating temperature of 1300 degrees F. The sole coolant for the turbo is the engine oil.

It would seem to me that a thicker oil like 5-20 would be a bad idea under these conditions. With the engine oil as sole coolant one would want it to flow back to the engine as rapidly as possible, 5 is a bit thicker and hence a bit slower than 0. The turbo's longevity (and the engine's too) depend on controlling heat. So the 0 weight component of the 0-20 synthetic might actually be the more important of the two.

Greg N

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
DGI, not DIG....

·
Administrator
2,552 Posts
I watched a youtube video lately where the host urged us to use 5-20 w synthetic oil instead of OEM recommended 0-20. His heart was in the right place; he felt it would delay or prevent carbon buildup on the valves for the DIG models.

I was reading the manual yesterday (always a dangerous thing to do) and noted that the turbocharger turns at 100,000 rpm, gets to an operating temperature of 1300 degrees F. The sole coolant for the turbo is the engine oil.

It would seem to me that a thicker oil like 5-20 would be a bad idea under these conditions. With the engine oil as sole coolant one would want it to flow back to the engine as rapidly as possible, 5 is a bit thicker and hence a bit slower than 0. The turbo's longevity (and the engine's too) depend on controlling heat. So the 0 weight component of the 0-20 synthetic might actually be the more important of the two.

Greg N
I think you've answered your own question :wink: BTW... reading the manual isn't a bad thing... I've read all of mine. :grin:

·
Registered
99 Posts
I think you've answered your own question :wink: BTW... reading the manual isn't a bad thing... I've read all of mine. :grin:
Exactly! That's why it was printed. I want to know about my car. It's fun to drive, and I only have a 1.5. Knowledge is power!

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
I don't read every page but I read the manual and keep it handy for future reference. There are usually things to learn that prove valuable.

·
Registered
43 Posts
That is simply NOT THE TRUTH!!!
Modern synthetic oils, because of their additives, cover the highest to lowest operating temps. So don't worry about the high RPM and operating temps of turbo engines. Worry about changing the oil on time and making sure the level is always between the 2 lines on the dipstick.
And NEVER change from the viscosity(0W-20)recommended by Honda. This viscosity was selected for fuel economy yes, but more importantly to match the tolerances built into the engine. This has been researched over and over again by Honda lubrication engineers.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would assume everyone knows this but you can get the manual in pdf free on the internet. The pdf certainly makes it easier to search through the 600 or 700 pages.

·
Administrator
2,552 Posts
I would assume everyone knows this but you can get the manual in pdf free on the internet. The pdf certainly makes it easier to search through the 600 or 700 pages.
Yep... have them downloaded to my Dropbox... also the original owner can request printed manuals within in the first six months of ownership. There's value in having both.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts