2018 Honda Accord Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am the owner of a new Honda Accord EXL Hybrid 2019 as of 4 weeks ago! I absolutely love my car. I bought it in black on black.

I had to make a really long drive down to Florida and ended up with so many bugs splattered on my car. RIP lil bugs.

I took my car to a hand washing place today, they cleaned it up nicely but there are like 3-4 spots that I believe are from the bugs that they said were very stubborn and couldn't remove it. They just called it a paint defect. It wasn't there before my drive though. I am really upset because if they couldn't get it out (and they had a special bug removal spray and removed most of the bugs), who can?

Any advice?

·
Administrator
2,552 Posts
Sounds like you may have run into "love bugs"... have heard of them but have no experience w/getting them off a vehicle... you may want to take a look at some of these suggestions found w/a google search - how to remove love bugs from car.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I am the owner of a new Honda Accord EXL Hybrid 2019 as of 4 weeks ago! I absolutely love my car. I bought it in black on black.

I had to make a really long drive down to Florida and ended up with so many bugs splattered on my car. RIP lil bugs.

I took my car to a hand washing place today, they cleaned it up nicely but there are like 3-4 spots that I believe are from the bugs that they said were very stubborn and couldn't remove it. They just called it a paint defect. It wasn't there before my drive though. I am really upset because if they couldn't get it out (and they had a special bug removal spray and removed most of the bugs), who can?

Any advice?
The best thing to use is a sponge that has the woven material on the outside. Like a kitchen sponge, or I have an actual car sponge that has this material on the back side. Just scrub with that and heavy soap. If that doesn't do it, then maybe clay would help. The paint on these cars is not the greatest... I just did a ceramic coat on mine.

I found a link to one at auto zone but I have never used this product. https://www.autozone.com/wash-mitts...eeges/proelite-ultimate-bug-sponge/936941_0_0

·
Registered
64 Posts
The best thing to use is a sponge that has the woven material on the outside. Like a kitchen sponge, or I have an actual car sponge that has this material on the back side. Just scrub with that and heavy soap. If that doesn't do it, then maybe clay would help. The paint on these cars is not the greatest... I just did a ceramic coat on mine.

I found a link to one at auto zone but I have never used this product. https://www.autozone.com/wash-mitts...eeges/proelite-ultimate-bug-sponge/936941_0_0

This will scratch the paint. Don't scrub. Buy a bottle of bugs remover, or tar remover.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for your replies! I tried these things and it won't come off. I'm kind of small so I had a hard time getting an up close look but now that I got a clear look, I think the paint is damaged or maybe it was a defect I didn't notice. I have no clue because I didn't see it before. Could lovebugs have caused this damage in just a few days? it's killing me since it's a brand new car !
ink the paint got damaged somehow. Here's the photo:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Thank you all for your replies! I tried these things and it won't come off. I'm kind of small so I had a hard time getting an up close look but now that I got a clear look, I think the paint is damaged or maybe it was a defect I didn't notice. I have no clue because I didn't see it before. Could lovebugs have caused this damage in just a few days? it's killing me since it's a brand new car ! View attachment 3841 ink the paint got damaged somehow. Here's the photo:
That is etching in the clear coat and yes that can happen in just a few days. You're going to have to polish the spot out to reduce as much as possible.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Probably done by now....................clay bar and elbow grease for future bug spots clay bar is worth they $$.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts