2018 Honda Accord Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2019 Accord

1. has insulation around the battery, my 2014 Accord did not
2. The battery has been moved from the front driver's side back towards the firewall and towards the center

About #1. Perhaps the engine runs hotter and battery needs the protection? And yet I have heard that in winter we're going to have a hard time getting enough heat to run the cabin heater, these small engines are just too efficient.

About #2. I read that the turbo runs at 100,000 rpm (!) and reaches temperatures of 1300F (it's in the manual). I'm wondering if the heat from this component is one of the reasons for moving the battery.

Also about #2. The 2019 Accord, compared to my former 2014 LX manual, feels light and maneuverable. Quiet like a family sedan but maneuvers like a sport civic. I guess the 1.5L engine is lighter than my former 2.4. But I'm thinking if they tried to shift some of the weight (like the battery) behind the front axels to improve handling.

Greg N

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
Too bad they can't capture the turbo heat to boost the cabin heater performance.

·
Super Moderator
1,840 Posts
Insulation around the battery and moving it to the back of the engine compartment is probably to protect it from all the heat produced by the engine specifically the turbo.

Regarding heating up the cabin in the winter I remote start my car a few minutes before I'm ready too go out and get in it (w/the heated seats left in the on position) which helps knock the chill out of the car before I get in it. I also have a heated steering wheel I use during the colder months (wish it would come on when I used the remote start but it doesn't). By doing this I don't have an issue or feel the car is not heating up quick enough or sufficiently. YMMV

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would love to see a diagram of the engine as viewed from under the hood I can't make heads or tails of it. I don't think Haynes or Chilton have cracked the 2018 yet.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts