2018 Honda Accord Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Sport SE 1.5L
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I’m new to modding my car and was wondering if anyone was was willing to help me out with some tips on exhaust options. I have a Honda Accord Sport SE 1.5L, and have been looking at a couple of options but am unfamiliar with terms. I have every intent to let a professional install anything ( I’d hate to do it myself and ruin something that costs hundreds of dollars), but I would love to have recommendations and possibly a breakdown of what options are best for my car. Thanks for the help in advance!

·
Registered
2021 Sport SE 1.5L
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Generally the main difference between straight pipe and catback, which option would be recommended for my vehicle, etc. I’m completely new to exhaust, and was wondering if there are recommendations on what to use and what to stay away from.

·
Registered
2019 2.0 EXL
520 Posts
Generally the main difference between straight pipe and catback, which option would be recommended for my vehicle, etc. I’m completely new to exhaust, and was wondering if there are recommendations on what to use and what to stay away from.
Straight pipe is just that - plain metal tubing. No resonators, no catalytic converters, no mufflers, etc... Catback is everything after the catalytic converter - e.g. a catback exhaust system retains the stock catalytic converter and typically replaces everything from there to the exhaust tips.

Why, or for what purposes/reasons, are you looking to buy an exhaust system for your car? And what are your local ordinances/statutes on modifying your exhaust?

·
Registered
2021 Sport SE 1.5L
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Straight pipe is just that - plain metal tubing. No resonators, no catalytic converters, no mufflers, etc... Catback is everything after the catalytic converter - e.g. a catback exhaust system retains the stock catalytic converter and typically replaces everything from there to the exhaust tips.

Why, or for what purposes/reasons, are you looking to buy an exhaust system for your car? And what are your local ordinances/statutes on modifying your exhaust?

I want to change the look of my vehicle, but not just for show so to speak. If I’m investing any type of money into it, I want to achieve some type of performance boost, or at the very least, get the car to sound much nicer than it does currently. It’s pretty quiet at the moment, and honestly doesn’t appeal to me as it is now. As for the local ordnances/ statutes, I’m in the gulf state area, but I don’t know the exact restrictions they put in place for that. However in my local town, there plenty of people who mod their vehicles out here ( specifically trucks, chargers, and Camaros) , but none that know anything about modding accords. I’m not looking to make it excessively loud, if that helps any.

·
Registered
2019 2.0 EXL
520 Posts
YouTube has quite a few exhaust videos - e.g. Borla, Thermal, DC Sports, Magnaflow, etc - and this site and DA have quite a few threads about them as well.

Personally, I think exhausts are WAY more noticeable aurally than visually and if you want any significant boosts in performance, you might want to consider KTuner or Hondata and also consider the cost vs benefits for your 1.5L. Word of mouth is that stock Honda exhausts give pretty decent flow...

·
Registered
2018 Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT
560 Posts
you could probably do tips, a muffler delete for some added sound and ktuner for cheaper or at least the same price as a decent exhaust. I say Ktuner because I'm partial to their platform and tune as opposed to Hondata. Ktuner is fairly easy to find a tuner if you want to go for a custom tune and the option you get straight out of the box are really nice. Tune by far gives you the biggest bump in peformance, BUT you'll sacrifice your warranty so keep that in mind. some people don't care but idk where you stand

·
Registered
2019 2.0 EXL
520 Posts
Check out some of the videos and compare the different sounds - not going to be exact or 100% accurate due to all the recording variables but you can get a general idea... If you mod your exhaust, I would recommend trying to keep things "reversible" - if you wanted/needed to (e.g. fix it ticket or selling your vehicle), you could bring it back to stock condition without too much difficulty. If you don't want to mod your ECU, a piggy back unit (e.g. like a JB4) might be worth looking into.

·
Registered
2021 Sport SE 1.5L
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Check out some of the videos and compare the different sounds - not going to be exact or 100% accurate due to all the recording variables but you can get a general idea... If you mod your exhaust, I would recommend trying to keep things "reversible" - if you wanted/needed to (e.g. fix it ticket or selling your vehicle), you could bring it back to stock condition without too much difficulty. If you don't want to mod your ECU, a piggy back unit (e.g. like a JB4) might be worth looking into.
Awesome! I’ll give those a look and keep those factors in mind! Thanks for the help and tips guys , I greatly appreciate it

·
Registered
Lunar Silver 2019 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 10AT
341 Posts
Downpipe and a Tuner is what will give you real performance gains. The rest is just noise in all honesty.

I recommend KTuner and PRL Motorsports for a Downpipe if you want performance. The Ktuner comes with a few OTS Tunes.

·
Registered
2018 Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT
560 Posts
^And options to run more than 1 tune so you can be stock boost with better responsiveness or stage 1 in "econ" and stage 2 in sport. I can't say much for hondata but ktuner is very user friendly and gives you some nice quick options (throttle response, rev hang delete, turbo response etc) to tailor the tune to you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi All! New to the forum. New to Hondas. Not so new to modding and tuning, but it has generally been domestic. So I got a PLM upper and lower DP (catted) running into a ReV9 exhaust on my 2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0t. Everything installed fine.....What a job! I am getting ready to button up my engine compartment and have a question. On my down pipe there is an O2 bung at the top ( pre cat), but the upstream O2 sensors factory placement is top center of the turbo. I have noticed on the Civic R the upstream factory O2 sensor placement is in the top of the downpipe and not the turbo. The question is would there be any ill effects to my Acorrd if I blocked the turbo O2 bung and moved the O2 sensor over to the downpipe location....Pre Cat of course. Thanks!

·
Registered
2020 Accord Sport 2.0t
35 Posts
My understanding is that if you relocate the O2 sensor it requires a tune to run correctly.

For example, when I installed my new turbo, I HAD to relocate the O2 sensor to the downpipe. It required a base map tune to run after that

1 - 16 of 16 Posts