2018 Honda Accord Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
Since I picked up my 2018 Touring 2.0T, I thought the ride was a bit harsh on country roads, etc. I later discovered the dealer had set the tire pressure to almost 38 lbs!! The sticker on the door suggest 33 lbs. I think all models have the Michelin tires? Not certain. But there is no "model name" on the tires. I chatted with Michelin and asked if they could help me identify the model name. They did and I forget the name at the moment but they also suggested the 33 lbs per the door sticker. I even talked with my dealer and they thought 38 was too high as well. Suggested i move it down to 34-35.

I have yet to do this. Thought I would ask the board what they are doing in this area? I am under the impression a less inflated tire will help smooth out the harsh ride but also may negatively impact the handling. Has anyone noticed this and made a change?

Thx DD

·
Registered
179 Posts
The Touring has Michelin 235/40R19 tires with a maximum of 50 PSI.

1. For the softest ride, use the car manufacturer's recommendation. Note: The tires won't last as long.
  2. For the maximum mileage, use 90% of the tire's maximum PSI. Note: The ride may feel a little harsher.

Honda recommends 33 PSI which is only 66% of the max. (i.e., 17 PSI below the max). IMO, this is awfully low, and thus underinflated. Your tires will wear fast. Also, with such a low profile, the tires are more prone to damage from pot holes.

I want the maximum mileage out of my tires. So, I apply the 90% rule and set mine to 45 PSI on my Touring. I'm OK with the ride, and it reduces the likelihood of pot hole damage.

Decide what's best for you.

NOTE: Tire manufacturers will not go against the car manufacturer's recommendation regardless of the tire's capabilities.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I would say that riding preference is going to vary pretty significantly from person to person. Its going to boil down to weather or not you want a longer lifetime or more comfortable ride.

·
Registered
158 Posts
A bit off from the subject, but I have seen no feedback regarding the active suspension on the Touring model. In order to evaluate that one would have to have driven both the Touring and (in my case) the Sport. I believe Car and Driver reported equal handling but a better ride with the Touring. That, of course, is the point. I am not inclined to trade my Sport for a Touring, but just curious.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Something else to consider:

The Touring's 40% sidewall profile on a 19" rim will always ride harsh regardless of what PSI you chose.

·
Super Moderator
199 Posts
I would be wary of inflating them to the maximum pressure. I'm sure manufacturers allow for increased pressure due to heat build up but even so I would leave a few pounds leeway to allow for extreme build up. As said previously, the higher the pressure the rougher the ride. Add in another helping of rough ride if low profile tires are in use.

I'm considering new wheels to go from 225/50-17 to 205/60-16 tires on mine. It would save about 15 pounds per corner and give an easier to get rolling and keep rolling width to the tires. It would also give a more comfortable 60% profile instead of the 50% profile from the factory. I wouldn't want the lower profile 19's even if they were free.

·
Super Moderator
830 Posts
I would be wary of inflating them to the maximum pressure. I'm sure manufacturers allow for increased pressure due to heat build up but even so I would leave a few pounds leeway to allow for extreme build up. As said previously, the higher the pressure the rougher the ride. Add in another helping of rough ride if low profile tires are in use.

I'm considering new wheels to go from 225/50-17 to 205/60-16 tires on mine. It would save about 15 pounds per corner and give an easier to get rolling and keep rolling width to the tires. It would also give a more comfortable 60% profile instead of the 50% profile from the factory. I wouldn't want the lower profile 19's even if they were free.
They aren't that bad... I like the look and where I live the roads aren't that bad so the lower profile tires aren't that big of a deal. The only concern I have is the worry of "curb rash". With the big wheels & low profile tires you have to be very careful when getting close to curbs... even more so w/me having the black alloy wheels. Any "curb rash" will be more noticeable on a black wheel than it would be w/a chrome/silver wheel. :sad:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts