2018 Honda Accord Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 2018 Accord Touring Hybrid with 21k miles. I just took it in for its second oil change. They found an unrepairable nail puncture in the right rear tire. They informed me that I would need to replace both rear tires at the tune of $400.00. Does anyone know it the requirement to replace both tires is factual?

·
Administrator
2,613 Posts
I have heard on all wheel drive (AWD) vehicles that it is necessary to replace all four tires if one needs replacing. Reason being is that "the reduced diameter of the lower-tread tires causes them to spin faster than a new one. Wheels moving at different speeds on an AWD vehicle will put the vehicle into 4-wheel lock, which can cause damage to the drive train". Since our cars are front wheel drive and the tire needing replacement is the rear other than the possibility of the lower tread tire spinning faster don't know what the ill effect could/would be since it's not connected to the drive train... however when it came time to rotate the tires then there would be a difference in the tread depth (one being lower than the other) on the front. :unsure:

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
When they say unrepairable where is the puncture? I had a nail in my tire toward the outside edge and I repaired it with a plug on my Camaro RunFlat which is a performance tire. I just don't go much past 75 mph. Repaired it 8K miles ago with no issues. Dealers are going to want to replace due to liability issues. Your call.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts