2018 Honda Accord Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I've tried to search this question already, but didn't find any helpful answers... I use Meguiars tire gel on my 20`8 Accord Sport 2.0t. Now, I understand that certain tire shines don't create "sling" on the paint. The gel I use is pretty thick of course. I do love the deep gloss/shine effect though. Are there any other tire shine products on market that will give me the same effect, but without the "sling"? I'd rather not start diluting a chemical out in water if I don't have to. I'd prefer to just use the products directly from the bottle. However, almost every time I drive my car, I do get a bit of sling on the paint, which of course I have to clean off my paint most of the times! Thanks for any suggestions!

·
Super Moderator
1,418 Posts
I use Black Magic Tire Shine products, however I also apply them with Eagle One Tire Swipes and use a dry swipe to wipe excess residue off before driving the car. Using this method I don't get any "sling" on the side of the car. If you like and are happy w/the product you are using try just using something similar to the swipes mentioned above to wipe tires down after application of your product. Doing this procedure and waiting awhile before you drive the car may allow your product to totally dry and eliminate the "sling".

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey, thank you very much for the help! I've honestly never hard of the Tire Swipes, but i have seen the foam contoured applicator pad in the past at auto stores. I've been using just a regular black foam painting brush that I bought from Home Depot. Do you think that's good enough though? How long do you usually allow for the tire gel to dry after applying it? Yeah, I do love the tire gel I've been using. Works well, and it does smell very good at the same time.

·
Super Moderator
1,418 Posts
No problem, you're welcome. If you're happy w/the foam paint brush for application I would first try using a swipe to get the excess off. I usually wait 30 - 60 minutes at minimum before I drive the car but I'm using the swipes to apply and wipe down. The main thing is you have to get the excess off before driving the car, and be happy w/the look after you wipe excess off.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No problem, you're welcome. If you're happy w/the foam paint brush for application I would first try using a swipe to get the excess off. I usually wait 30 - 60 minutes at minimum before I drive the car but I'm using the swipes to apply and wipe down. The main thing is you have to get the excess off before driving the car, and be happy w/the look after you wipe excess off.
Hey, thanks again soo much! I think my frustration does stem from the excess gel that's left on my tires honestly. I have paper towels in my garage that I'll have to start using after every application to wipe the excess off of each tire. That's for sure.

·
Super Moderator
1,418 Posts
Hey, thanks again soo much! I think my frustration does stem from the excess gel that's left on my tires honestly. I have paper towels in my garage that I'll have to start using after every application to wipe the excess off of each tire. That's for sure.
Only caveat I can think of w/using a paper towel (especially w/a gel product) is you may have fibers from the paper towels sticking to/remaining on the tires. With the foam swipes nothing comes off them they just absorb the excess product. If you have an extra foam paint brush try using that to wipe off excess if you don't want to purchase the swipes initially.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Only caveat I can think of w/using a paper towel (especially w/a gel product) is you may have fibers from the paper towels sticking to/remaining on the tires. With the foam swipes nothing comes off them they just absorb the excess product. If you have an extra foam paint brush try using that to wipe off excess if you don't want to purchase the swipes initially.
Hey, that's a good idea. Thanks. I might have one extra brush in my garage. I mean if i don't have it, I'd just buy the curved foam applicator pad at this point. IT's all about getting rid of the excess gel on my tires.. Thanks so much fro your help so far!

·
Super Moderator
1,418 Posts
Hey, that's a good idea. Thanks. I might have one extra brush in my garage. I mean if i don't have it, I'd just buy the curved foam applicator pad at this point. IT's all about getting rid of the excess gel on my tires.. Thanks so much fro your help so far!
Been a few days... have you tried the new procedure applying the tire shine, and how did it turn it out?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Been a few days... have you tried the new procedure applying the tire shine, and how did it turn it out?
Hey, sorry for not responding back.... Yeah i have been applying too much tire gel to my tires. I've basically been putting on layer over layer of gel on my tires which was slinging like crazy onto my door panels. lol. From now on, I'm just going to put enough on so that the tires look shiny, and that's it.

·
Super Moderator
1,418 Posts
Hey, sorry for not responding back.... Yeah i have been applying too much tire gel to my tires. I've basically been putting on layer over layer of gel on my tires which was slinging like crazy onto my door panels. lol. From now on, I'm just going to put enough on so that the tires look shiny, and that's it.
Awesome... glad you got it figured out. Sucks making more work for yourself when trying to make your car look good.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts