2018 Honda Accord Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after talking to all intake manufactures I could think of, no one has returned a solid answer, except pfe, and they have no time line. So I am working on a design of my own, short ram. Ill be 3D printing it when I am complete. This will not replace the complete intake system but it will give you the opportunity to mount a traditional intake filter and mount your MAF to it.

Attachments

·
Registered
98 Posts
That's a solution most wouldn't think of and the potential for perfectly fitted parts! Curious how you can get your hands on a 3D printer, only one I can access is at my friend's school.
Looking forward to the completed intake!

·
Registered
318 Posts
Have you looked at any universal short ram systems? I find it hard to believe that there isn't one already that would fit in the Accord. Just need to find one with the right positioning/angle. Although that would require a full removal of the stock system. Anyways good luck with it!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello I have my own 3d printer , and I have a fancy one at work. I'm currently printing a test piece to fit the MAF properly after that the rest is easy.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Looking forward to seeing it. What companies are you considering for the intake itself? I've always been very happy with K&N products.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a prototype in my car now, there is no need to explore blow off valves as you can satisfy that urge with just an intake. I'll be posting final part and up loading it too thingiverse for others to print if they would like.

Attachments

·
Registered
318 Posts
Look forward to seeing it installed and hopefully we can get a sound clip? That's probably why there is so much interest in an aftermarket intake, so we can get rid of the stock BOV silencer.

·
Registered
98 Posts
That black thing is the printed part? Wouldn't be able to tell if it wasn't for your file image from a previous post.
How's it sound so far?

·
Registered
318 Posts
That looks great dude! Love how swapping out the OEM intake removes the factory BOV silencer. Are you considering putting in some sort of heat shield?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi guys the plan is thingiverse , or a very low $ if you want me too make you one. I considered wrapping it , its kinda in trial phase now, the material is ABS which need 210-230 f to deform. The IR shot is after an HR of driving in about 70 degree weather.

Attachments

·
Registered
318 Posts
You got any sound clips yet of some pulls? I'm assuming that with the aftermarket intake that you can now hear the stock BOV?

·
Registered
33 Posts
How much!?!? I’ll help you try it out! Haha. Where is the stock BOV anyway? And why is it so quiet? Anyway to make it louder with the stock intake?

·
Registered
151 Posts
On some cars the silencer can be removed which may make the stock BOV louder. No idea where that's located on the Accord though, but I've found it easiest to access from the drivers side wheel well in other cars.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Accord uses a recirculation valve which is located just on the other side of the MAF. That's why I usually not recommended to use a BOV because the air goes to atmosphere but the car is already accounted for it and added fuel sometimes making your car run rich. With this piece you're able to keep the recirculation valve and since the valve is so close to the filter you can achieve the blow-off sound you desire.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So sorry guys I have been kinda held back on this but I wanted to do diligence and test it to my best ability, I have ktuner and I have been logging the temp and AIT #1. I am confident enough now to say this is a solid solution. I know alot of people have inquired on purchasing one, which I will be making available. Cost to be determined no more than 30$ with heat reflective heat wrap option.

·
Registered
31 Posts
So sorry guys I have been kinda held back on this but I wanted to do diligence and test it to my best ability, I have ktuner and I have been logging the temp and AIT #1. I am confident enough now to say this is a solid solution. I know alot of people have inquired on purchasing one, which I will be making available. Cost to be determined no more than 30$ with heat reflective heat wrap option.
Are you able to log more variables with KTuner? I'd be interested in seeing the datapoints below:

IAT
IDC
AFR at WOT
STFT
LTFT
Knock (particularly because of where the filter is pulling air)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Are you able to log more variables with KTuner? I'd be interested in seeing the datapoints below:

IAT
IDC
AFR at WOT
STFT
LTFT
Knock (particularly because of where the filter is pulling air)
Yeah I am and have

But as a disclosure I am already tuned with base map stage #2, and working on tuning the MAF scale.

IAT #1 variable cooler when car is moving
IAT #2 usually 10-20 degrees cooler until pushing it hard , these number basically start to match eachother.
AFR wot 13-14
Short term #1 around -5% to -18%
Long term #1 -15%
Knock count around 15
Knock control .50-.60 also a variable.

Knock count or control?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yeah I am and have

But as a disclosure I am already tuned with base map stage #2, and working on tuning the MAF scale.

IAT #1 variable cooler when car is moving
IAT #2 usually 10-20 degrees cooler until pushing it hard , these number basically start to match eachother.
AFR wot 13-14
Short term #1 around -5% to -18%
Long term #1 -15%
Knock count around 15
Knock control .50-.60 also a variable.

Knock count or control?
I haven't done much tuning with DI cars, is an AFR in the 13 range normal? Seems extremely lean to me...but I'm only familiar with tuning Port Injection cars.

So under full load the car is actually pulling some fuel? I guess that means there is a lot of headroom in the stock fuel system. Again, I'm new to DI tuning so I'm not really sure what normal is with these cars.

With regards to knock, I'd be curious to see if you had any knock counts.

Thanks for the datapoints!

1 - 20 of 73 Posts