2018 Honda Accord Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Adaptive, Adjustable, Active, semi-Active? I'd like to get more information about the Honda damper system in the Accord Touring Models. Does the suspension system in the Accord Touring JUST toggle between sport/firm and normal/comfort? Or is this suspension doing a little more than just that?

As I understand it, the system is "adaptive" in that it has two modes, normal (softer, comfort oriented) and sport (firmer).
( Honda Information Center - Adaptive Damper System (Touring) ). This makes it sound like the system is just "adjustable" between Comfort and Sport, and no other benefits to the system.

I've also read this Honda Press Kit information on the Accord, which states that the adaptive damper system "can adjust every 0.002 seconds to adapt individual wheels to road surfaces." ( 2018 Honda Accord Press Kit - Chassis ) This leads me to believe that the suspension is somewhat "adaptive" or "active" and constantly monitoring to provide the best ride, regardless of the above comfort/Sport on/off. In my mind, regardless of drive mode, the car would (as an example) hit a bump and even out the ride quicker than say the Accord Sport suspension system.

I've done various Googling on the issue to try and learn more, but don't think i'm car-tech savvy enough to really understand the difference (if any) between adaptive suspension, adjustable suspension, and active/semi active suspensions. Then you start reading into the various types of systems offered by manufacturers and it gets even more complicated. I see a lot of information about Acuras damper systems, but they have different names that include the three "A"s above. When I try and look for more in depth information on just the Accord damper system, the 2nd link above is about the most detail I can find. None of the reviews really discuss the suspension in detail (other than normal and firmer in Sport), or provide any comparison. I only have a Touring, so i'm not sure what the ride is like in other Accord trims.

I would really appreciate it if there was a test set up as follows: Taking the same road course in Accord Sport (since same size wheels), then the Accord Touring in normal mode, then Touring in sport mode, to try and gleam what the differences would be from the driver's perspective.

Thanks!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi all. Wondering if anyone has driven a Touring and Sport back to back that could comment on the differences in the suspensions. Specifically, I'm wondering how much of a difference the Touring's adaptive damper system plays in the ride quality between the two cars.

I had posted before wondering more about the Touring's adaptive dampers, but didn't get any attention.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi chad, I have driven both the 2021 Honda Accord se sport 1.5t (bought one for my wife) as well as the 2021 accord touring 2.0t. There definitely is a difference in ride quality between the fixed damper suspension in the se sport ( as well as lx, exl, and sport models) compared to the adaptive damper system in the touring accords. In the touring and in normal mode, the adaptive dampers have fluid that flows through the valving, providing a more comfortable and cushioned ride. While in sport mode, the adaptive dampers constrict the flow through the valving which firms up the ride and allows the accord to corner better with less body roll.

To sum up, with both accords in normal or eco driving modes (not sport), the adaptive dampers in the touring provide a slightly more cushioned and softer ride than the other accord trims with fixed dampers. Even with the larger 19 wheels, to me the touring felt smoother than the exl I test drove, which only had 17 wheels. Touring vs my wife’s SE sport...well the touring felt significantly smoother. Of note, the touring comes with Michelin all seasons and the sport and se sport 1.5t trims come with Goodyear all seasons. Either way, all accord trims have pleasant ride quality, but the adaptive dampers on the touring take it to another level in terms of refined ride quality. Sorry for the long winded response, but wanted to be clear that the adaptive dampers do ride better and why. Ps, I’m most likely buying a 2021 touring accord shortly, as my wife and I are very pleased with her new 2021 Se sport. The se sport rides shockingly great despite the fixed dampers and large 19 wheels. The slightly softer ride of the touring is definitely more my style though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts