2018 Honda Accord Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I was able to run my car at Road America all day at a Charity event. I ran in five sessions. It was the most awesome thing I have ever done. The car was amazing. The look on faces of some of the people I passed on the straightaway had to be priceless. Nothing like passing Mustang GT's, Carmaro's, BMW's, WRX's ect at 120 mph. I had multiple drivers come and talk to me after some runs including drivers of a BMW M5, and Mercedes AMG. Everyone seemed shocked by the performance of this car on the track, the power and the cornering. I did get passed by a few Corvette ZR1's and some Porsche 911's but the Accord held it's own against almost everyone. I would love to see what it would do with some better tires and suspension work! I didn't get any pics of the car on the track but the Track's photographer did, hopefully they will be available soon.

P.S. This NSX was amazing to watch on the Track with a Pro Driver.

Attachments

·
Registered
169 Posts
Nice! There’s nothing better than beasting a car around a road course. I did an SRT track day a handful of years ago at Road America and a 2-day Cadillac V-Performance Racing School at Spring Mountain Motor Resort in Nevada this past February. Both were an absolute blast.

If you’re ever interested in taking a pretty cool vacation, check out Spring Mountain Motorsports...It’s basically a country club resort for people who like racing cars.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Yesterday I was able to run my car at Road America all day at a Charity event. I ran in five sessions. It was the most awesome thing I have ever done. The car was amazing. The look on faces of some of the people I passed on the straightaway had to be priceless. Nothing like passing Mustang GT's, Carmaro's, BMW's, WRX's ect at 120 mph. I had multiple drivers come and talk to me after some runs including drivers of a BMW M5, and Mercedes AMG. Everyone seemed shocked by the performance of this car on the track, the power and the cornering. I did get passed by a few Corvette ZR1's and some Porsche 911's but the Accord held it's own against almost everyone. I would love to see what it would do with some better tires and suspension work! I didn't get any pics of the car on the track but the Track's photographer did, hopefully they will be available soon.

P.S. This NSX was amazing to watch on the Track with a Pro Driver.
Good work and sounds like you are pleased. Car and Driver mag reported, in their multi car comparison at VIR, that their test 2.0T did better than expected against some very sporty cars. Two questions: Is your car a M/T or 10 speed? How did your brakes do? C & D reported big brake fade. Brakes would be a fairly simple and relatively inexpensive improvement. Maybe our grocery getters are decent track cars.

How many laps/miles?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Good work and sounds like you are pleased. Car and Driver mag reported, in their multi car comparison at VIR, that their test 2.0T did better than expected against some very sporty cars. Two questions: Is your car a M/T or 10 speed? How did your brakes do? C & D reported big brake fade. Brakes would be a fairly simple and relatively inexpensive improvement. Maybe our grocery getters are decent track cars.

How many laps/miles?

The OEM pads are meant for all around driving able to address stopping at temperature extremes. Wouldn't be surprised if they faded or even got used up depending on the duration of the track work. I agree that brake pads would be a relatively easy swap for track visits, DOT 4 fluid might not be a bad idea either.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

How many laps/miles?

I have the 10 Speed, it worked great, I did try using the paddle shifters on a lap and it didn't go well...need more practice. The brakes were getting pretty warm at the end of each 20 minute run but I didn't feel I was losing any braking ability. I'm sure the Driver they used for C & D was a pro and drove it a lot harder than me.

The Track is around 4 miles long, 14 turns, and the runs were 5+ laps each time.
I personally drove close 100 miles on the Track.

Attachments

·
Registered
103 Posts
Congratulations it sounds like everyone had a great time especially you in the Accord

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have the 10 Speed, it worked great, I did try using the paddle shifters on a lap and it didn't go well...need more practice. The brakes were getting pretty warm at the end of each 20 minute run but I didn't feel I was losing any braking ability. I'm sure the Driver they used for C & D was a pro and drove it a lot harder than me.

The Track is around 4 miles long, 14 turns, and the runs were 5+ laps each time.
I personally drove close 100 miles on the Track.

Road America is certainly one of, if not, the best road courses in the US. I am envious. There are lots of places to go very fast there, but compared to other tracks, not a lot of tight turns strung together with short straights that are murder on brakes. I assume you were using the OEM a/s tires. More track dedicated summer tires would make for better lap times, but would stress the brakes even more. Don’t know if anyone is making performance brake pads yet, but better pads, DOT 4 brake fluid and better tires should improve the track experience without compromising the daily driver abilities. I have the 10 speed as well. Assuming there were no issues with it. You probably ran in Sport mode all day. Was the understeer manageable?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Road America is certainly one of, if not, the best road courses in the US. I am envious. There are lots of places to go very fast there, but compared to other tracks, not a lot of tight turns strung together with short straights that are murder on brakes. I assume you were using the OEM a/s tires. More track dedicated summer tires would make for better lap times, but would stress the brakes even more. Don’t know if anyone is making performance brake pads yet, but better pads, DOT 4 brake fluid and better tires should improve the track experience without compromising the daily driver abilities. I have the 10 speed as well. Assuming there were no issues with it. You probably ran in Sport mode all day. Was the understeer manageable?

Yeah, I was using the stock tires, they did well for my novice driving style but obviously a stickier tire would be better. There are things I want to do to the car but being a daily driver and having crappy winters I'm not sure yet. No issues with the transmission and yes I was in Sport Mode all day. Understeer wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What grade gas where you running? I have read that performance does go up with premium.

I just ran 87, they had 98 Octane fuel at the track for $8.50 a GAL. My buddy put some in his Civic SI. I will try premium next time I go.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Neat Read and Great Track for Testing . . I went up to Rt 129 the Dragon where it's Normal to Sport Drive through there around the Limits of Course . .
Here are some Guys I have Porting for "Day Out On Riding the Dragon" : : https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Volvo%27s+c30%27s+conquer+dragon&&view=detail&mid=07D120ADB44581A54D1F07D120ADB44581A54D1F&&FORM=VRDGAR

I had No Issues , in Handling department - other then trying to get use to the Cars set up ..
Sport Mode was High Revving , so I switched back to ECO - Haa LOL I didn't realize to way Farther down the road that Pushing Eco Twice - Placed System in Normal Mode ..1st Day of Ownership .
Normal Mode would been much better in there as First it is "Very Tight" then It loosens Up and short semi straights get up to say 60 then Bam , right down to Down Hill Off Camber
Super Tight Lefts & Rights with Big Rocks 3 ft from road or 40ft Drop Offs or More in other Area's . ( Have Keep High Alert 110% Time ) ..
Also sometimes 1 Ton Trucks - running through there Nuts - they'll be over the Center Line - use to be Big Rigs - which they have Just Out Lawed those this Past Yr. ( Yeah )
That Track Time Sounds Awesome . .

I'll Try it again in Normal Mode and Mid Grade , but I Prefer the Blue Ridge Parkway , Going on Fall Drive . . can't wait ..https://www.blueridgeparkway.org/

·
Registered
163 Posts
Looks like you are the pioneer for those looking to wring out their Accords on the track. Another question; how did you stay in the seat? On my favorite local twisty, I need to brace by legs against the door and console, using the steering wheel for my upper body. None of this is the suggested form for the job. Back in the day, we used to just tighten the lap belt until we could barely breath. Not possible now.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts